Author Topic: Searching for some fonts found in pirates  (Read 2177 times)

Ray of Lightning

• View Profile
Searching for some fonts found in pirates
« on: September 09, 2012, 06:53:32 AM »
Well, as the topic title suggests, I'm looking for a couple of fonts found in a couple of Yong Yong and Ei-How Yang titles, to name but a few places where I've seen these pop up (I've even seen some in legit games).

I've grown rather fond of the fonts used for Green Hill and Zone (the number 1 is pretty snazzy too though I suspect it's the same font) and would LOVE to be able to use them myself for...well...pretty much anything.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has a certain fondness for these fonts so if anyone can help out that'd be awesome. :D

Thanks.  ^_^

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 11:33:34 AM »
First things first: all the fonts on that screen are from Deluxe Paint II for MS-DOS. (Which, incidentally, for those not old enough to remember, was developed by EA. Yes, that EA. No surprise that these fonts showed up in a lot of their games back then...)

Now, the conversions!

The font for Zone... I actually converted that one a while back. Check out DPComic on my fonts page.

As for "Green Hill", that one was also used in some old Sierra adventure games, and someone converted it from there. Behold the Royal Font of Krondor!

Edited to add: As an aside, "ACT" is in the default interface font from DeluxePaint. Which I also converted to TrueType, as "DeluxeFont".
As an aside... I seriously ought to consider setting up a page for Deluxe Paint on the Wiki, because those fonts are as common in bootleg games as PC Paint's. I've even seen them used in some of the Gamtec group's work-- I guess they had both paint programs in their dev kit?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:44:04 AM by codeman38 »

Ray of Lightning

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 12:04:09 PM »
Oh thank you, thank you thank you thank you! You've made me a very happy man. :D

But yes, I'd put up the page, they really are quite common fonts as we both know and, well, if PCPaint is up there, Deluxe Paint II should be too, even if it was made by that maniacal mainstream monstrosity that is known as EA.  /:)

As for the dev kits, it seems likely enough. If it were me, I'd grab fonts from the easiest possible source. What better place then from some graphics programs? Saves plenty of time, I can tell ya.