Author Topic: The Other Vii  (Read 4379 times)

Linkrulezall

• View Profile
The Other Vii
« on: September 30, 2011, 11:07:54 PM »
No, You didn't read the title wrong. There's ANOTHER Vii out there. And no, it's not another 8-bit famiclone, It's a proprietary 16/32 bit system! Take a look at This Alibaba Listing. What's that? More proof? Well, Okay! Here's Three Gameplay Videos.

Yeah, It's another weird Wii clone. Here's a brief description of the games:

Ping Pong - It's a bit like the Cube-Tech tennis game. And you can Practise instead of Practice!
Tennis - The same game again, but with tennis graphics
Boxing - Aside from some really good animation, it's a mediocre boxing game
Badminton - Once again, It's the ping pong game, with slightly altered physics.
Bowling - There wasn't too much footage of this one, but it looks like a cell phone bowling game.

Columns - Direct Columns clone, right down to the stolen graphics. Uses Butterfly as the BGM.
Incept Presents - Mad Xmas from the Dreamgear, but with an angel and a penguin.
Precious Stone - Tetris, with graphics stolen from Tengen Tetris. The game field is way too wide.
Flash Ghost - That game where you test your concentration, with the guy from Adventure Island
Black White Chess - Othello
Huarong Road - Modified version of Hua Rong Dao by Waixing
Memory - The SMB3 card flip, with pictures of Asian girls (Good thing Sachen and Hacker didn't make it)
Find Same Picture - Mahjong, with many, many stolen pictures from Pokemon.
Snake - Snake
Puzzle Bobble - Wow, they even ripped off the name! It's a direct carbon copy, but the physics are worse.
Guess fruit - Dian Shi Ma Li, but they replaced Fortran with a stolen King of Fighters picture.
Falcon - Tapper clone with pre-rendered 3D graphics
Ware.House - Sokoban
Fight to Fire - Clone of the Game and Watch Fire, with stolen sprites from Mario!
Shuttle - Some game where you have to slide around on ice to touch a sign.

The biggest difference between this one and the other ones is probably the blatant plagiarism. That and the surprisingly good graphics and sound.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Other Vii
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 01:50:05 AM »
Ooh. I'd actually seen those videos, and somehow missed the fact that this was actually sold under the Vii name.

There's another version of this same console, with a slightly different collection of mini-games, that's been sold in Europe as the "Wow"-- it's been discussed on this forum before, and taizou has some videos of that version's mini-games up on YouTube.

Also, the games are by none other than Shenzhen Nanjing, according to the Chinese copyright database!
Also, a couple other things that have been noticed plagiarism-wise:

The BGM in Columns isn't actually Butterfly. It's a mix of, like, three different tunes-- the bassline is from "Pretty Fly for a White Guy", the melody is (if I recall) from some strip poker game for Famicom, and although it's not shown in the video, the melody segues into Edwyn Collins' "A Girl Like You". Seriously.

The music in Memory is Phil Collins' "Another Day in Paradise". I guess Shenzhen Nanjing have a thing for British rockers named Collins. ::shrugs::

And the music in Find Same Picture is a really bad version of Mezase Pokemon Master, appropriately enough!
And here's another listing where this console is shown as a Vii... the packaging even clearly labels it as such. Hm.

Come to think of it, I seem to recall the official promotional video for the Wow showing a Vii brand at one point... ::checks:: Yep. Look at 00:16 in that video. Different design from the one on GlobalSources, though.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 02:16:20 AM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
The Other Vii
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 03:53:23 AM »
codeman38
Oct 1 2011, 01:50:05 AM
The BGM in Columns isn't actually Butterfly. It's a mix of, like, three different tunes-- the bassline is from "Pretty Fly for a White Guy", the melody is (if I recall) from some strip poker game for Famicom, and although it's not shown in the video, the melody segues into Edwyn Collins' "A Girl Like You". Seriously.[/quote]Emi-chan no Moero Yakyuuken!, don't ask me how I know that. :X

Another couple of things not pointed out here already:
- The graphics in Fight to Fire are mostly stolen from the Game & Watch Gallery Advance version of Fire.
- The graphics in Shuttle are stolen from some Pokémon game, if I remember correctly.
- The intro theme in the boxing game is Am I Evil by Metallica, which I think qualifies as a take that given their opinion on piracy. :P

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
The Other Vii
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 08:34:47 AM »
Ahhh this again. Its made (I think) by these guys - http://eng.sinango.com/index.php
they do 8-bit (with either Waixing or generic famicom games), 16-bit (Nanjing games), 32-bit (Shenzhen Niutai games) and now 32-bit 3D versions with a bunch of different case designs.

