Author Topic: Unused Chinese text in Underground Mission?  (Read 508 times)

SuperKlondike64

• View Profile
Unused Chinese text in Underground Mission?
« on: June 14, 2024, 10:56:51 PM »
Hello again! While I was ripping sprites from UM (Specifically the version from the Power Joy Navigator), I had discovered that besides various unused sprites (including some interesting things like the dog enemies from Monkey King, other unused enemy types, and Shanghai Paradise branding), there was a big block of Chinese text, stored in the same bank as the title screen. Unfortunately, a pretty sizeable amount was written over with "UNDERGROUND MISSION", which is used in the game. This is because the color palette comprises of a shade of pink and an additional 2 shades of black to hide the extra characters. I wondered if the characters were actually still assembled in the nametables, so I did a bit of hex editing, and I think I got something. I know it's mostly illegible, but could this text have any significance? Thanks in advance!

lancuster

• View Profile
Re: Unused Chinese text in Underground Mission?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2024, 03:58:56 AM »
This is what was decrypted through the OCR service. Some of the hieroglyphs were not recognized, but it can be understood from them that these are just copyrights of the developers.
Here is the text:
上海天游间运实业
公司版权所有总经
理曹---7年元;

SuperKlondike64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2024, 10:59:05 AM »
Thanks a lot! I believe these were also used in a screen in Super Hang-On 1997, seen here:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 11:01:23 AM by SuperKlondike64 »

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2024, 05:27:46 AM »
Here is it.
Chinese:
上海天苑科技实业公司
版权所有
总经理: 曹怀贞
1997 年元月
English:
Shanghai Tianyuan Technology Industrial Company
All rights reserved
General Manager: Cao Huaizhen
January 1997