Author Topic: Handheld Underground dumps thread  (Read 50770 times)

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Handheld Underground dumps thread
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 11:00:59 AM »
Yay! Cheers taizou! Gonna have fun with this one. :D

And Barver: He uses a SmartBoy for all the new dumps (It's a flash cart, but it includes a USB flasher/dumper)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 02:05:09 PM »
Barver
Nov 16 2012, 02:24:30 AM
I'm surprised you're getting all these games dumped. Was it you who had that Beggar Prince port from Sintax? That's something I'd like to see if you ever could figure it out =p[/quote]yeah, you're not the first to request that one, but it's really well protected unfortunately - nothing I have can read it at all.

Quote:

BTW are you just using that GBTransfer2 or whatever device and then modifying the dumps it outputs?[/quote]
pretty much. but as rob said i have a Smartboy now too, 99% of the time they both result in the same dump, but the Smartboy is easier to use since it works under modern operating systems (whereas I have to boot into a crappy WinXP live CD to use the GB Transferer 2).

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2012, 05:47:23 PM »
Oh yay I have a GB Transferer 2, you know what that means...

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2012, 08:36:29 PM »
that means... this happens! http://hhug.me/?post=15 yay
also, to repeat my comment on that post - if you downloaded the fixed rom before 00:47 GMT and it has the extension .gb instead of .gbc, it's a slightly-broken version, so please redownload it and forget the earlier version ever existed. sorry!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 08:54:13 PM by taizou »

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2012, 08:59:27 PM »
Nice to see that we're starting to get more and more of these Game Boy titles dumped.  Maybe within time we can see all of them dumped, especially the V.Fame ones.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2012, 09:23:14 PM »
Yeah, I hope so!

BigFred

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2012, 01:36:49 PM »
Quote:

whereas I have to boot into a crappy WinXP live CD to use the GB Transferer 2[/quote]

Hello taizou

you can use the GBT 2 software with Windows 7 by choosing the XP compatibility mode. No problem here.

I have a little question: On your hp I read you found two more Mani 4 in 1 carts. Can you do a dump of this one please? http://hhug.me/?post=5
I don't know if it can be fully dumped but if you can read the menu (32k?) it will maybe be enough to reconstruct the complete ROM image. Thanks in
advance.

btw I did redumps of Thunder Blast Man and Jurassic Boy II. I'm not sure if they are correct though. There is a strange phenomenon regarding the Sachen custom
logo which I don't understand yet. The scene dumps do not have a custom bootup logo but contain just the regular one. My dumps actually have both just like the Beast Fighter dump I did earlier. But: There are raw reads of two of the 4 in 1 games made with an EPROM programmer and they do not have the Sachen logo while a read from the pins actually does.
It is possible the custom logo is not stored in the ROM chip but somewhere else on the PCB and mapped into memory by the special mapper they use. So technically
a correct dump would just contain the regular one. I'm not sure though if this is really the case and if it applies to all their releases or maybe just the multigame-
carts.

My dumps also got bad checksums which I think is correct as I don't believe Sachen would care about correct ones. Probably the scene releases fixed these.
Ignoring the header/logo my dump of TBM matches the scene release perfectly. JB II however is different in several places. It might be a revision, an incorrect dump
or the former release was hacked.

Last but not least can you please explain what you did to "fix" some dumps to 4 MB? Did you redump them at 4 MB forced or is there some special sizing-up treatment I don't understand?
Little update: My copy/dump of Jurassic Boy II appears to be different in some way regarding tiles etc. For example the title screen shows Sachen(R) below the Jurassic Boy II title. The dump in the net does not. Can anyone check his copy of that game? I know there is a chinese label variantion of that at least. Maybe one shows the copyright, the other does not. Or possibly the one in the net is a pirate copy.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:18:03 AM by BigFred »

