Author Topic: Waixing's downloadable NES games  (Read 23928 times)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Waixing's downloadable NES games
« on: September 20, 2011, 09:05:46 PM »
reposted from the staff forum:

a while back I discovered this site http://www.istudy666.cn run by Subor and providing downloads for various SD-slot equipped consoles and educational... things.

if you want to explore the site yourself, the first page is just a server selection, all servers have the same stuff. the next page is all the Subor products they have downloads for, the middle column is game consoles and the like. depending on the system you'll find all manner of software and games, this mostly native stuff for the 32-bit SPG293 system most of them run on, which unfortunately means we can't do much with those since there's no SPG293 emulator (at least not a public one).

but one interesting thing i found buried in there was a pack of 198 8-bit games  - 8-bit meaning NES naturally. Now obviously Subor isnt just going to put these up there for any tom, dick or harry to download and play on their NES emulator, they're in a custom encrypted .wxn format (wxn = WaiXiNg/WaiXing NES?) but the filenames seemed to indicate it was full of Waixing cart games plus their built-in stuff from various famiclones.

now that might have been the end of it, but since some of those games are already dumped I was able to compare them against existing dumps and figure out the encryption. (and i was pretty damn surprised that I managed it, since I've never decrypted anything in my life. I can only assume that means Waixing's encryption totally sucks.)

(Incidentally these encrypted roms also have their own header format, I havent figured it out exactly but it is at least somewhat based on iNES - it has PRG and CHR sizes in the same place for example. instead of "NES" it starts with "mfc", and I have found old listings for a PSP-lookalike MP4 player which claims to play "MFC" games among others, so maybe this format has been used elsewhere at some point?)

anyway I wrote a program to decrypt them and i've now decrypted all 198 of the damn things. only 43 of those games will run in emulators as is - some are normal NES games, some are VT03 so theyre in EmuVT .bin format.
As for the remainder, there are basically two different problems that occur with them - some don't display the proper graphics, they seem to be failing to switch banks when they should (and this applies for VT03 too). Others don't run at all, especially the larger RPG games. I'm not sure if these are mapper issues or if there's something wrong with the way I'm decrypting them, or the Subor console's emulator does something unusual, or what. in the case of the VT03 games it's quite likely that I'm not converting them to .bin format properly though.

so! have some files:

http://www.mediafire.com/?675buu2isdddi

8位游戏合集数据包.rar - Original archive. Subor's servers are slow as hell so i'm rehosting it.
wxdec02.zip - Decryption program, for windows (requires .net framework 2.0). it can also attempt to convert .nes to EmuVT .bin but thats fairly preliminary
wxdec02src.zip - Source code. if anyone wants to improve it or anything.
wx-working.rar - All working roms, plus their original encrypted versions
wx-notworking.rar - Non working roms, including encrypted, decrypted .nes and .bin where applicable. one or two roms might have wrong names since I can't actually see the title screens in most cases, but I've tried to keep them fairly accurate.

Matias

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 12:30:43 AM »
Downloading it! Thanks! I'll post later.

Brn89

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 07:35:51 AM »
Four of the games caught my attention. Golden Axe was a game mentioned in rinkaku's website years ago and is a fairly broken beat-em-up like Tian Wang Xiang Mo Zhuan, Jing Hua Yuan is one strange game where you move and shoot like in the Contra games and Zheng Jiu Shi Ji... good god, that looks like a poor man's Beyond Oasis and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do in it. Thanks for sharing anyway, Taizou.
>>mindsConnected<<
The next-generation tech forum.

Ninja-Kun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:07:50 AM »
Thank you Taizou! I'm downloading now.
I can't believe it, it seems that Nice Code actually took the hassle of improving the shoddy controls of Magic Bubble/Strange Pop Pop/Russia/whatever. It still sucks, but at least it's playable.
Among the non-working ROMS there is a dump of the VT03 version of Rare's "Slalom". I thought this hack was made by Tech-Cube, not Waixing. If only we could actually play it =/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:58:55 AM by Ninja-Kun »

iniche

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 01:44:08 PM »
This is the most interesting thing I've read and found out about in a while.

It was brought to my attention that this ROM pack includes alternate palette versions of both Desert Storm and Super Fight I, but that they don't work. That sucks, really :( I was wondering if you could look into those ROM's in particular, see if there could be done something. Also, might cah4e3 know a thing or two about these locked/encrypted ROM's?

In addition, I see that it includes some vt03 dumps. Do you know if any of those include Contra clones/pirates?

Thanks.

EDIT: Took out the accidental double post. -KingPepe
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:50:55 PM by KingPepe »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 02:00:31 PM »
iniche
Sep 21 2011, 01:44:08 PM
Also, might cah4e3 know a thing or two about these locked/encrypted ROM's?[/quote]He does have a page of decrypted SmyNES ROMs on his site, but I've got no idea if he decrypted them or not.

iniche

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »
It's the HORRIBLE IE9.

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 05:03:01 PM »
Byemu posted another version of "Ling Jie Hu Fa - Shock" on NESBBS a few weeks ago, but it crashes after beating the second stage. I tested it on FCEUX the first time. THEN I used VirtuaNES, Nestopia... but the same problem happens on them.

Ninja-Kun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 07:53:22 PM »
I just noticed that in 'Five Kids' (the alternate version of Wonder Rabbit) you can actually change characters by pressing select! For the one time in their lives, Waixing made something right.

Linkrulezall

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 08:21:20 PM »
Ninja-Kun
Sep 21 2011, 07:53:22 PM
I just noticed that in 'Five Kids' (the alternate version of Wonder Rabbit) you can actually change characters by pressing select! For the one time in their lives, Waixing made something right.[/quote]If I may chime in here, There does exist an alternate version of Wonder Rabbit (from my DreamGear 86-in-1 which apparently can't be dumped) that does that too. It seems that someone at waixing realized that they screwed up, and then changed it Actually, The DreamGear 75-in-1 version came later, because the actual unit doesn't have a select button. Then again, the 86-in-1 didn't have one either, so..... ARGH! I'M CONFUSED!  O.o

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 08:35:15 PM »
I think it was probably made using the select button from the start, and they just replaced it with A+B for versions on consoles that didn't have one .. Dunno why you'd actually make a famiclone with no select button, but that's Trump Grand for you.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »
Ninja-Kun
Sep 21 2011, 11:07:50 AM
Among the non-working ROMS there is a dump of the VT03 version of Rare's "Slalom". I thought this hack was made by Tech-Cube, not Waixing. If only we could actually play it =/[/quote]Waixing has licensed stuff from Cube Tech in the past, so not entirely surprising. Several games on the MiWi that have Waixing copyright numbers are also listed on Cube Tech's site.

XandeR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 10:55:40 AM »
Thank Taizou, a long time ago was the Golden Axe and I am very surprised with some games.

I found the version of the site in English http://en.istudy666.cn:84/

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 11:26:59 AM »
hey, nice find! I was wondering if there was an English version, since there's definitely at least one English Subor console out there with an SD slot (the iSports Pro)

g0me3

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 02:22:48 AM »
I have some of that dumps already from chinese friends, they wanted to emulate them too, and most of it couldn't be emulated by unknown reasons ;)

From this pack I have some games working on OneBus mapper (Desert Storm), some of 176 mapper games (Grandia) but need to be resetted before they work ;) the rest is probably can't be emulated due to some kind of data protection, don't know for sure... at least some of them is mapper 164/163 alike, need more researches ;)