Author Topic: Rocket Games  (Read 2363 times)

Brn89

• View Profile
Rocket Games
« on: August 02, 2011, 04:04:48 AM »
Anyone heard of this company, that have produced games like Painter and Hang Time Basketball? I have, but I'm not sure if their games are actually the pirated kind because they're too good to be the average one, and look more like homebrews. Can anyone help me out here?
>>mindsConnected<<
The next-generation tech forum.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Rocket Games
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 09:56:35 AM »
I think it was part of Datel. Definitely unlicensed, anyway. seems to have been a few different developers working on these things, it wouldn't surprise me if they were actually homebrew devs that Datel paid to make games for them.

also talking of UK based unlicensed GB publishers, I think I read somewhere that Midas Interactive was once working on a line of unlicensed GBC games, but I don't think anything ever came of that..

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Rocket Games
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 09:58:40 AM »
taizou
Aug 2 2011, 09:56:35 AM
I think it was part of Datel. Definitely unlicensed, anyway. seems to have been a few different developers working on these things, it wouldn't surprise me if they were actually homebrew devs that Datel paid to make games for them.[/quote]Yep, they're part of Datel. 64scener posted about them on NESWorld.

http://www.nesworld.com/gbx-rocketgames.php

On that note, their Space Invaders clone "Space Invasion" uses a cover of the music from "Delta" for C64. Wonder if they actually hired Rob Hubbard or it was just someone else covering his music?

Edit: Could very well be. Thalamus, the developers of Delta, has taken credit for Space Invasion... so at least they used the music with permission, if nothing else. :)

Edit #2: Sound programming for Space Invasion was done by Jon Wells-- but he does give full credit to Rob Hubbard in the ROM. :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 02:29:53 PM by codeman38 »

Brn89

• View Profile
Rocket Games
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:03:31 AM »
So, would the games from Rocket Games be classified as pirated or unlicensed then? :unsure: I'm asking this because I would like to do videos on them but it'd be a bit odd putting them under Pirate Showcase if they're not really pirate games.
>>mindsConnected<<
The next-generation tech forum.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Rocket Games
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 10:05:36 AM »
BrydoRX
Aug 2 2011, 10:03:31 AM
So, would the games from Rocket Games be classified as pirated or unlicensed then? :unsure: I'm asking this because I would like to do videos on them but it'd be a bit odd putting them under Pirate Showcase if they're not really pirate games.[/quote]I'd classify them as unlicensed, but not pirated-- not unlike Codemasters' NES work, for instance.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:05:45 AM by codeman38 »