Author Topic: GBA Digimon RPG from Vast Fame  (Read 11302 times)

Barver

• View Profile
GBA Digimon RPG from Vast Fame
« on: September 08, 2010, 12:53:46 AM »

Got this today, straight from SkyLeague themselves. Unfortunately no box, I thought it'd have one  /:)

I expected it to be that platformer that was ported to SNES, but it's actually an RPG. Graphics definitely feel familiar and stolen, but who knows. The title plays WAV quality music, probably ripped from the shows intro or something. Copyright is "2003 DIGIMON". The intro has still pictures with scrolling text exactly like V.Fames Lord of the Rings game on GBA, possibly built off the same engines.

I took some shitty shots again with my cell phone, I didn't play for too long since I don't have time immediately.

Yet another game I swear I'll try to dump eventually, but all my funds are being saved up for something else at the moment. It's worth mentioning that along with the game SkyLeague included their own playcards. It shows info of a random pirate, and each card has an attack and defense points. Like Pokemon cards, but your fighting pirates instead haha. Odd idea =p

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:44:59 AM »
Graphics look pretty good, to be honest!

Is the music outside of the title screen VFame's typical GBC stuff?

Also, I wonder whether this is the game that the poster on 17173.com was saying was a VFame/Sintax co-production. Hard to tell, really, given the existence of that Digimon platformer...

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:04:36 PM »
Was away for a bit, kinda late response.. :)

I gotta play it again, but from what I remember the music is pretty much standard GBC stuff yeah. But it has PCM sounding percussion playing, which also keeps cutting off if you go into a menu and then

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 06:27:42 PM »
Barver
Sep 15 2010, 08:04:36 PM
Was away for a bit, kinda late response.. :)

I gotta play it again, but from what I remember the music is pretty much standard GBC stuff yeah. But it has PCM sounding percussion playing, which also keeps cutting off if you go into a menu and then [/quote]Oh, hm. Interesting. The mysterious Crash Bandicoot pirate original is the same: PSG for all the melody, with PCM for percussion. So perhaps it is Vast Fame's work...

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 08:00:06 PM »
I wonder if that same music is in the Digimon platform game - it might have been the case that Vast Fame only collaborated with Sintax to port the SNES Digimon game to the GBA, with the music being 100% Vast Fame (because Sintax obviously didn't have the capacity to make their own music, if their GBC efforts are anything to go by). then maybe they parted ways after that, and Sintax just recycled the engine and music for Crash Bandicoot.

hell the Pokemon title screen on Sky League's version of the Digimon platformer could even be Sintax getting up to their old tricks - maybe they released the Digimon version first, and the Pokemon version as a "new" "Pokemon" game later.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 01:51:41 PM »
Well i got Digimon "Rury" today, and.. its the same game! In Engrish.
ill take some screenshots & video soonish, and try to dump it (though i suspect that won't work, as usual).

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 02:00:45 PM »
Is there anything of interest in the text?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 03:14:39 PM »
well i've only played it for about two minutes so far. the battery seems to be dead. ):
edit: and its soldered in. grr.
theres lots of dialogue like "What select inside of child I regardless!!". but at least they figured out line breaks.

a lot of the music does seem to be recycled from other V.Fame games though, with added PCM percussion.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 04:14:47 PM by taizou »

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 12:12:18 AM »
Nice. Did you get it from that eBay seller?

I recently sold my copy to Nusutto actually, I didn't realize before he told me that the town music is the same as in Shi Kong Xing Shou. I guess Vast Fame don't only reuse engines, but music too.

Edit: Hah, that's funny, didn't notice you said the battery's dead. Just like my copy. I guess it's a common thing with all of them? Does the cart have no screw in the back like the Chinese one also? I guessed it was probably going to be soldered in, but never could check since it seemed like there's no way to open it unless I break the molding.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:14:30 AM by Barver »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 12:24:58 AM »
Barver
Oct 24 2010, 12:12:18 AM
I recently sold my copy to Nusutto actually, I didn't realize before he told me that the town music is the same as in Shi Kong Xing Shou. I guess Vast Fame don't only reuse engines, but music too.[/quote]Heh, they were even doing that on GBC! They reused one of the tunes from Queen of Fighters as the battle theme in Shui Hu Shen Shou.
Also, I can't wait to see the video of this. The music and the Engrish interest me. :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:27:53 AM by codeman38 »

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 12:29:12 AM »
Speaking of video, I've still been waiting for something of Devil Land from that 12-in-1 ;) And let us know how dumping goes!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:29:41 AM by Barver »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 07:04:48 AM »
Barver
Oct 24 2010, 12:12:18 AM
Nice. Did you get it from that eBay seller?[/quote]different seller.. this one wasnt boxed unfortunately ):
Barver

Does the cart have no screw in the back like the Chinese one also? I guessed it was probably going to be soldered in, but never could check since it seemed like there's no way to open it unless I break the molding. [/quote]
nah, it has a nintendo-style tri-wing screw - i guess they were going for some degree of "authenticity" with this one. speaking of which, the fake seal of quality is the same as the one on all those New Game Color Advance games.
Barver

Speaking of video, I've still been waiting for something of Devil Land from that 12-in-1 And let us know how dumping goes![/quote]
ah yeah, Devil Land is still coming (incidentally the intro music from that game is reused in Digimon). i probably won't get anything done today or tomorrow though, im pretty busy.

& i tried to dump it last night using my DS, no luck there. ill try it with a proper dumper later, just in case..

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 12:11:56 PM »
Heh, in the meantime, I found this thread from a Digimon forum about Rury, with the complete text of the game's intro. (Is the poster of that anyone here, or did someone else manage to get a Digimon Rury cartridge with a broken battery?)

That's definitely the same quality of Engrish as in Pokemon Ruby. Though I'm amazed they spelled "Ruby" correctly there. :lol:

Edit: Also, the Digimon Rury box art (shown in that post above) is directly stolen from Digimon Battle Spirit-- they even tried to knock off the font used for "Battle Spirit", albeit not very well. Incidentally, Battle Spirit is one of those rare legit GBA games that uses GBC-style music.

Edit #2: Oh yeah, and the Digimon Sapphire box art is stolen from the Japanese release of Digimon World 3. Gotta love bootlegs.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:23:44 PM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 01:49:45 PM »
codeman38
Oct 24 2010, 12:11:56 PM
(Is the poster of that anyone here, or did someone else manage to get a Digimon Rury cartridge with a broken battery?)[/quote]I think bootleg GB game manufacturers just have some secret source for the worst batteries ever. I don't have a single one with its original battery that actually still holds a save. but I can replace them with the cheapest batteries I can actually find for sale anywhere and they last forever.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 04:32:01 PM »
taizou
Oct 24 2010, 01:49:45 PM
I think bootleg GB game manufacturers just have some secret source for the worst batteries ever. I don't have a single one with its original battery that actually still holds a save. but I can replace them with the cheapest batteries I can actually find for sale anywhere and they last forever.[/quote]Probably the same source as those knockoff AA batteries that are sold at flea markets, heh. Those things do not last long at all.