Strangely there's another version (of the 16-bit one) called the "MiniWi" that looks sort of like a variation on one of them but isn't on their site anywhere, and the extra games cart for that one is in a Macro Winners "BS" case with an NJ ID.. Which makes no sense to me but then these things rarely do.

Ninja-Kun

• View Profile
The Other Vii
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 11:17:21 AM »
Small correction: the bingo game is not Dian Shi Ma Li, but Xiao Ma Li by Idea-Tek. :P Also, I wonder if the sokoban game name was inspired on Warehouse No. 18 for the Famicom.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 11:18:36 AM by Ninja-Kun »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Other Vii
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 12:13:57 PM »
Ooh, don't know how I never noticed that on Sinango's site, but this console has the exact same chassis as the Wow. Except that this one claims to have 45 games, rather than 20 or 25 (I guess that's what the included cartridge is all about). Also, it's branded as "Toytronix".

Then there's this puzzling listing. One photo shows a "Vii" with the same case design as the Wow, while the other two show an "iSports" (wait, isn't that Subor's trademark?) with a different case.

This Chinese bootleg stuff is confusing...  O.o

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Other Vii
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 12:56:10 PM »
codeman38
Oct 1 2011, 12:13:57 PM
Then there's this puzzling listing. One photo shows a "Vii" with the same case design as the Wow, while the other two show an "iSports" (wait, isn't that Subor's trademark?) with a different case.

This Chinese bootleg stuff is confusing...  O.o[/quote]I might be wrong, but I think the pictures that don't have the "Sinango.com" message are stolen from elsewhere; the same thing goes with images of their other products. I'm guessing that Sinango can't be arsed to take extra photos of their products, which would be incredibly lazy if that was the case. :P

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Other Vii
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 02:26:02 PM »
Well that is weird, it's not just the same name, it's the exact same logo as Subor's iSports. The actual console there is definitely one of Sinango's consoles though, you can tell by the buttons. Theirs always have them in a square layout with A and B printed on the actual buttons in a pretty big font, Subor's arent like that.

oh yeah, heres another odd thing - http://eng.sinango.com/index.php?case=archive&act=show&aid=12
the "G" and "P" where the analogue sticks should be are actually the logo of Goodmans' (UK electronics company) short lived "Game & Play" line. I've got one of their other consoles which is actually a Jungletac thing, but I have seen one that looked like the one in Sinango's listing too - I assumed it'd be some other Jungletac console, but maybe not?

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Other Vii
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 02:51:44 PM »
taizou
Oct 1 2011, 02:26:02 PM
oh yeah, heres another odd thing - http://eng.sinango.com/index.php?case=archive&act=show&aid=12
the "G" and "P" where the analogue sticks should be are actually the logo of Goodmans' (UK electronics company) short lived "Game & Play" line. I've got one of their other consoles which is actually a Jungletac thing, but I have seen one that looked like the one in Sinango's listing too - I assumed it'd be some other Jungletac console, but maybe not?[/quote]You can check that if you want, but I'd have thought that they were JungleTac games as well.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Other Vii
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 03:26:20 PM »
Well I ordered from an ebay listing showing a console that looked like the Sinango one, and they sent me the one I got, so I dunno how I'd get hold of that other one really. My hunch is that the Goodmans original was Jungletac and Sinango just ripped off the design for their own console or something.

etabeta78

• View Profile
The Other Vii
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 04:41:19 PM »
I don't know if you noticed, but Vii (by Chintendo... LOL) is emulated in MESS (both the internal games and a couple of carts 7in1 and 10in1)

Linkrulezall

• View Profile
The Other Vii
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 11:47:03 PM »
etabeta78
Dec 7 2011, 04:41:19 PM
I don't know if you noticed, but Vii (by Chintendo... LOL) is emulated in MESS (both the internal games and a couple of carts 7in1 and 10in1)[/quote]I'm aware of that, and I've already done it. The motion controls flat out DON'T WORK. The emulator seems to think that the controller is just spazzing out the whole time. Combine that with the lack of audio, and you get a pretty unenjoyable experience.  :\

etabeta78

• View Profile
The Other Vii
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 04:35:43 AM »
would you mind helping me to reproduce this? if there is a bug it would be good to report it to MESS bugzilla tracking system
I have only tried a few games from the two carts and they worked pretty well, so I don't know exactly which game to check :)

also, I should have specified "preliminarly emulated" in MESS, but I had no issues with the few games I tried so I thought it was in a better shape
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 04:36:05 AM by etabeta78 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Other Vii
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »
The cart games work fine (aside from the lack of sound), but the motion games don't - as far as I know the motion controller isn't emulated at all.

incidentally would this mean other consoles using the same/similar Sunplus hardware could be emulated if they were dumped?