Author Topic: Bare Knuckle III Terry Bogard pirate  (Read 4370 times)

Azathoth

• View Profile
Bare Knuckle III Terry Bogard pirate
« on: September 06, 2011, 12:10:22 AM »
A long (like 10+ years) ago I was really into the game enhancer "scene" and used to find codes with a Pro Action Replay for various systems. I was a big BK fan, and started working on it. I found the two unused motorbike stages in the Japanese version and wrote a FAQ about it. A few years after that BK got a larger following and a lot of people started to pick apart the ROM images and find lots of useful info.

So a few years ago I started reading about a guy named Red Crimson who was making a director's cut of Bare Knuckle III / Streets of Rage 3. He was going to incorporate new artwork, moves, and so forth making the game more complete to its original concept. There was a small blurb about the version of the game he ended up working with was from a Chinese pirate of the Japanese ROM that was both translated into Chinese and added Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury as a playable character.

From everything I read the source of that game was glossed over, it was only elaborated that since the Chinese programmer(s) had taken the time to restructure the game code to allow for additional character information this was easier than working from a regular Japanese ROM.

Does anyone know anything about this? I know there's a chance that it only exists as a fan-made hack and not an actual pirated cartridge, but given the circumstances and the source it's coming from I figured it did likely come from an actual cartridge. I have never even seen the actual ROM image and only know if it's existence through the information about the Director's Cut origins.

?

Aleximus

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 07:15:38 AM »
I saw that pirate on Russian torrent tracker and played it. But, I'm sorry, now I haven't it on my PC. I'll redownload it tomorrow and upload, OK?

andlabs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 08:23:39 AM »
The hack has been in recent discussion (though this particular thread is probably not the latest discussion); from my chats with Red Crimson some months ago it appears he's gotten quite far, but to be really sure someone else would need to talk about it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:24:48 AM by andlabs »

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 01:02:54 PM »
Aleximus
Sep 7 2011, 07:15:38 AM
But, I'm sorry, now I haven't it on my PC. I'll redownload it tomorrow and upload, OK?[/quote]If you can do it, that would be fantastic!

Aleximus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 04:46:54 AM »
Sorry for slowpokeness, but here's the rom.

It's name is "Wu Yu-Yen Fighter".
http://www.mediafire.com/?8dr8wqpfpdi62w8

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 04:06:35 AM »
Wow, I had no idea that was the name it went by, nor how crappy it was.

Thanks for pointing this out. I guess it's obvious that it was never actually produced on cartridge. It's horrible!

Brn89

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 04:20:40 AM »
Oh my god. That was one dreadful game :shock: The music and background graphics are screwed up (as they appear as coloured blocks) and I like how Terry's sprite becomes Axel's when he walks. Although, is it really a pirate game? I mean, in it's ROM name "PD" means Public Domain so that doesn't really mean that it is a pirate game :unsure:

And, I'm not sure if this horrible things are actually in the game or purpose or is it an emulation error. Might be the former...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 04:20:59 AM by Brn89 »
>>mindsConnected<<
The next-generation tech forum.

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 06:14:44 AM »
Looks like someone's programming project they didn't quite finish :p I wonder too if it's really PD. This reminds me of Pocket Monsters for SNES having been in the goodset as a PD rom for years, since it only played the intro and never got past in due to copy protection, people assumed it was just a small demo. This may be another case where someone assumed it was a PD demo just because of how little content they're seeing.

Though this is a few steps above the usual "we didn't care when we made this" feeling you get from most pirates :p

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 10:28:08 AM »
Sweet merciful christ, that music.  :shock:  It's like what would happen if Yong Yong made Megadrive games.  I think that it's either screwed up by copy protection/emulation (Rockman 8 GB only works on one lesser-known emulator) or that it's a prototype hack that the bootleggers didn't finish with.  Not sure how likely that last one is, but it kept popping in my head when playing it.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 11:03:57 AM »
Qiezei
Sep 10 2011, 10:28:08 AM
Sweet merciful christ, that music.  :shock:  It's like what would happen if Yong Yong made Megadrive games.  I think that it's either screwed up by copy protection/emulation (Rockman 8 GB only works on one lesser-known emulator) or that it's a prototype hack that the bootleggers didn't finish with.  Not sure how likely that last one is, but it kept popping in my head when playing it.[/quote]In all fairness, the orignal music wasn't all that great to begin with. (Especially when compared with the first two games :P ) I'm guessing that it was either deliberately designed to be awful (like Mock 2: The Speed of Stupid or something) or the copyright protection issue that you mentioned.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 11:04:56 AM »
Cheetahmen
Sep 10 2011, 11:03:57 AM
In all fairness, the orignal music wasn't all that great to begin with. (Especially when compared with the first two games :P ) I'm guessing that it was either deliberately designed to be awful (like Mock 2: The Speed of Stupid or something) or the copyright protection issue that you mentioned.[/quote]Er, I guess it's definitely NOT a bootleg hack. And yes, several music channels weren't screwed up intentionally, obviously enough.