Author Topic: Favorite/Worst NES games  (Read 5087 times)

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Favorite/Worst NES games
« on: September 26, 2010, 07:54:34 PM »
Pretty much post your favorite and worst NES/Famicom games here. However, do NOT post something that everyone knows and is bound to agree on (Action 52 being worst, SMB3 being best, etc.) Also no pirates here either.

Favorites:

Gimmick!/Mr. Gimmick - Good graphics, beautiful music, awesome gameplay...honestly one of my all time favorites.

Joy Mech Fight - Probably THE best fighting game for the Famicom/NES. This is a game I honestly want to see remaked or getting a sequel.

Spelunker - This game I feel like is one of the most underrated NES games. Pretty challenging but yet, addicting.

Armadillo - Also known as Super Mario Bros. IV or Rock Roll 3M, a pretty cool platformer that makes you switch back and forth between 2 forms. (Normal and ball)

Worst:
Takeshi No Chousenjou - I like this game for the novelty value but it's pretty crap overall. It's not hard dying here or screwing up really bad. (The karaoke part is annoying)

Castelian/Kyoro Chan Land - Not THE worst but it should have done better as a port from the Commodore 64 version. The music doesn't sound as cool and the bonus screens aren't as fun. They also didn't take much advantage of the new stuff like the fact there is more buttons on the controller.

Winter Games - Another computer classic that got butchered on the NES. Heck, the Atari versions did even better! (My dad ported the 7800 version just throwing that out there) The NES version only has 4 selections which is even less then the 2600's and the controls are horrid on it.

Transformers: Convoy No Nazo - You're just bound to die everywhere in this game and with the bullets going right over the enemies, that doesn't really help. It's weird how a huge robot can easily explode from a bullet. The music is a bit addicting though.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Favorite/Worst NES games
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 02:17:20 PM »
Favourite
Galaga - One of my favourite arcade games ported to the NES, therefore it's bound to be awesome to me. :)

Super Spy Hunter - A rather underrated NES game in my opinion, kind of like the original Spy Hunter injected with Sunsoft awesomeness in some respects.

Rygar - One of the few adventure style games I've ever had the patience to play through, mainly because most of it is platformer style. A favourite of mine because it's well designed and takes a while, but not too long (for my patience, at least) to beat.

Worst
Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends - Terrible audiovisuals, slippery controls, needlessly annoying gameplay and badly designed levels make this a game to avoid at all costs.

Exed Exes - Technically a Famicom game, but still pretty awful with some of the most off-key music, bland graphics and boring gameplay I've ever experienced on the system. And the unlimited continues make it way too easy.

Front Line - Again, a rather boring game with awkward aim, bad hit detection, almost no music, bland graphics and only one level that loops over and over again.

Hokuto no Ken - Awful beat 'em up with a confusing design, (some people haven't even figured out how to go through the doors, for one) an unfair difficulty from the first boss onwards (seems to be complete luck as to whether you beat him or not, and the enemies in the second level are simply too tough) and mediocre audiovisuals.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
Favorite/Worst NES games
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 11:04:07 AM »
FAVOURITE:

Battle City - Tank 1990, maybe?
Conflict - may become boring after time, but still a cool Panzer General clone. Considering that NES is not really into strategy games?
Genghis Khan 2 - oh, didn't I say that this game was on NES too? Liked it on MD, kinda liked it on NES.
Elite - awesome port of an awesome game, yet I have to learn a lot there.
Addams Family - shoddy coding. Sunsoft's version had better music. Still, for a Dizzy-type adventure game, it's more than fine overall.
Goonies - well, that's the first generation NES at it's best. Awesome soundtrack and lotsa underground passages.
Dizzy the Adventurer - well, nothing else to say. It's Dizzy! Also: gorgeous musak.
Felix the Cat - not into platformers since most of them tend to be a clone of each other, but this is one of few exceptions. The atmosphere is beautiful. Same for the powerup system. Have absolutely no idea how Hudson pulled such a weird yet charming sounding out of 20A3...
Gimmick! - that makes Kirby's Adventures partially obsolete. Only complaint: DAMN HOW DO I HOP ON THOSE STARS?!
Summer Carnival '92 - Recca - I still need to say WHY?

