Author Topic: A few GB Multicarts...  (Read 5828 times)

ClassicGamer

• View Profile
A few GB Multicarts...
« on: May 05, 2012, 09:13:09 AM »
A while ago, I found an ad on Kijiji for a "Gameboy light and 290 games" for $50. It turned out to be a rare system, 2 multicarts, and Tetris. Other than Action 52 these are the first multicarts I've ever seen. I need some information: where they might be from, who made them, and what are they worth?

The first one is called "Sports 228 in 1." The cartridge is very light and cheaply made. It also looks newer than the other two. The label says "New version for all" and has pictures of many games, including Side Pocket, NBA Jam, WWE Superstars, FIFA Soccer, and "Olympics."
Here's a list of the indvidual games on it:
1. FIFA 98
2. NBA Jam
3. Golf
4. F1 Race
5. Olympic Winter (Lillehammer 1994) by US Gold
6. Track Field
7. WWF Superstar
8. Football
9. Ice Hockey
10. Boxing
11. J.C. Tennis (Jimmy Connors)
12. Baseball
13. Side Pocket
14. Seaside Volley (by Tonkin House... never heard of this company, is it a licensed game?)
15. World Bowling
16. Motocross (Motocross Maniacs)

I'll post the other two later... Until then, can anyone tell me about this multicart?

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
A few GB Multicarts...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 09:44:10 AM »
By my understanding, I don't think Game Boy multicarts would usually be worth more than $10; (unless they have all of the Pokémon games on them or something) that particular one certainly isn't worth much considering that all of the games on it are sports games.

Also, Tonkin House are a legit company; they did a couple of sports games for the Famicom. ;)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
A few GB Multicarts...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
could you post some pics? it's hard to say too much about its origins without seeing it.

but, yeah, that one won't be worth much - Game Boy stuff in general doesn't tend to sell as well as Famicom/NES, and it doesn't have a particularly high game count or anything too interesting on it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:33:12 PM by taizou »

ClassicGamer

• View Profile
A few GB Multicarts...
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 03:03:54 PM »
Here's a pic of the three multicarts together.

Attachments:

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A few GB Multicarts...
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 03:13:03 PM »
Well the one on the left is interesting - it looks like it might be by NT (Ka Sheng) who were a pretty big producer of pirate Famicom carts in the mid-late 90s/early 2000s. Never seen a Game Boy cart by them before. I'm not sure about the origins of the other two though.

ClassicGamer

• View Profile
A few GB Multicarts...
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 03:16:08 PM »
Continuing with the multicarts, here's "Full Color 23 in 1." There's a text bubble that says "48M" and what might be a product number, "PS-018."
The label has pictures of Tetris DX, Nemesis, Battle City and other game boxes, all edited to say "Game Color" instead of "Game Boy Color."
Here are the games:
1. Nemesis
2. Kunio (Nekketsu Koha Kunio-Kun, AKA Hot Blood Tough Guy Kunio)
3. Raijinou (Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh, a robot fighting game. The game is impossible as the opponent does not lose health.)
4. Battle City
5. Motocross Maniacs
6. Tennis
7. Pipe Dream
8. Tetris
9. Alley Way

7 Common games and 2 Japan-only oddities. This is an odd multicart, and the games are addicting. The games are repeated three times and their titles on the menu are different each time. This may help with the origin - Kunio-Kun is also titled "Hero Fighter" and "Hotblood Hero" on the menu, indicating that the cart is from Asia.
Up next is my last multicart, and it's a good one! Scroll down...

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A few GB Multicarts...
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 03:30:31 PM »
Oh, yeah, they're all definitely from Asia, either China or Taiwan for sure. The Kunio games are commonly titled "Hero"-whatever on Famicom multis too.
ClassicGamer
May 5 2012, 03:16:08 PM
3. Raijinou (Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh, a robot fighting game. The game is impossible as the opponent does not lose health.)[/quote]Also, I'm not sure if that's a multicart issue, I've played that game before and it's really hard.
edit: Also, this, from here:
Quote:

You have an attack and jump button, but if you only rely on the standard punch you start with you’re asking to be mauled. You can punch your opponent all day and you’ll never get it below 3 or 4 life bars. The secret lies with the Select button, which will bring you to a menu with three options: Weapon, Body, and Combine. [/quote]
It's still hard whatever you do, though.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:36:06 PM by taizou »

ClassicGamer

• View Profile
A few GB Multicarts...
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 08:56:13 AM »
I've played the game on emulators, and it seems to be the same way. I wish there was an english translation so I could see what the attacks and characters were called.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A few GB Multicarts...
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 09:26:41 AM »

ClassicGamer

• View Profile
A few GB Multicarts...
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 09:42:15 PM »
I found an interesting glitch in Sports 228 in 1 the other day. I started up the game, and instead of showing the typical "228 in 1" menu, it showed a different menu saying "16 in 1" and only displaying 16 games! 16 is the actual number of games on the cart. Maybe the multicart's creator was planning to state the actual number of games, but decided 16 was not enough?

I'm not sure what buttons I pressed to make it do this, but I couldn't get it to happen again. Is this common with multicarts, or a one of a kind error?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A few GB Multicarts...
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 11:04:04 PM »
Yeah it can happen. a lot of multicarts contain several variations (usually just of the number of repeats) which are all stored in the same ROM chip to save money, so the manufacturers can sell the same PCB with multiple different labels as several "different" carts. usually they would cut a trace on the board to determine which version is loaded, but sometimes alternate versions can appear in normal use through glitches and whatnot.
BTW, are you going to post any info on the third multicart? i've been wondering about that one. :D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:04:53 PM by taizou »

ClassicGamer

• View Profile
A few GB Multicarts...
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 06:43:42 AM »
I'm planning to, but I lost it. I'll update this thread when I find it, which should be soon.

ClassicGamer

• View Profile
A few GB Multicarts...
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 01:09:39 PM »
EDIT: I found it! I left it in my Super Game Boy. Here's the full list:
1.Zelda (Not sure which one, the title screen has an island with a big egg on it)(Japanese)
2. Doraemon 4 (Japanese)
3. Bomber Man GB 3
4. Super Mario Land
5. Alley Way
6. Tetris 2 (Not really, just Tetris)
7. Dr. Mario
8. Bowling (World Bowling)
9. Tennis
10. Soukoban 2 (Japanese)
11. Mickey Mouse (Actually Q-Billion!)
12. Battle City
13. Motocross Maniacs
14. Space Invaders
15. Shisensyo (Says Match-Mania on title screen) (Japanese)
16. Snake (I have no idea what to do in this game!) (Japanese)
17. Pipe Dream
18. Minesweeper (The one by Arc Co. and Pack-In Video)

Unlike my other 2 multicarts, this one adds 3-letter words to the game's titles on the menu instead of actually changing the names (Except for Q-Billion.) This creates titles like Zelda Act, Mario Land Win, Tennis Mir, Dr. Mario Max, Tetris 2 Pin, Mickey Mouse God, and Snake Ion.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 01:59:48 PM by ClassicGamer »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A few GB Multicarts...
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »
thanks! The Zelda game is Link's Awakening btw.

ClassicGamer

• View Profile
A few GB Multicarts...
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 06:57:34 PM »
Do you know who could have made the carts? Also, is Doraemon 4 an official game?