Author Topic: The Dragon / Chu Da D music reuse  (Read 7494 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Dragon / Chu Da D music reuse
« on: September 19, 2010, 06:53:17 PM »
I just discovered, thanks to a music rip by Gil Galad (see the 03/15/2010 collection on his news page), that the Big 2 card game "Chu Da D" uses music that's also found in Rinco's "The Dragon". Which, in turn, very clearly uses a sound driver from Sachen. Both games are copyrighted 1995.

Interestingly, Chu Da D is by neither Sachen nor Rinco. Rather, it's by a company (companies?) I haven't seen credited anywhere else, "Fortune Power - Jichang". The screen with their logos says... something I can't read, because it's in Chinese, but it involves the characters for both China and Taipei. I guess one's a Chinese distributor and one's a Taiwanese distributor?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 06:53:58 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 07:15:49 PM »
So if this game clearly uses Sachen's sound engine as well as music from The Dragon, then wouldn't Rinco be an alias for them? And if it is then what the hell is the Rinco logo doing in that Super Cool Boy 4-in-1 that Abab Soft published?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 07:49:38 PM »
i don't think Rinco is an alias for anything, theyre just some publisher. but yeah I have no idea why their logo is in the Super Cool Boy cart.. thats completely mysterious to me. unless they decided to get back into the game business after about 10 years, for some reason, and it never happened.

edit: btw i translated the Chinese in Chu Da D a while back, iirc it said Fortune Power is the manufacturer and Jichang is the distributor in China.

fortune power is still around though
http://www.fortunepower.com.tw/

edit2: but yes. i think some people left Sachen and developed these two games, plus a bunch of the Taiwan Shin-Shin stuff. Something like that anyway.

posted some stuff about that here, anyway: http://s4.zetaboards.com/PGC_Forums?topic=7976972/1/#new
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 07:58:01 PM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 09:47:45 PM »
Ooh, I just realized something. One of Sachen's musicians was named Amadeus Wang. Probably the same person as Wang Yueli in Bao Qing Tian's credits.

Edit: To make it even more plausible, the "yue" in Wang Yueli means "music". And it'd make sense that a music programmer with "music" in their actual name might choose Amadeus as an English name!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:06:49 PM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 10:15:10 PM »
Ahh, that'd make a lot of sense. I always wondered if "L.C. Tchacvosky" was shooting for the same kinda thing too, but he just didn't quite get the spelling right.

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 04:03:08 AM »
Also do not forget that there are 90% of chance that The dragon was developped by EHY. So Chu Da D could have been programmed by him too.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 12:49:41 PM »
One thing that I find odd is that Bao Qing Tian was published by NT as "Justice Pao" (gotta love their crazy cartridge arts :P ) so would that mean that some members of Sachen were connected with NT at one point? Also, if Tchackvosky is meant to be named after Tchaickovsky then would that mean he did the programming and music for the games he's credited in?

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 01:28:16 PM »
Cheetahmen
Sep 20 2010, 12:49:41 PM
One thing that I find odd is that Bao Qing Tian was published by NT as "Justice Pao" (gotta love their crazy cartridge arts :P ) so would that mean that some members of Sachen were connected with NT at one point? Also, if Tchackvosky is meant to be named after Tchaickovsky then would that mean he did the programming and music for the games he's credited in?[/quote]Oh, Bao Qing Tian is definitely an official NT release. Their logo is on the title screen. :lol:

But yeah, there definitely seems to be some sort of weird Sachen-NT connection, between this and the fact that Ei-How Yang, formerly of Sachen, is explicitly credited on some games made by NT.

And I'd always assumed that Tchacvosky was both a music and game programmer, but maybe I'm totally off track.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 01:58:51 PM »
MLX
Sep 20 2010, 04:03:08 AM
Also do not forget that there are 90% of chance that The dragon was developped by EHY. So Chu Da D could have been programmed by him too.[/quote]i dunno, i don't think Yang programmed either of those games - IMO there were probably two or more programmers working with the same development team, Yang was one of them, maybe the other was Wu Zhenhong (see Bao Qing Tian). you can really tell the difference in physics between, say, Super Donkey Kong (by Yang) and Panda Prince or Super Donkey Kong 2 (by someone else) even though there are similarities in things like sounds/graphics/fonts etc.

