Author Topic: MaxPlay 10-in-1 (PS2)  (Read 6910 times)

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
MaxPlay 10-in-1 (PS2)
« on: September 29, 2011, 06:13:39 PM »
Earlier today, I found a PS2 compilation disk called MaxPlay 10-in-1 (stating the obvious, but whatever) and as the packaging states, it's an unlicensed compilation of what appear to be Flash games of some sort. (I'm guessing it's like a successor to the Maxi 15 or something) It was made by Datel in 2004 and is apparently the first in a series, although I have yet to see any others.

Here's some images of the box:

Spoiler: click to toggle

And here is a list of the games with a brief description:

JetPack 2 - Some weird game where you fly around in a jetpack and shoot at random idiots who do the same.
Paddle Panic - Breakout clone where you have 4 pads instead of one. In other words, it's sort of like the bosses from Kirby's Block Ball without the actual bosses. :P
Super Power Shot - It's a lot like that Ball Story game for the Famicom, except less awful.
Invaders - I think that one's pretty obvious. :whistle:
Chopper 2: The Return - Essentially that Helicopter flash game with somewhat better graphics.
Loop the Loop - Basically a clone of Thin Ice, which is in turn a clone of Qix.
Pop Em! - Super Pang clone, nuf said.
Dragon Tiles 3 - That 15 Puzzle game off Action 52, except with an actual picture which makes the game a lot harder.
Bounty Hunter X - Generic shooter with the option of choosing your special ability. (One of which clears all of the enemy bullets on the screen like in Exed Exes)
Proxima - A complete ripoff of Uridium for the Commodore 64, except this has vertical scrolling in it. This game also seems to be a fair bit easier.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
MaxPlay 10-in-1 (PS2)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 06:23:01 PM »
Hey, it's Datel, the people behind Rocket Games.  Funnily enough Rocket Games was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this.  I'm surprised that they (or anybody) were able to make unlicensed PS2 stuff.  Too bad it's simple compilation nonsense, rather than an honest attempt at a full-fledged game.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
MaxPlay 10-in-1 (PS2)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 06:57:21 PM »
Qiezei
Sep 29 2011, 06:23:01 PM
Hey, it's Datel, the people behind Rocket Games.  Funnily enough Rocket Games was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this.  I'm surprised that they (or anybody) were able to make unlicensed PS2 stuff.  Too bad it's simple compilation nonsense, rather than an honest attempt at a full-fledged game.[/quote]Seconded. -_- Personally, I'm surprised that this thing doesn't require the PS2 to be chipped in order to play it.

Also, didn't Datel make Famicom to NES converters or something?

Pepper-98

• View Profile
MaxPlay 10-in-1 (PS2)
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 07:02:12 PM »
Cheetahmen
Sep 29 2011, 06:57:21 PM
Qiezei
Sep 29 2011, 06:23:01 PM
Hey, it's Datel, the people behind Rocket Games.  Funnily enough Rocket Games was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this.  I'm surprised that they (or anybody) were able to make unlicensed PS2 stuff.  Too bad it's simple compilation nonsense, rather than an honest attempt at a full-fledged game.[/quote]Seconded. -_- Personally, I'm surprised that this thing doesn't require the PS2 to be chipped in order to play it.

Also, didn't Datel make Famicom to NES converters or something?[/quote]They were responsible for the Game Shark/Action Replay, but I don't know about any NES/Famicom stuff aside from that.  They did a bunch of stuff for old PCs, though.

Azathoth

• View Profile
MaxPlay 10-in-1 (PS2)
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 01:01:18 AM »
Wow, that is amazing.

Datel, Interact, and a few other companies had the ability to produce unlicensed bootable PS1 and PS2 disks but this is the first time I've heard of anyone making a game and not some type of utility disk.

Which brings up a topic that always puzzled me.... If Chinese manufacturers had the ability to produce booting CD/DVD disks like the Breaker Pro and Swap Magic disks, why the hell did they not add this info onto any of the thousands of bootleg titles they produced?

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
MaxPlay 10-in-1 (PS2)
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 03:16:41 AM »
Azathoth
Sep 30 2011, 01:01:18 AM
Wow, that is amazing.

Datel, Interact, and a few other companies had the ability to produce unlicensed bootable PS1 and PS2 disks but this is the first time I've heard of anyone making a game and not some type of utility disk.

