Author Topic: Zelda - San Shen Zhi Li  (Read 8713 times)

SpaceNinja

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Zelda - San Shen Zhi Li
« on: August 09, 2011, 03:06:52 AM »
Hey guys, I decided to open a topic about Zelda - San Shen Zhi Li, which is the latest Zelda pirate that we could put our hands on in ROM format. There might be a question "Why did you open the topic in the first place?" - My answer is simple: I beat the other two Zelda NES pirates on my own. I beat the Minish Cap game first and was tempted to do the "Phantom Hourglass" titlescreen hack, but since I found absolutely no difference about 15% into the game, I officially abandoned that game and labeled it "No point of playing this". Then in this year, I started to figure out the Feng Yin Dao / Link's Awakening pirate. First off, it was really, REALLY annoying to only have three hearts, so therefore I hooked in my trusted FCEUX and froze the HP on three, so I didn't have to worry about dying (oh, the dying animation - non-existant, genial, SNT). I slowly, but steadily went through the very short game and you can see the ending on my DN21 account since... March or something.

But last week the third one joined the ride. I wanted to play this since I saw it for the first time. And now, Waixing's best (?) game is here. Link to the Past got its Waixing treatment, and is now getting MY treatment too. Now, since this is a backport and I have never played the SNES original, I was thinking about using a playthrough of the SNES version so it would help me out. I only did this one other time, when I got my hands on the Naruto pirate. That was a JP-only GBA game's backport and it wonderfully followed the original so it also bowed down with its ending.

I was having zero progress until Cah4e3 fixed the savestating in his FCEU mod. Until then, I encountered really weird errors when loading. (Plus since it didn't really support mapper 163 (SNT) savestating, I DO NOT FORGET HUAN SHI LU - got halfway into the game in one sit, saved, went to sleep, came back to it next day, savestate reset the game all the time, FFFFUUUU and then I got FCEUX, lol)

After it was - very quickly, I gotta admit - fixed, I could start my way into the game. Now, you probably know I don't understand Chinese at all. This was some problem for me in the very beginning, however I still started up the kill of this game.

I quickly realized which screen shows what. The total screens of the game seem to be cut a bit, but this only helped me getting to the targets quicker. So I got used to throwing bushes, finding HP/MP/rupees under them. I got to the uncle giving me the sword and shield very quick. Then I really spotted the porting was kinda spot on. Got the potion something, found the castle dungeon quick, got two keys, found Zelda and then came the next thing I have to point out, after seeing the mace knight bossfight is non-existant.

The catacombs. This part of the game is cut down only TWO screens. That's okay, I guess. I got to the Sanctuary in no time, so I could have thought "this is going very well!" - and then...

...then I got stuck, so I started to look over every single screen. I got the Ice Rod and a cane earlier than the FAQ says. Lol. Bombs, Boomerang also got quickly. I then spotted the first dungeon. Great, althought it did not let me enter. And I found my error: I accidentally forgot to check one screen with a house that is a must to visit. I then had the opportunity to enter.

Awesome, it seems to follow the original a bit. After a little problem opening a door I quickly put myself together and I got to the first bossfight.

And then I laughed. The original game requires you to use the newly got Bow+Arrow duo to defeat the Armos Knights. What did I do? I went into the middle of their circle, I found the spot where to hit them, I sped it up, death death death death *Chinese text* okay, thend
But no heart container thingies. No teleporting out. You have to go out on your own. Blah. So I re-visited the house with the Saha.... I dunno his name, I don't care, with the guy who gave me the Pegasus shoes now.

Now, according to the original, I need to get the Book of Mudora in order to go to a desert with the second dungeon. Now, I remember a house with bookshelves aka library, so I need to find that.

------

And this is where I am now. Not much, but it's still progress. From now on, I will be posting pictures too. (By the powers of Print Screen button, LOL!)

Barver

• View Profile
Zelda - San Shen Zhi Li
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 06:20:51 AM »
There's a library underneath the Kakariko village. You have to use the running boots to run into the bottom left book shelf IIRC.

It's much more interesting when you know the original game before playing this IMO. You've never played Link to the Past before? You should check it out :)

SpaceNinja

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Zelda - San Shen Zhi Li
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 06:37:56 AM »
I should, but this is more challenging this way :P

Now I got the Book of Mudora as I found the library again. Now, I know I need this to enter the second dungeon, although I seem to be missing something to enter yet.
Update: Second dungeon, all I needed is to push Select. Tricky bastards, but proper porting.
Another update: Second dungeon seemed to have no bossfight. Got the Power Glove, and now I'm already seem to be up at the Death Mountain. Got the Mirror too, now I need to figure out how to get to the other side of a bridge.
And another one: Third dungeon complete.
Current status:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 01:41:03 PM by SpaceNinja »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Zelda - San Shen Zhi Li
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 01:56:32 PM »
was there a boss in the third dungeon?

SpaceNinja

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Zelda - San Shen Zhi Li
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 02:00:39 PM »
Back after some work. There WAS a boss in the second dungeon, I just forgot to move further. Got all penchants, starting to make use of the Mirror.
@Taizou: yeah, I killed it quickly :P

Current status:
One more update for today.
Completed one Dark World dungeon, got the first crystal, got the level 3 sword, got an arrow-dildo looking something that I'm too lazy to print screen and now what the fuck is this:

Bombs don't work...

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:37:41 PM by SpaceNinja »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Zelda - San Shen Zhi Li
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 03:40:56 PM »
Are you sure you're going the right way? It might help if I played the original version, but I'm too lazy for that. :P

SpaceNinja

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Zelda - San Shen Zhi Li
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 03:42:34 PM »
Can you explain how can I get to that door then? :P

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Zelda - San Shen Zhi Li
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 03:45:47 PM »
Through another part of the dungeon you haven't got to yet?

SpaceNinja

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Zelda - San Shen Zhi Li
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 03:53:21 PM »
I was everywhere, as far as I can tell.

We'll see... tomorrow D:

Barver

• View Profile
Zelda - San Shen Zhi Li
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 03:12:23 AM »
You're supposed to get a hookshot and use it to connect to the skull up there across from the platform at the bottom right. IIRC this is where I got stuck and never played further =p I've still gotta play the ROM and see if I have better luck than when I first got the game last year.

SpaceNinja

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Zelda - San Shen Zhi Li
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 06:54:43 AM »

Some progress made, got two crystals already. Is THAT the slingshot?

Barver

• View Profile
Zelda - San Shen Zhi Li
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 06:59:06 AM »
The hookshot is the one on the right of the bow and arrow.

SpaceNinja

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Zelda - San Shen Zhi Li
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 07:11:03 AM »
Oh, cool, seems like I'm spot on again with the game.

I'll get to this game now and see how it pans out, I'm not THAT far from finishing the game.
I did it! Thanks! :)
Four crystals, Helmasaur King is down.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:37:09 AM by SpaceNinja »

GameMachineJames

• View Profile
Zelda - San Shen Zhi Li
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 11:52:48 PM »
So how faithful is the port overall?

Definately a "buy this now!" ?

Barver

• View Profile
Zelda - San Shen Zhi Li
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 03:17:01 AM »
That opinion is going to differ a lot, it has its own pirate qualities to it that some might like and others hate. You'd best download the ROM yourself and form you own opinion =p