Author Topic: Converted fonts from DeluxePaint II Enhanced  (Read 2935 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Converted fonts from DeluxePaint II Enhanced
« on: August 20, 2011, 08:04:25 PM »
So, I've successfully managed to reverse-engineer the font format used in DeluxePaint II Enhanced. Which, as I'm sure I've mentioned numerous times here, is second only to PC Paint in how often its stock fonts are used in bootleg games. (These fonts are also used in more than a few legitimate games, incidentally-- DeluxePaint was quite popular amongst video game developers in general.)

I'm considering converting all these to TrueType at some point in the future, but I've already got the whole set converted into Unix BDF format as it is (they load into FontForge and look perfect!). Here's the zip of the BDF files, for anyone who might be able to do something with them, along with the Python script I made to convert the originals.

Y'all might recognize this one from a few bootleg games, for instance:

Or how 'bout this one?

Or this one? I think I've even seen this one used by Nice Code:

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 08:50:20 PM »
In other words, Sachen (or ex-developers, can't remember which), Yong Yong and Nice Code had the same graphic editing program?

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 09:00:58 PM »
Cheetahmen
Aug 20 2011, 08:50:20 PM
In other words, Sachen (or ex-developers, can't remember which), Yong Yong and Nice Code had the same graphic editing program?[/quote]Yep!

Sintax and Gamtec occasionally used it too, though not as often as they used PC Paint.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 09:11:09 PM »
Yeah it was huge in the 90s. I had it for the Amiga when I was, like, 5. I'm surprised Nice Code still uses it though.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 10:12:12 PM »
And I had the DOS version when I was a kid. It's the whole reason I recognized the source of half these fonts in pirate games.
Just remembered another bootleg dev that used DeluxePaint: Inventor! Every font on the title screen of Street Dance is from DeluxePaint.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 01:26:28 PM by codeman38 »