Author Topic: Any way I can make Somari warp?  (Read 6353 times)

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
Any way I can make Somari warp?
« on: June 15, 2012, 05:15:17 AM »
Okay, let's say I want to make a hack of Somari, Sonic the Hedgehog, start not from the Spring Yard Zone but from Green Hill. Is there any way to patch/correct the ROM so it would begin there?

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 03:10:34 PM »
It's possible, but you need to know about advanced hexhacking in order to do that.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 03:04:38 AM »
I only hope that the new title screen, the character's palette and the new starting level are the only things that have been changed compared to Somari...

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 07:29:47 AM »
From what I've played of the Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic 3D Blast 5 version, they seem to be the exact same otherwise.  I can't picture a company, especially a bootleg one, making any engine revisions or whatever unless they're porting to a different system like the Samuri.  It would be needless extra work for them.

Linkrulezall

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 08:55:04 PM »
Maybe this seems obvious, but you could probably take the Somari ROM and replace the tiles for Somari himself and the title screen. (I wonder if the brain toniq I drank before posting this actually worked?)

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 04:48:15 AM »
Linkrulezall
Jun 19 2012, 08:55:04 PM
Maybe this seems obvious, but you could probably take the Somari ROM and replace the tiles for Somari himself and the title screen. (I wonder if the brain toniq I drank before posting this actually worked?)[/quote]Replacing sprites is one thing, but what about actually making Sonic look like, erhm, himself, not that bunch of cheap recolors seen on dA?

Yeah, that's right: if you haven't noticed, in Somari, all enemies are red because Mario is red. And in its' hack, all enemies are blue because Sonic is blue. Ditto for Hummer, where he is... Okay, that's self-explanatory from here on.

Gonna compare those two ROMs (original Somari and its' hack) in a while.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 08:15:45 AM »
Crash Nicker
Jun 20 2012, 04:48:15 AM
Replacing sprites is one thing, but what about actually making Sonic look like, erhm, himself, not that bunch of cheap recolors seen on dA?

Yeah, that's right: if you haven't noticed, in Somari, all enemies are red because Mario is red. And in its' hack, all enemies are blue because Sonic is blue. Ditto for Hummer, where he is... Okay, that's self-explanatory from here on.

Gonna compare those two ROMs (original Somari and its' hack) in a while.[/quote]If you're trying to keep Sonic and the enemies' palettes correct, it'll probably be tricky considering the technical limitations.  Off the top of my head, if you're up for some graphic hacking, you could give the Sonic sprites two seperate palettes/sprites, a la Megaman.  Have the enemies set to the one palette (like, say, Sonic's shoes) then have a second palette for Sonic's body.  If Sonic's sprites don't look good like this, then you'll probably have to redraw them.

On another note, if it's possible, you could re-route what palette set a particular graphic uses, so with the aformentioned setup, you could have the Buzz Bombers use the body palette for Sonic and the Crabmeats use the shoe palette, or even use coloring from the scenery if it's appropriate.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:22:00 AM by Pepper-98 »

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 03:24:41 AM »
Qiezei
Jun 20 2012, 08:15:45 AM
If you're trying to keep Sonic and the enemies' palettes correct, it'll probably be tricky considering the technical limitations.  Off the top of my head, if you're up for some graphic hacking, you could give the Sonic sprites two seperate palettes/sprites, a la Megaman.  Have the enemies set to the one palette (like, say, Sonic's shoes) then have a second palette for Sonic's body.  If Sonic's sprites don't look good like this, then you'll probably have to redraw them.

On another note, if it's possible, you could re-route what palette set a particular graphic uses, so with the aformentioned setup, you could have the Buzz Bombers use the body palette for Sonic and the Crabmeats use the shoe palette, or even use coloring from the scenery if it's appropriate.[/quote]Actually, I am up to a no special or overcomplicated task: I just originally wanted to change a couple of bytes in Sonic the Hedgehog's ROM in order to make it start from Green Hill Zone. Or wait, I've changed my mind, I may actually do that on Hummer since that hack is actually little-known (I don't like Sonic nowadays anyway :P ). If Samuri 60-in-1 would be dumped once in a blue moon, then there might actually be a nice chance of that I may incorporate graphics from that gamepad's version of Somari.

Although in the above case, it would be a good (and a whole bunch easier for such an unexperienced romhacker like me) idea to actually swap the palettes between Sonic's body and shoes so at least the enemies wouldn't look so friggin' dark.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 07:58:50 AM »
I think you can set different palettes to certain tiles in a sprite.  If not, then you would make them seperate sprites like the portraits in several Vast Fame titles do.  I believe the former is possible from what Mario's sprite looks like in Hummer's Super Mario World, though I *may* be mistaken...It's definitely doable with background/scenery tiles, I know that for sure.

...Wait a minute, didn't someone already hack the game to start at Green Hill Zone?  I know I've seen it at Cah4e3's page or somewhere...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:06:13 AM by Pepper-98 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 08:17:04 AM »
Qiezei
Jun 21 2012, 07:58:50 AM
I think you can set different palettes to certain tiles in a sprite.  If not, then you would make them seperate sprites like the portraits in several Vast Fame titles do.  I believe the former is possible from what Mario's sprite looks like in Hummer's Super Mario World, though I *may* be mistaken...It's definitely doable with background/scenery tiles, I know that for sure.[/quote]Megaman does the same thing, so it's definitely possible to do with sprites. ;)

Quote:

...Wait a minute, didn't someone already hack the game to start at Green Hill Zone?  I know I've seen it at Cah4e3's page or somewhere...[/quote]Yeah, they did. In any case, I'd be interested to see what'd happen if you hack it to start on a level that's not actually in the game. (Like World 9 of Super Mario or something)

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 08:29:18 AM »
Awesome Panda
Jun 21 2012, 08:17:04 AM
Yeah, they did. In any case, I'd be interested to see what'd happen if you hack it to start on a level that's not actually in the game. (Like World 9 of Super Mario or something)[/quote]Whoah, wait, what cart that is?

And yeah, Scrap Brain Zone. Which is unfortunately glitched to an unplayable state.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 08:52:35 AM »
Crash Nicker
Jun 21 2012, 08:29:18 AM
Awesome Panda
Jun 21 2012, 08:17:04 AM
Yeah, they did. In any case, I'd be interested to see what'd happen if you hack it to start on a level that's not actually in the game. (Like World 9 of Super Mario or something)[/quote]Whoah, wait, what cart that is?[/quote]I think some of the Unchained Melody carts had it. ;)

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 09:14:53 AM »
Awesome Panda
Jun 21 2012, 08:52:35 AM
I think some of the Unchained Melody carts had it. ;)[/quote]Oh, that you mean? Right, I thought that there already is a hack of Sonic that starts from the first zone. XD

Well, as far as I assume, the menu activities used some kind of memory hack, like on Game Genie which naturally allows everyone to use moon gravity, level warps and shit like that. Although until I don't figure out how to make such multicarts at least for OneBus hardware and at least on C, that's gonna be one hell of a free space wastage.
Alright, never mind, there is an utility than can hardcore Game Genie codes in.

I can make a warpy multicart!  :pandaaway:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:56:15 AM by Crash Nicker »

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 11:08:14 AM »

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 02:08:26 PM »
RobGBA
Jun 21 2012, 11:08:14 AM
Um, the level thing : http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/384/[/quote]Talking about, it appears that Sonic the Hedgehog Game Genie codes perfectly work with The Hummer as well.