WORST:

Lots of pointless first-gen SHMUPs.
Darkman - no, get me right, it's not bad, it has pretty great audiovisuals, as well as level design, BUT the physics are the only reason I don't play it anymore.
Front Line - OMG MY LEGS ARE TANGL'D! Well, that's first-gen at it's WORST.
Zippy Race - again, you're a pedestrain and they are... TANKS. Like in F1 Race, which was plain unfair too. Repetitive music on chasecam sections finishes it.
Super Arabian - oh! ma! godness! Educational arcade game. With such physics, I'd rather go play Magic Carpet 1001.
And maybe many other games I just forgot. :somari:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 11:20:38 AM by Crash Nicker »

D-Pad Doc

• Formerly Neomysterion Prime
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
Favorite/Worst NES games
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:47:42 PM »
Favourite NES Games (in release order):

Mendel Palace- It's a pretty good arcade-action tile-flippin' game done by Pokemon creator Satoshi Tajiri. I've beaten this one 5 times if I'm correct.

Super Spy Hunter- One of the more harder to beat shoot 'em up games for the NES, and I thought Sunsoft did a pretty good job on this title. I've beaten this 8 or 10 times if I'm not mistaken.

Bomberman 2- If you ask me, I find this variant of Bomberman more user-friendly than the original.

Fire 'N Ice- Also known as Solomon's Key 2. I'm a big fan of logic puzzles, and this one's no exception. Another hard to find NES title I happen to own.

Bubble Bobble Part 2- Possibly my most expensive NES purchase as of late. If you liked the old Bubble Bobble, give the enhanced sequel a play.

Wario's Woods- I like this one better than the SNES version. I always tend to play Round Game Mode B in the NES version, due to boss battles.

Worst:
I don't like to say it, but I never really spited too many games (including Deadly Towers).  :P
I did find Ring King rather cheesy and hard in my opinion.

^ Link to my game collection (may be slightly out of date).

bawkers

• Such is a samurai skill
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite/Worst NES games
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 12:14:08 PM »
Favorites:
-Ninja Kun - Majou no Bouken (This game seems to be one some people dislike, but this was in the early FC era so it's fine, it's mostly a good recreation of the arcade original by UPL except the music just plays a single channel worth of music which is super high pitched but overall decent)
-Onyanko Town (Another early FC title, it is a maze chase game where you play as a catgirl who is trying to find a lost kitten while watching out for dogs, you also have an "invisible time limit" which wait too long and the butcher chases after you! Also has high pitched music but is more unique, I like this and Lock N' Chase [not on NES] more than Pac-Man)
-Route-16 (Another maze chase, this one you ride around several mazes within a giant zone, reminds me of the 1982 movie Tron (I played the Moto version which seems to be a hack that includes Windows file icons). It gets a bit difficult but mostly okay
-Rockin' Kats (This is a platformer starring Willy the cat! This is developed by Atlus (I am a big fan of their games), who mainly make JRPGs but this platformer game has some adorable art, it's pretty easy too, you got an extendable arm in a similar fashion to Ristar on SEGA, and the music is beautiful, but you can use the minigames to cheese the game so uh... maybe try Amazing Tater on GameBoy or something if you want something hard?
Dislikes:
I don't really hate many games but uh...
-Lode Runner (As much as I would love to enjoy this game, it's just super difficult, like it feels like a game that would need quite a while to practice, so I usually just play quick sessions of the first level or so, my complaint is that if you dig sometimes, you can get stuck, but eh, nice concept regardless)
-Adventure Island II (I thought i'd enjoy this game but when you actually try playing, it ends up being a looong journey. The dinosaurs I love but they eat up your energy fast so you don't want to use them, bosses are just the same "fight at this pattern, oh wait now they are a different animal now", like it feels like it was a whole copy and paste job  :(, I apologize if you are reading this and like this game but it's not motivational enough, idk how anyone can beat this in one go without getting a game over
I decided to not put any RPGs on this list as I felt that kinda would be cheating
Ever since 2003, I have been seeing people come and go, but do they ever return?