Author Topic: VFame's Japanese is as bad as their English  (Read 3037 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
VFame's Japanese is as bad as their English
« on: November 10, 2010, 10:39:19 AM »
Alas, I don't know enough Japanese to know just how bad it is, but apparently 「ロツワ」 (rotsuwa) has become a sort of inside joke amongst some Japanese fans of pirate original games. That is how VFame misspelled 「ロック」 (rokku) in the intro to Rockman Z. That's right. They misspelled the main character's name. (Admittedly, the characters do look similar if you don't know Japanese kana...but still...)

There's also frequent reference to 「せんソょうし」 (sensoyoushi, where the 'so' is in the wrong alphabet entirely) in the intro. I'm gathering this is probably supposed to be 「せんびょうし」 (senbyoushi), which means 'death from disease caught during war'. This is an amusing enough mistake that it's actually a keyword on one of the Rockman Z playthrough vids on NicoVideo.

I wish I knew more Japanese now so I could laugh at it even more. But if anyone here is reasonably fluent, here's that playthrough video again, with intro.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:41:10 AM by codeman38 »

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:34:35 PM »
Holy crap, can they do any language right?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 10:18:27 PM »
its just as bad in Super Fighter S as far as I can tell from this video: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm3849799
(course i wouldnt know bad Japanese if it bit me on the arse, i can only judge based on the number of times people repeat a word followed by "wwwwwww")

edit: that video's not working for me at the moment, i can see the comments but not the actual video. no idea why

KingPepe

Holy crap, can they do any language right?[/quote]
Chinese. :D (I hope)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:19:06 PM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 10:25:27 PM »
taizou
Nov 10 2010, 10:18:27 PM
its just as bad in Super Fighter S as far as I can tell from this video: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm3849799
(course i wouldnt know bad Japanese if it bit me on the arse, i can only judge based on the number of times people repeat a word followed by "wwwwwww")[/quote]Oh, I forgot about there being Japanese in Super Fighter S! Now I'm going to have to go watch that video to see if I recognize anything that's horribly wrong, like switching character sets in mid-word, heh.

(It is loading for me, but I was having loading issues on NicoVideo earlier today.)

Edit: From my very limited knowledge of Japanese, I don't see anything as blatantly wrong spelling-wise as in Rockman Z, though they do seem to often use a small 'tsu' where a regular one would be correct (i.e., in places where it makes no sense to use the small 'tsu'). But for all I know, the grammar is the Japanese equivalent of "all your base".
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:43:20 PM by codeman38 »

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 10:42:03 PM »
taizou
Nov 10 2010, 10:18:27 PM
Chinese. :D (I hope)[/quote]...if they screw that one up, I have no comment.

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 11:24:53 PM »
Wow it's screwed up. They appear to have gotten the は character mixed up with な, so something like すばらしい in the intro instead looks like すな゛らしい. Also, せんソょうし appears to be the name of the city. I'm not sure what せんソょう is supposed to be, but the し probably represents the Kanji 市, as in city. There's just horrible misuse of the ゛ all around :x Lots of wrong characters used like the example above, plus the grammar is off.

Pretty much a Japanese "all your base" type thing like was guessed already =p It makes this stuff all the more fun though, you have to admit :D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:31:01 PM by Barver »