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2012, 08:49:12 AM »
BigFred
Nov 23 2012, 01:36:49 PM
Little update: My copy/dump of Jurassic Boy II appears to be different in some way regarding tiles etc. For example the title screen shows Sachen(R) below the Jurassic Boy II title. The dump in the net does not. Can anyone check his copy of that game? I know there is a chinese label variantion of that at least. Maybe one shows the copyright, the other does not. Or possibly the one in the net is a pirate copy.[/quote]The one on the net might be a later release.  I had an English release I got from Europe that lacked the copyrights (and a Chinese cart that lacked it as well,) but I have another Chinese release that has the Sachen copyrights.  They might've removed it to avoid legal issues; I know that another company, Vast Fame, removed their logo/copyrights in some later revisions of their games such as in Zook Hero Z and San Guo Zhi: Lie Chuan.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2012, 05:56:10 PM »
BigFred
Nov 23 2012, 01:36:49 PM
you can use the GBT 2 software with Windows 7 by choosing the XP compatibility mode. No problem here.[/quote]It works, but it can't access the device (at least not on this computer - I dunno if there's some kind of configuration issue here, or if it just doesn't work under 64-bit).

Quote:

I have a little question: On your hp I read you found two more Mani 4 in 1 carts. Can you do a dump of this one please? http://hhug.me/?post=5
I don't know if it can be fully dumped but if you can read the menu (32k?) it will maybe be enough to reconstruct the complete ROM image. Thanks in
advance.[/quote]

Yeah, I've dumped the menu already - I'll PM you. I also managed to dump Ganbaruga out of it and its 1:1 identical to the existing Japanese dump, so I guess it should be possible to recreate the multi using the separate dumps of the four games.

Quote:

Last but not least can you please explain what you did to "fix" some dumps to 4 MB? Did you redump them at 4 MB forced or is there some special sizing-up treatment I don't understand?[/quote]

its the latter - the 2mb dumps are complete, i just have to rearrange the banks in a particular way for it to actually work. also theres some bit inversion going on, in different patterns depending on the game.

BigFred

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2012, 06:45:04 AM »
Quote:

The one on the net might be a later release. I had an English release I got from Europe that lacked the copyrights (and a Chinese cart that lacked it as well,) but I have another Chinese release that has the Sachen copyrights. They might've removed it to avoid legal issues; I know that another company, Vast Fame, removed their logo/copyrights in some later revisions of their games such as in Zook Hero Z and San Guo Zhi: Lie Chuan. [/quote]

Thanks a lot for checking your carts. This explains a lot. I guess it is safe to assume the one in the net is an "official" Sachen release then as well. My dump(s) will be public within few hours - probably on retroroms first as usual.

Quote:

It works, but it can't access the device (at least not on this computer - I dunno if there's some kind of configuration issue here, or if it just doesn't work under 64-bit).[/quote]

I'm using 32 bit so I can't tell - I'm sorry :(

Quote:

Yeah, I've dumped the menu already - I'll PM you. I also managed to dump Ganbaruga out of it and its 1:1 identical to the existing Japanese dump, so I guess it should be possible to recreate the multi using the separate dumps of the four games.[/quote]

Thank you for your support - the image was successfully recreated - you got pm ;)

Quote:

its the latter - the 2mb dumps are complete, i just have to rearrange the banks in a particular way for it to actually work. also theres some bit inversion going on, in different patterns depending on the game.[/quote]

Very good news. If everything works as expected then a new Sintax game will be available for you all pretty soon :) PMed about this as well.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2012, 12:26:18 PM »
Oooh a new Sintax game? Well, I hope it's something interesting. :o

BigFred

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2012, 03:51:45 PM »
For sure because it's english (afair) ;) Taizou is working on this but there was a problem unfortunately. I hope it can be solved.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2012, 05:16:54 PM »
Oh yeah taizou tried dumping the Chinese version long ago. Sadly that didnt work. It seems that their early games (2002-3) succeed with the method though.

BigFred

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2012, 02:09:36 PM »
What we really need is proper emulation but I'm not sure who to address.

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2012, 03:08:38 PM »
If it doesn't work on an emulator, it could work on a flashcart. If it doesn't work on a flashcart... Well.. You'll need to figure out something.