codeman38

And I'd always assumed that Tchacvosky was both a music and game programmer, but maybe I'm totally off track.[/quote]
yeah, he seems to have been both a programmer and a musician - Mahjong Academy has credits on the title screen and hes credited for design and music, the only other person listed is Shyh-Dwo Maa for "Artist". Tchacvosky seems to have been involved with most of the SA series, and Amadeus Wang and the rest are mostly credited on the TC series, so I guess Sachen had two mostly separate development teams at that point.. and it was the TC side (plus Yang, who was mostly a gameboy programmer) that ended up developing all this other shit, probably after leaving Sachen.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 11:42:39 PM »
just noticed this in Toy Story. "U.L. Wang" is credited for "music design", which I guess is Wang Yueli/Amadeus Wang (probably) so the end credits must be at least partially real. but theres no mention of Ei-How Yang himself, or even anyone with the surname Yang, even though he's credited at the start. which is kinda weird. theres also no one matching "W.C.W.", but i suppose that could be the Chinese name of Tom Wang or something.

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 03:13:32 AM »
Mickey and DKL2 physics are also similar not only the sound/font/sounds, the way they jump are similar, the scrolling has the same glitches.
But if we say that Yang didn't programmed the Mickey v2 engine, then what did he done except Toy Story in 1997 ?
And about Panda Prince, the engine is sure is different but that doesn't mean it wasn't programmed by EHY. Remember that Hummer Team used different engines for each of their platformers (except Aladdin/Somari).

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 05:45:58 AM »
Looking at a couple of their endings, Little Fat Yang is credited for artistic design in Mickey Mania 7 while L. Fat Wang is credited for the same in Toy Story. I they're the same person. Between those games, there's Sammy Lee and Mindy Lee credited for program design, (I'm guessing one of those names are made up) there's David Chen and L.S. Chen for the same thing, the music designer seems to be different in both games (U.O. Lee in MM7, U.L. Wang in TS) and while Lee Dan Fai was a programmer in MM7, he was the director of TS.
BTW, can anyone translate the credits in Bao Qing Tian? I suspect that's by EHY as well.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 08:49:44 AM »
Cheetahmen
Oct 29 2010, 05:45:58 AM
BTW, can anyone translate the credits in Bao Qing Tian? I suspect that's by EHY as well.[/quote]taizou did that here. The only Yang listed in the credits is Yang Wenguang.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 09:33:49 AM »
I don't know much about Chinese names but looking at that list, I'm guessing that Copyright Yang from Mickey Mania 7 is probably Yang Wenguang, L. Fat Wang (LOL at the name) from Toy Story is Wang Nianzhen and U.L. Wang is probably Wang Yueli.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 11:50:28 AM »
MLX
Oct 29 2010, 03:13:32 AM
Mickey and DKL2 physics are also similar not only the sound/font/sounds, the way they jump are similar, the scrolling has the same glitches.
But if we say that Yang didn't programmed the Mickey v2 engine, then what did he done except Toy Story in 1997 ?
And about Panda Prince, the engine is sure is different but that doesn't mean it wasn't programmed by EHY. Remember that Hummer Team used different engines for each of their platformers (except Aladdin/Somari).[/quote]in Panda Prince & SDK2 jumping and general movement is much smoother than in Mickey Mania & SDK1 though. in Mickey & SDK1 its quite slow, and if you hold the jump button down the character keeps jumping, which is quite unusual. same in Toy Story. but Panda Prince is 1996 and Toy Story is 1997, so if both games were by EHY that'd mean he improved the physics for Panda but went back to his old shitty version for Toy Story the next year. which wouldnt make much sense. plus that'd mean he programmed at least two separate Donkey Kong engines.

Cheetahmen

the music designer seems to be different in both games (U.O. Lee in MM7, U.L. Wang in TS) and while Lee Dan Fai was a programmer in MM7, he was the director of TS.[/quote]
could be the same musician..  maybe Yueli = Uo Lee. its not too much of a stretch to get from Yue to Uo I think.
& Lee Dan Fai was the president of Taiwan. :D its an alternate romanisation of Lee Teng-hui apparently.

Cheetahmen

I'm guessing that Copyright Yang from Mickey Mania 7 is probably Yang Wenguang[/quote]
could be Ei-How Yang too I suppose.

& if L.Fat Wang is the same person as Little Fat Yang, that'd make him Little Fat Wang. best name ever.