Author Topic: Are all GBA clones garbage?  (Read 3627 times)

Azathoth

• View Profile
Are all GBA clones garbage?
« on: September 28, 2011, 04:10:56 AM »
Recently received one of the many Gameboy Advance clones on the market, this particular one supporting CPS1 & media files along with having a built in microSD slot.

Not that I expected anything great but I was definitely underwhelmed by it. I mainly wanted a GBASP shaped system with a nice screen to play my carts on, and while this one does have a really nice screen everything else is garbage. The cart slot might as well not even be there due to all the incompatibilities with real cartridges.

And believe me, I don't care what anyone says, if you can't see the frameskipping on not just one but every single damn game then you've never even played a real GBA.

From what I can gather all of these are just emulators run on the same chipset with varying degrees of internal memory and file format compatibilities based on the console's manufacturer. Am I wrong? Do all of these play like horseshit or is their a particular model that's actually good?

SonicZfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 03:23:55 PM »
I Think I have Seen some interesting looking ones, but It's you're opinion really. And, yeah most of them that claim to have something, just rip you off.

Ninja-Kun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 04:32:53 PM »
I have a PSP clone which, among other emulators, it plays GBA games. The game itself seem to run smoothly (unlike the SNES ones whose frameskip is plain terrible) but the system itself lacks a Select button, so any game that needs that button will be useless :\

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 05:49:41 PM »
Yeah they are all just emulators, and none of them seem to be powerful enough to run games without frameskipping. There are a couple of interesting looking ones out there (or at least they seem different), the Pocket XP by Jungletac & the Gamebox Advance, but I have no idea if they're actually any good. they might just have the same crap chipset inside for all I know.

SonicZfan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 01:15:52 PM »
taizou
Sep 28 2011, 05:49:41 PM
Yeah they are all just emulators, and none of them seem to be powerful enough to run games without frameskipping. There are a couple of interesting looking ones out there (or at least they seem different), the Pocket XP by Jungletac & the Gamebox Advance, but I have no idea if they're actually any good. they might just have the same crap chipset inside for all I know.[/quote]About the Jungletac one, the Vg Pocket Max? I have that one, it's just a bunch of 8 bit games, and most of the games in it are crap. Yeah but it connects to the Tv Via Av Cables. It Has most of the games You would see in a regular Jungletac Famiclone. Then there are the better looking ones, that i think look way interesting, But then again, could be a giant Ripoff.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 02:31:48 PM »
Nah, the VG Pocket Max is something else, I'm talking about the Pocket XP - it takes GBA carts and has Jungletac's original GBA games built in (ported from their 16 bit consoles)

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 02:44:32 PM »
The one I got was the Gamebox Advance, which I noticed doesn't completely power off when you turn the switch and will drain a fully charged battery overnight due to that. I don't know if that's just an odd defect or if all of them are like that, but it's effectively transformed it into a paperweight.

SonicZfan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 03:13:03 PM »
Azathoth
Sep 29 2011, 02:44:32 PM
The one I got was the Gamebox Advance, which I noticed doesn't completely power off when you turn the switch and will drain a fully charged battery overnight due to that. I don't know if that's just an odd defect or if all of them are like that, but it's effectively transformed it into a paperweight. [/quote]Ok that just sucks, lol I don't blame you for thinking all gba clones are Gar-bitch.
taizou
Sep 29 2011, 02:31:48 PM
Nah, the VG Pocket Max is something else, I'm talking about the Pocket XP - it takes GBA carts and has Jungletac's original GBA games built in (ported from their 16 bit consoles)[/quote]Oh, are one of the games in the Pocket XP like Tiger Rescue, Some Airplane Shooter, Something like that?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 03:14:13 PM by SonicZfan »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 03:35:27 PM »
Yeah, i think so.
oh and sorry to hear the Gamebox Advance sucks D:

Now that I think of it Timetop makes a GBA clone too, I wonder if theirs is any good?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:14:16 PM by taizou »