Which brings up a topic that always puzzled me.... If Chinese manufacturers had the ability to produce booting CD/DVD disks like the Breaker Pro and Swap Magic disks, why the hell did they not add this info onto any of the thousands of bootleg titles they produced? [/quote]I'm guessing that due to certain laws in China, they never get the PS1 or PS2 and so they weren't able to make pirate games for them. I might be wrong on that though.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
MaxPlay 10-in-1 (PS2)
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 05:51:16 PM »
Right, I decided to look at the contents of the CD and from the looks of things, Datel didn't make any effort to compress or encode the data on it. The games are actually nothing more than GBA ROMs with all of the sound replaced with generic music tracks (which is a pity considering that a few of the games have some impressive MOD-style tracks). What's considerably weirder though is that there's a folder called "DELETE_ME" which contains a ROM of Metroid Fusion for what reason I don't know. O_o

Pepper-98

• View Profile
MaxPlay 10-in-1 (PS2)
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 06:16:48 PM »
Cheetahmen
Oct 5 2011, 05:51:16 PM
Right, I decided to look at the contents of the CD and from the looks of things, Datel didn't make any effort to compress or encode the data on it. The games are actually nothing more than GBA ROMs with all of the sound replaced with generic music tracks (which is a pity considering that a few of the games have some impressive MOD-style tracks). What's considerably weirder though is that there's a folder called "DELETE_ME" which contains a ROM of Metroid Fusion for what reason I don't know. O_o[/quote]Well that kinda sucks about the music.  Speaking of, would it be easy to "dump" the games, or worth it for that matter?  On another note, it looks like the Metroid Fusion ROM was to test out the emulator(?) seeing as the games are GBA ROMs.[/obvious]

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
MaxPlay 10-in-1 (PS2)
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 06:32:32 PM »
Qiezei
Oct 5 2011, 06:16:48 PM
On another note, it looks like the Metroid Fusion ROM was to test out the emulator(?) seeing as the games are GBA ROMs.[/obvious][/quote]Yeah, but you'd think they'd try to avoid copyright infringement by making it a basic test ROM or something. And it's not like it's well-hidden either, you can just put the disk into your computer and copy it. Also, I will upload the ROMs in a bit.

The ROMs. ;)

Pepper-98

• View Profile
MaxPlay 10-in-1 (PS2)
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 07:17:17 PM »
I like how one sound effect in Bounty Hunter X is just a bored guy going "zoom".  Also the music in Chopper and Loop Loop is really catchy.  I've tried the websites mentioned in Pop 'Em and Super Power Shot, but only SPS' website is up.  SWire sells tech stuff such as scanners, tuner and cables.  No mention of their game(s) or Ninewires on there at all.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
MaxPlay 10-in-1 (PS2)
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 07:26:21 PM »
Well how strange. I guess Datel were planning to make their own unlicensed GBA carts the same as they did for the GBC (as "Rocket Games") but for one reason or another they couldn't get the manufacturing sorted out and just ported an emulator to the PS2 instead. And they even used the same trick as they did with their old Game Booster for the N64, where they evidently couldn't get sound emulation working so they just looped some music over the top.

(and obviously the Metroid ROM wasn't supposed to be there, hence the folder being called DELETEME... but I guess that wasn't obvious enough for someone at Datel to actually notice and delete the damn thing)

Ninja-Kun

• View Profile
MaxPlay 10-in-1 (PS2)
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 07:33:49 PM »
Wow those are some lousy games. "Super Power Shot" reminds of of Lunar Ball or Prebilian (a weird Taito arcade). Also, it's kinda curious how they wasted DVDs by putting just barely over 1 MB of data on them.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
MaxPlay 10-in-1 (PS2)
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 11:38:54 PM »
OK, some of these are definitely demoscene-y things. Electric Keet, who's credited for music on Chopper II, is on Mod Archive.

(And that's exactly how much attention to detail was paid by Datel: they left in a credit for EKeet's music, which you can't even hear when playing the way they intended. Not entirely surprising when they left a copyrighted ROM on the disc, of course, but yeah...)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:39:36 PM by codeman38 »

Azathoth

• View Profile
MaxPlay 10-in-1 (PS2)
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 11:58:24 PM »
Wow, the information about this thing just keeps getting more and more weird. Looks like they released it for Gamecube as well.  I guess it kind of makes sense, being that Datel designed a Mega Drive emulator for PS2 also.

Does a GBA emulator for PS2 exist outside of the one Datel has created here?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:01:38 AM by Azathoth »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
MaxPlay 10-in-1 (PS2)
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 12:10:20 AM »
And yeah, looking even more closely at the selection of games on this... it's a combination of stuff produced specifically for Datel (which also seem to be the worst games, like Dragon Tiles) and pre-existing homebrew/demoscene stuff with the original credits intact and none to be found for Datel (i.e., the games that are actually half decent).
Oh, also, judging from this video of the GameCube version, that version does properly emulate the GBA's sound chip. Thus revealing that most of the games have no music, but at least allowing people to hear the awesome chiptunes on the ones that do have it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:29:54 AM by codeman38 »