Author Topic: strangeness about Street Fighter II..  (Read 5658 times)

MLX

• View Profile
strangeness about Street Fighter II..
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:56:03 PM »
Here's the question:
Master Fighter II or Street Fighter II ?

Because this auction poped up on YHJ few weeks ago...
http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h143585523
I noticed one difference between the 2 games: MFII has chinese text instead of YOKO on Chun Lee stage.

Maybe MF was supposed to be sold in other countries than Taiwan... Or maybe we will never know (note: my copy of SFII is actually MFII).

Any idea ?

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 04:07:19 PM »
Huh, that's odd. The fact that the "Yoko's" on the title screen are still around, I kinda want to say Master Fighter II because it makes more sense if the Chinese text got edited into Yoko instead of the other way around.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 04:07:32 PM by KingPepe »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 04:13:28 PM »
That text was copied from the official Street Fighter II, which initially lead me to think that MFII came out first and then Yoko edited the sign for SFII. However, MFIII does the same thing and that came out in 1993 so I'll say SFII was first.
Edit: Scratch that, turns out MFVI uses the Yoko sign. My guess would be that Yoko made SFII first, edited the sign for MFII and MFIII and then took the background from SFII for MFVI. A wild guess, but I wouldn't say farfetched.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 04:22:33 PM by Awesome Panda »

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 04:59:45 PM »
Also, it seems not all SFII copies had the YOKO writing in english. There's a video on youtube (webcam to tv) where it is in chinese.
Also on MFIV' it is with normal letters.
But Master fit less good on the title than Street but "Street" looks like it was done before due to the style at how it's made...

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 05:38:28 PM »
The other thing I find weird is that it isn't the "XOXO Soft" version which also removes the Yoko. Also if this helps, Master Fighter VI' has the "Yoko" in Chun-Li's level.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:02:13 PM by KingPepe »

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 03:44:56 AM »
I forgot to edit my post because I typed: MFIV' instead of MFVI'.

On the XoXo version, the names in the credits sequence are replaced by XXXXXXXXX.

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 08:45:21 AM »
I know that, I'm just pointing out how usually the XOXO versions have the Yoko's blocked out by Chinese letters.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 01:31:23 PM »
well that's weird. I always assumed SFII came first, because they stuck to the Master Fighter name for MFVI. but if that was the case it wouldnt make sense for them to remove their name from Chun-Li's stage for MFII, then put it back in for MFVI.

I guess maybe they made both MFII and SFII around the same time, MFII for countries where they couldn't get away with using the Street Fighter name and SFII for everywhere else, then at some later point they released another version of SFII with their name edited into the background (possibly as a reaction to the xoxo hack)?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:31:56 PM by taizou »

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 10:49:28 AM »
Bringing this back to life, I saw some people use again MFII, but we are still not sure...

In SFII (not MFII), there's a debug code wich let us have unlimited health. It was probably removed in MFII because some hacker had released a hack with always unlimited health on.
Also, Yoko didn't fit well in the Chun Lee Stage (SFII) so they probably modified it to Chinese and decided to keep it as it in Master Fighter VI'.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:50:10 AM by MLX »

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 11:18:15 AM »
I know there's a cartridge going around that had the invincibility code on the cart itself but I forgot if it was SFII or MFII.

EDIT: It was Street Fighter II.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 11:19:46 AM by KingPepe »