Author Topic: Video Games With Renditions of Songs From Other Things  (Read 4085 times)

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Video Games With Renditions of Songs From Other Things
« on: April 17, 2012, 07:58:56 PM »
Out of boredom, I decided to compile a small list (very incomplete, but I'm sure other people can think of the stuff I missed) of games that fall into the topic name. :P

The list:
A Journey to the Centre of the Earth (C64) = Madness - House of Fun
A-Team (C64) - Title Theme = Star Wars Theme
Abadox (NES) - Stage 2 = Gradius - Stage 5
Bad Dudes (Various) - Stage 1 = Jan Hammer - Miami Vice Theme
Bad Street Brawler (NES) - Even Numbered Stages = Batman (TV show) Theme
CrossFire - Title Theme (NES/Mega Drive)/Mission Briefings (Mega Drive) = Airwolf Theme
Double Dragon II (Various) - Stage 2 = Phil Collins - Easy Lover
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (NES) - Intro Theme = Rygar - Cutscenes
Frank Bruno's Boxing (C64) - Main Theme = Rocky Theme
Hello Kitty World (Famicom) - Gameplay Theme = Balloon Fight - Balloon Trip
Hydlide (NES) - Indiana Jones Theme
Micro Machines (Various) - Pre-Race Screen = Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
Pictionary (NES) - Piece Catching Minigame = Queen - Another One Bites The Dust
Race America (NES) - Title Theme = Guns 'n Roses - Paradise City
Rainbow Islands (Various) - Gameplay Theme = The Wizard of Oz - Over the Rainbow
Super Spy Hunter (NES) - Stage 2-1 = Peter Gunn Theme
The Town With No Name (Amiga CD32) - Intro = The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Theme
Track & Field (Various) - Title Theme = Vangelis - Chariots of Fire

One thing I wonder is if this sort of thing is legal. I assume it would be as long as they're chiptune versions of the songs (and not a PCM sample like Action 52's intro); I certainly don't remember any companies getting in trouble for this sort of thing.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »
Don't forget Earthbound, which is pretty much a melting pot of real-life references, whether it be songs, music, or whatever.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 07:08:35 AM »
Qiezei
Apr 17 2012, 08:45:44 PM
Don't forget Earthbound, which is pretty much a melting pot of real-life references, whether it be songs, music, or whatever.[/quote]I knew I missed a lot of obvious ones like that. :P

Mind you, didn't Super Mario RPG have music from one of the Final Fantasy games or something?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 02:45:54 PM »
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde had the same musician as Rygar AFAIK so they can probably get away with that one. Same deal with Hello Kitty World which is just a Hello Kittyfied NES port of Balloon Kid for the GB, developed by the same team.

If you're including unlicensed games (though obviously excluding pirates where the music is based on the original game, or ripped wholesale from something else Sintax-style, because that would cover loads of them) there's Fighting Hero's ending which is Secret Agent Man, plus everything from War in the Gulf...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:46:20 PM by taizou »

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 02:51:53 PM »
Awesome Panda
Apr 18 2012, 07:08:35 AM
Mind you, didn't Super Mario RPG have music from one of the Final Fantasy games or something?[/quote]Yes, it had the Final Fantasy theme and the FFIV boss theme during the secret Culex boss fight.

And on unlicensed games, you have 30 seconds to remember why Super Mario World 64 can be added to the list.  *plays Jeopardy theme*

Yawackhary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 05:37:33 PM »
Sorry for the bump and I'm not really knowledgable to be certain but there's a few that I can think of (some of these are already known but some of them aren't as known):

World Heroes 2 - Deathmatch: Bar (Not New York) = Mission Impossible Theme
Perfect Dark - Chicago = Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force - Light of Silence (Hard Ending)
Streets of Rage 3 - Percussion = Peter Gunn Theme (also the original Spy Hunter had that theme has well)
Streets of Rage 2 - Under Logic = Shamen - Move Any Mountain
Combat Cars - Player Select = What is Love?
James Pond 2: Robocod - Title Theme = RoboCop Theme
California Games (except Mega Drive version) - Title Theme = Louie Louie (also in Sonic Rush, Back 2 Back has a bit of Louie Louie in the song)
Item Pickup (Montazuma's Revenge) / Stage Clear (Sunset Riders) - La Cucaracha
BGM (Mikie) - A Hard Day's Night by The Beatles [then again in that era, songs were either basic jingles, arranged from popular music or used classical music]
BGM 2 (Mikie C64 version) - Twist and Shout [ditto]
Track 3 (Mayhem in Monsterland) - Tiny Toon Adventures Theme
Track 11 (Auf Wiedersehen Monty) - We are off to Sunny Spain, Viva Espana [While most songs are either original or jingles of their respectful countries as well as the Auf Wiedersehen Pet Theme, Track 11 is indeed from an actual song]
Stage Clear via the Tardis [I forgot what stage it was...](Mad Professor Mariati) = Doctor Who Theme

