Author Topic: Looking for Star Keeper ROM dump  (Read 638 times)

lancuster

• View Profile
Looking for Star Keeper ROM dump
« on: March 12, 2024, 03:11:32 PM »
Is there a dump of this game anywhere?
If you can't distribute it here, write to me in PM about the dump.

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
Re: Looking for Star Keeper ROM dump
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 04:05:32 PM »
No, because the game itself runs on the CPLD. The 6502 program only reads the controller and plays sound. It's basically like the DOOM cartridge except that you don't see it.

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 05:05:25 PM »
No, because the game itself runs on the CPLD. The 6502 program only reads the controller and plays sound. It's basically like the DOOM cartridge except that you don't see it.
Perhaps the Steam version of this game will give at least some hope to play the game, even if without sound (like the Steam version of Jay and Silent Bob).

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 07:49:33 AM »
Attached is the only ROM chip data of the cartridge of Star Keeper. As far as I see it, all it does is play sound and send controller input to the CPLD.

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 08:29:39 AM »
Also, I have taken a look at the Steam version's StarKeeper.exe. While it does have NES 2bpp graphics, there seems to be no 6502 code in there, either.

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 08:45:15 AM »
Attached is the only ROM chip data of the cartridge of Star Keeper. As far as I see it, all it does is play sound and send controller input to the CPLD.
Actually, I saw this file earlier, and naively thought that some kind of compression was used in it and that the file needed to be decrypted.
Unfortunately, this game will not be available to play on hardware. Anyway, considering how much time it took all the attempts to dump the ROM, this game isn't worth it.