Author Topic: How about BGW in Russian?  (Read 5874 times)

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
How about BGW in Russian?
« on: July 04, 2012, 06:09:17 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's gonna be one of those projects that may be abandonded by me after a while or two, but here's the catch. Many retrogamers from Russia and nearby countries still don't know, let's say, what is Hummer Team, they don't know that Hummer is still active, they don't know that Harry's Legend is actually a hacked Titenic, and yet most of them don't know the actual developers of certain games, generically dubbing those as "fucking Chinese pirates".

So, why can't BootlegGames Wiki have a Russian spin-off?

And I do mean HERE.

Just for starters, I've copied mine and Taizou's layout to it and made a stubby translation of an article about Somari. Without pictures, sure thing.

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 08:36:22 AM »
Oh, that's wonderful, I really don't hope you abandon this! I've always wanted to see the wiki having multilingual support. I could probably request an interlanguage language link with the Russian one so it's possible to switch over to that from the normal wiki (and vice versa). I suggest you should find someone that's willing to translate to help you out.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:30:07 AM »
Conbon
Jul 4 2012, 08:36:22 AM
Oh, that's wonderful, I really don't hope you abandon this! I've always wanted to see the wiki having multilingual support. I could probably request an interlanguage language link with the Russian one so it's possible to switch over to that from the normal wiki (and vice versa). I suggest you should find someone that's willing to translate to help you out.

[/quote]I'll be honest, I dunno who is gonna help really, although if the Russian BGW is more or less advertised, then it's quite possible we might get volunteers that will give some translation aid.

And yes, yes, the language selection tab would be awesome.

Aleximus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 05:04:26 PM »
Very nice! I'm glad to see this russian version and can help.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 02:33:44 AM »
Aleximus
Jul 5 2012, 05:04:26 PM
Very nice! I'm glad to see this russian version and can help.[/quote]Do it then!  :whistle:

Naturally, you would simply translate the articles from English to Russian, which is not such a complicated task per se.

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 04:01:50 AM »
This is great, especially since I'm learning Russian now. No better way to learn than through talk of pirates. Good thing all the new pirates seem to be in Russian now too :P

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 03:08:59 AM »
Barver
Jul 6 2012, 04:01:50 AM
This is great, especially since I'm learning Russian now. No better way to learn than through talk of pirates. Good thing all the new pirates seem to be in Russian now too :P[/quote]I advise you not to use those pirates on your way to learn Russian, though: they all have really screwed-up punctuation.  :pandaaway:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:09:57 AM by Crash Nicker »

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 06:07:43 PM »
You mean they spell stuff wrong? I know that the Russian translation of Barver Battle is apparently a shitty online translator job or something so I'm avoiding that. You mean all that stuff from Kudos?

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 04:11:26 PM »
Barver
Jul 7 2012, 06:07:43 PM
You mean they spell stuff wrong? I know that the Russian translation of Barver Battle is apparently a shitty online translator job or something so I'm avoiding that. You mean all that stuff from Kudos?[/quote]Well, some of the stuff that went through Glory Sun (including Barver, Commandos, Death Caliber and Uncharted Waters as Pirates of the Carribean) went through them since not even the grammar is correct to Russian. I dunno whether that was the machine translation all over, though, but I can pretty much presume the tool they've used doesn't even know how to spell Russian words correctly...

As for the stuff that was developed especially for KDS, you can meet misplaced commas (fairly common), sentences abrupting right at the end of the paragraph and continuing on the next one (also common), misspelled words (less common, but happens) and slightly screwed-up sentence structure (kinda rare). So I'd rather recommend either more known and correct (language-wise) translations of licensed games like Dune: The Battle for Arrakis or read the classics of the Russian literature. :pandahappy:  Only then you can go through those hacks' boring "storylines".

MefistaCenobica

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 10:25:56 PM »
Sorry for necroposting,just wanted to note that I can help with it in my free time...
Жалко,все наши картриджи отдали соседям...

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 03:50:50 PM »
MefistaCenobica
Aug 13 2012, 10:25:56 PM
Sorry for necroposting,just wanted to note that I can help with it in my free time...[/quote]Necroposting, huh? This thread is still important, actually!  :pandaaway:

MefistaCenobica

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 05:22:10 PM »
Really?)Sweet)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:11:30 PM by MefistaCenobica »

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 05:59:14 PM »
MefistaCenobica
Aug 14 2012, 05:22:10 PM
Правда?)Здорово)
[/quote]This is an English-only forum, you know.

MefistaCenobica

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 06:11:03 PM »
Sorry.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 08:16:52 AM »
well personally I don't mind if you post in Russian in this thread, considering it's specifically about creating a wiki in Russian and all.