Not sure?:
Gradius II/Vulcan Venture - A Shooting Star = Red Dwarf Theme
In Italy (Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone) - An Italian song, might be 'O Sole Mio From what I listened to, it doesn't sound like the song at all unless it is the Walls ice cream version but it certainly is an Italian song

Vanilla Dome (Super Mario World) - You to Me are Everything by The Real Thing
Even though Vanilla Dome is much much simpler than the song, there is a part of the song that sounds like it. From 0:00 to 0:20, 1:33 to 1:42 especially. However due to tone and timing, not sure whether Koji Kondo had a 70s song in mind.

Even though I don't know exactly, apparently the Chuck Rock theme was based of some 70s song and John Carehag said that Combat Cars was more or less "inspired" by 2unlimited. There's also a song that has the lyrics "Take More" that sounds a lot like a Streets of Rage song but don't know the name of it. Speaking of which there are plently of songs that are covers from other things but that requires knowledge of classical music (lots of games had them, some games have The Nutcracker such as Dynamite Headdy), late 70s/early 80s Japanese music especially from YMO, Jean-Michel Jarre and eurodance/rave/nightclub music from the late 80s/early 90s that I don't have.

There are VGM songs that are inspired by other things but aren't ripped off:

Work it Out (Sonic R) - Moving on Up by The M People
While it definitely not the same song, it has the same sort of style. Considering Richard Jacques is English and Moving on Up was played fairly often on the radio around that era, it wouldn't be surprising if he did have some inspiration like Rusty Ruin from Sonic 3D Saturn was based off Sadeness from Enigma.

Power Wall [Theme of Muscle Power] (World Heroes) - Hulk Hogan's Theme
Considering that the character itself is a rip off of the Hulkster, wouldn't be surprised if ADK were inspired by the wrestler themes.

Ending Theme (Jim Power SNES) - Easy Lover
While most of the song is original, from 0:30 to 0:45 sounds suspeciously like Phil Collins.

Awesome Panda
Apr 17 2012, 07:58:56 PM
Race America (NES) - Title Theme = Guns 'n Roses - Paradise City[/quote]

The only thing on my mind from that song is Burnout Paradise (due to how many times it gets played, the title/menu music, the credits and even in game) but that is fully licensed.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 05:39:28 PM by Yawackhary »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 06:24:14 PM »
I've since thought of a few others. ;)

Gemstorm (PC) - Level 3 = Ottawan - D.I.S.C.O. (Mind you, all of the music in that game is ripped off I remember correctly)
DWANGO5 (Doom mod) - Map 11 = Level 1 of Gemstorm
Duke Nukem 3D (PC) - In Hiding = Blade Runner theme
Descent (PC) - Level 11(?) = MIDI version of Nine Inch Nails = Head Like a Hole
GTA (PC/PS1) - Trancefer - Figiwhiz samples Descent Into Cerberon from Quake II
Pokey (Famicom) - Horse Racing = Lone Ranger theme

recorderdude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 05:40:19 AM »
Earthworm Jim 2 - Moonlight Sonata (slow and fast, over "Villi People" and "Run Jim Run" Tarentella/Funiciuli Funicula (Mixture, "Puppy Love" levels.

(Here's a long stretch)

Sonic Adventure - Twinkle Park (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkKB2qSA13U, about 0-6s) and blue river - Cowsills (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2XgQ7uJeB4, starting around 5S in, more than half the song is that melody)

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 04:15:19 AM »
As I heard, the main menu theme of WCW/nWo Revenge, following the tradition of jimmyharting the already existing songs, is the rendition of a song named "Sexual Nightmare" or whatever its' title was (not to mention I forgot the artist's name).

Galaxy Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 08:21:03 PM »
Um, I am honestly surprised no one has mentioned the Unchained Melody rip from the 9999-in-1 XD. I also have a bootleg copy of Ultimate Street Fighter V (With 100 special Peoples!) that has Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins as Guile's theme.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:37:28 PM by Galaxy Knight »