Author Topic: Couple of interesting Taiwanese PC games  (Read 6556 times)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Couple of interesting Taiwanese PC games
« on: April 06, 2012, 04:20:10 PM »
okay these aren't pirates, nothing's stolen, they aren't even unlicensed (not least because that's impossible) but I think these two are interesting purely because of the companies that made them...

first off is Final Racing, a racing game made by Front Far East, who you may recognise from their various copiers. this is the European release published by Midas.

and one I mentioned earlier, X Battle Line, some kind of mech strategy game from Gamtec, developed by Never Ending Soft Team (of Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan fame) with music by the Vast Fame guy. This one is the original Taiwanese version.

these were both ripped from my original discs, I can't get them to run under Win 7 (unsurprisingly) or even XP. hopefully someone out there will have more luck.

anyway you can download them both from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?0j0s4j43vxyek

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:01:58 PM »
PROTIP! The music in X Battle Line is stored in ordinary .WAV files, and can be extracted from data.cab even if you can't install the game. (No recognizable Liao tunes from the past, but some of the songs just have that general feel. m04 and m12 especially seem that way to me.)

Edited to add: The cutscenes, similarly, are ordinary AVI files. With more Liao music!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:15:34 PM by codeman38 »

Linkrulezall

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 01:53:41 PM »
Ever heard of Final Combat? It's that infamous TF2 Clone. I just happen to have a copy.

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »
Er, that game is Chinese if anything.

Anyways, I'll take a look at these as soon as I can.

Smedis2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 10:00:43 AM »
200 MBS?!?
Holy crap! This game must be huge if part1 is that big!

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 07:48:04 AM »
Sorry for the bump, but has anyone got them working yet? :\
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:17:53 AM by Robbi »

fcgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 06:04:45 AM »
I recently got my hands on another Gamtec PC game.  This one has a Chinese title as well, but also the word "Wings" on the box.  Not sure of the game genre as of yet, haven't really given it a try.  Might pop it in next week and take it for a spin, might post some pics here too if there is an interest.  

Regards

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 02:08:51 PM »
Yeah I'd be interested in seeing something of that. I think it was listed for sale on Gamtec's site a couple of years back when they were selling old stock of their PC games, from what I recall it was an RPG but I could be wrong.

Galaxy Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 04:22:11 AM »
I may sound like a idiot for asking but I have 7Zip and I have no clue how to join these files together. So I can't look to see if I like the game or not :/

Mr^Burns

• View Profile
Re: Couple of interesting Taiwanese PC games
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 06:40:49 AM »
okay these aren't pirates, nothing's stolen, they aren't even unlicensed (not least because that's impossible) but I think these two are interesting purely because of the companies that made them...

Thanks for sharing these games.

Final Racing is a 3dfx/voodoo hardcoded game that won't even run with dxwnd/dgvoodoo in Windows 10 or in Vmware/Virtualbox so Pcem is required as it has pure 3dfx emulation support.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xM4fo7tTzmU

The downside with Pcem is that it requires a heavy Pc to run, as you can see my shitty ass laptop struggles with it, but if you have a good pc the game will run fine

X Battle Line runs fine in Vmware but requires either a Taiwanese copy of Windows XP or you can dl one of the MUI language addon packs on archive.org that will install Taiwanese Chinese into the normal English version of XP, the installer will not start if it doesn't detect Chinese support.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rL013tBIGvA