Author Topic: New reprints of SNES pirates now in circulation  (Read 6907 times)

Azathoth

• View Profile
New reprints of SNES pirates now in circulation
« on: September 07, 2011, 01:55:02 AM »
A seller I had delt with in the past contacted me a few weeks ago about having an X-Men VS Street Fighter SNES cartridge for sale. Strange thing about it was it was in a Japanese style SFC shell with a "legitimate" looking Japanese label, unlike the SNES style Brazilian release with the crappy label.

Soon after that another guy I deal with had the same thing, and a Tekken 2 cartridge done in the same way.

I ended up buying the X-Men vs Street Fighter game and got it in the mail today. It's an actual newly produced cartridge, and by new I mean went straight from the warehouse to my hands. The cartridge shell is SFC style so it won't fit in a US SNES with the tabs still intact. The PCB is new, so it's not a used board from the late 1990's; it's not a first run version. The board itself has some strange things, attached is a picture of it.

Just in case you cannot read it, the EEPROM chip has "X-MEN" written on it, the top says NINTENDO SUPER FAMICOM CARTRIDGE, the left says LoROM 16Mbit By WeLoveGame, the chip on the left has 1990 NINTENDO on it. This points to a lot of really interesting things....

- WeLoveGame apparently produces their own PCB's, and probably shells being that it was a new one also
- They don't use globtops, which means either a low production run or a homemade outfit
- They're using EEPROMs, which no pirate outfit is going to use this day and age
- Why on earth does the CIC chip on the left have Nintendo on it? NO UNLICENSED GAME USES THESE! This points to using sac carts for the CIC chip?

The point of all this is that until this was cracked few years ago the only versions that existed were the original production runs by DVS or
whoever, there wasn't a "pirated" version available. I've dumped it and yep, this version has the copy protection routine removed. So basically what you're buying isn't a legitimate cart, but something along the lines of a more professionally made repro cart.

Attachments:

Doomkid

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.ws/doomkid/
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 09:35:54 AM »
Wow, those cartridges look really nice, actually. Would go well with those awesome new pieces of boxart posted recently on here :) Now if only the games were any good.. If someone would do this for NES pirates (Hummer Team, specifically), I'd be in heaven. I think that's literally the only console I've ever seen a worthwhile pirate for.. All the SNES stuff just feels like crap when you're playing it.

pichichi010

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:04:16 PM »
I know this is old.. but can I get the contact of the guy selling those? or of the We love game warehouse?

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 02:56:36 PM »
Couldn't find any information about WeLoveGame.

I haven't seen any of these in quite a while, but if I come across another I'll let you know.

Moneyspider_Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:08:34 PM »
I wonder how this games are distribuited worldwide. Few weeks ago i see a SF EX cartdridge in mercadolivre, but then vanished and nobody seems to have these games in south america (specially in chile, for my bad luck) :(

pichichi010

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »
Hey guys I am trying to find where to buy these?! if you search on alibaba.com 16 bit game cartridge, there are companies that sell those, but i dont know if they are compatible with the snes or sega.. they sell Nintendo DS, etc. any thoughts?

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 06:39:51 PM »
Your best bet is to keep an eye on eBay or other auction sites, or find members in this or other forums who might be able to locate the games for you. Most SNES titles are confined to South America and aren't widely available in China/HK.

Moneyspider_Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 09:41:42 PM »
Brazil, specially.

pichichi010

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 02:27:22 PM »
Anyone know where to find just the shells? the plastic shells, not the actual pcb.

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 09:46:59 PM »
Hmmm.... I don't know of anyone currently manufacturing new shells.

That's not to say they aren't being made, as I'm sure they are, but almost all the SNES pirates you find aren't made recently. The ones mentioned in this post are the only "new" pirates (commercial or otherwise) I've seen in a long time.

I'm sure there's a dozen factories right now shooting plastic into Famicom and MD molds but none I know of that are SNES/SFC.

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 02:31:46 AM »
Ran across a new reprint of Street Fighter EX + Alpha for SNES. It's the same deal as the Tekken 2 and XMvsSF reprints; Super Famicom shells with a "professional" Japanese style label. I didn't purchase it ($50 USD, sheesh!) but I'm 100% positive it uses the ROM that D4S cracked a few months ago. We'll probably be seeing Aladdin 2000 and the rest before it's over with.