Author Topic: Impartial Judge hack of Myth Struggle... proof?  (Read 5264 times)

Brn89

• View Profile
Impartial Judge hack of Myth Struggle... proof?
« on: February 11, 2012, 08:41:40 AM »
I've been told by Kage that Impartial Judge is a major hack of Myth Struggle, and it's really hard to believe as the two games look so much different to each other (well, apart from the identical fighting engine). So, can anyone show any proof that the game is indeed a hack of Myth Struggle?
>>mindsConnected<<
The next-generation tech forum.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 09:34:01 AM »
Well they're two games running on the same engine, made by the same company. I don't think you could really call one a hack of the other. (They're both kinda hacks of DBZ Super Butoden 2 though... unless Waixing had permission from Hummer Team to use the engine, which they probably didn't)

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:00:24 AM »
Given that Waixing has also used game engines from Somari and Cony Soft's fighting games, I doubt they got permission to use them.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 11:43:57 AM »
yeah, the only thing that makes me wonder is that all those reused engines were from Taiwanese games rather than Japanese ones, and while Japanese devs definitely wouldn't have given them permission, Taiwanese ones might have.

But then I suppose if they wanted to steal an engine from a NES/Fami fighting game, most of them are Taiwanese anyway. It was that or TMNT Tournament Fighters basically.

RVVD4029

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 01:08:03 PM »
Brydorx now that i think about it. I think that impartial judge was rewritten from scratch. While myth struggle is a hack of dragon ball Z by hummer team.

TALUIGI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 11:34:51 AM »
Dragon Ball Z, And impartial judge, are actually a major hack, that remakes the entire game. or just reused/stoled the engine to make this game.

kazblox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 08:24:15 PM »
Funny you should say... Cony's sound engine is exactly the Chengdu/Waixing sound engine written by Han Li. So when it comes to the big hackfest competitions done by Waixing, there is a bit of irony here.

The music styles chosen by Cony musicians don't resemble the usual of Han Li and Xu Wei's work, so it even creates more suspicion here, for both companies that originated as early as 1993. I have yet to investigate if their driver appears anywhere else.

ProBoTector23

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 06:58:15 AM »
The Cony Soft sound engine rather it resembles Guo Qiyong's sound engine, especially the Venice Beach Volleyball (sounding and sound effects), but the game graphics also same as the Cony's games. This game is made by Idea-Tek and it was one of the last game before it disappeared in 1991. The Cony Soft in turn founded in 1992 and because the same sound engine and graphics are also, some Idea-Tek employee also to do with the Cony Soft establishing or created a completely different staff and took funds from Idea-Tek (similar case like the NTDEC/Asder - Rex Soft companies between). I think the latter, although who knows. :\
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 07:06:34 AM by ProBoTector23 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 11:48:09 AM »
hm, it would actually make sense if Idea-Tek was the connection here..

Idea-Tek (or at least their IP) was bought by TXC, and Chengdu Tai Jing Da Dong was originally a joint venture with TXC, so it's possible TXC provided Idea-Tek's sound engine to the TJDD devs. Meanwhile if some ex-Idea-Tek staff member(s) had gone to Cony after the TXC buyout, they could have taken the same sound engine with them.

kazblox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 04:17:46 PM »
Well that confirms the Idea-Tek resemblance.... the sound driver even goes back to the Joy Van era.

Most of the TXC games also share the driver as well (well duh, Idea-Tek), except for Chinese Chess, which uses a simple data steam format. The latter mention appears to be the origin of the sound engine for Super Hang-On '97 (the game both runs the Square sound driver and this sound driver at once!), Pandamar (uses bmi check to enable the driver), including Nice Code and Waixing's many multicart games.

For a note of distinguishment, Nice Code seems to have written two drivers at some point though, one coming from the early 2000's (Strange Pop Pop, Dejectile, etc) and one that appeared later in the decade (SNT games, some multicart games).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 06:01:02 PM by kazblox »

ProBoTector23

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 05:01:07 PM »
taizou
Mar 11 2017, 11:48:09 AM

Idea-Tek (or at least their IP) was bought by TXC, and Chengdu Tai Jing Da Dong was originally a joint venture with TXC, so it's possible TXC provided Idea-Tek's sound engine to the TJDD devs. Meanwhile if some ex-Idea-Tek staff member(s) had gone to Cony after the TXC buyout, they could have taken the same sound engine with them.[/quote]Perhaps there is some connection the Idea-Tek and Micro Genius / TXC Corp. between also, because the one of Micro Genius game (Policeman) also used the Guo Qiyong's sound engine. At least the sounding and the sound effects are the same (the Policeman jumping sound effect is same of the Venice Beach Volleyball selection sound effect).

Rocman X

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 09:05:40 PM »
How do you know if this is the "same" audio driver? Most of those numbers in that disassemble window are different, and also, what emulator is that in?

kazblox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 02:18:04 PM »
Anything that looks different is just RAM/offset constants. The instruction blocks and initialization are the same for the most part.

goku8800

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 01:53:23 AM »
Hack of my profile picture.

kazblox

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 05:27:26 PM »
piratenesgames
Mar 12 2017, 05:01:07 PM
taizou
Mar 11 2017, 11:48:09 AM

Idea-Tek (or at least their IP) was bought by TXC, and Chengdu Tai Jing Da Dong was originally a joint venture with TXC, so it's possible TXC provided Idea-Tek's sound engine to the TJDD devs. Meanwhile if some ex-Idea-Tek staff member(s) had gone to Cony after the TXC buyout, they could have taken the same sound engine with them.[/quote]Perhaps there is some connection the Idea-Tek and Micro Genius / TXC Corp. between also, because the one of Micro Genius game (Policeman) also used the Guo Qiyong's sound engine. At least the sounding and the sound effects are the same (the Policeman jumping sound effect is same of the Venice Beach Volleyball selection sound effect).[/quote]I have atleast checked Thunder Warrior, and it does use Guo Qiyong's sound engine. Journey to the West, published by TXC but developed by Tai Jing Da Dong Computer Co also uses Guo Qiyong's sound engine, according to a quick disassembly, even though the Idea-Tek had no relationship with this "joint venture" of sorts. Idea-Tek was in Taiwan, far, far, far away from Chengdu.

My theory is that when Idea-Tek was at it's knees, and went down only after distributing a few games under TXC, TXC quickly looked for a new developer to squeeze out a few more cash makers. This new team was supposedly a joint venture, and TXC probably gave it literally every development resource Idea-Tek had, through the form of code exchange. This includes Guo Qiyong's sound engine.

Thing is, did TXC ship Idea-Tek's tools overseas through mail? :lol: Internet and BBS would still be in the dial-up era at this stage.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 05:30:33 PM by kazblox »