Author Topic: miscellaNEouS files  (Read 4644 times)

forgotusername

• View Profile
Re: miscellaNEouS files
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2024, 02:43:55 PM »
The "decompilation" was referring to CoolX, which pertains to the other games you mentioned (Boogerman II, FDS ports etc.). The Action 52 rips I mostly re-coded myself, and are unrelated to CoolX; there is no full decompiling of Action 52 AFAIK.

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2024, 04:52:27 PM »
The "decompilation" was referring to CoolX, which pertains to the other games you mentioned (Boogerman II, FDS ports etc.). The Action 52 rips I mostly re-coded myself, and are unrelated to CoolX; there is no full decompiling of Action 52 AFAIK.
Clear.
I once set out to improve the first Cheetahmen, but it didn't go beyond small edits. There is a port of this game on MMC1, I also rewrote the intro for the game based on the intro from the sequel (so that you can skip it and go to the menu with a pause), but the music from the intro of the second part remains in it ("Bossa Nova", if you know).
I also planned to insert an intro at the end of the game so that after the last boss there would be a screens with frames from the Action 52 advertisement, as well as rework the characters and enemies under the 8x16 sprite mode to insert the sprites of the Sega version, but I lack the help of a person who understands machine code or assembler.
By the way. I have trimmed to 48 kilobytes the famous dump of Cheetahmen: The Creation.

forgotusername

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2024, 05:43:06 PM »
Here are MMC3 conversions of the two Ocean-published Bubble Bobble games: Rainbow Islands and Parasol Stars. Note that these were PAL-exclusive releases originally, and have slight graphics issues on later levels if run as NTSC (which isn't a result of the mapper hack).

The method in which I was able to convert these games is quite bizarre. I found that four Ocean releases - Rainbow Islands, Parasol Stars, The Addams Family, and Cool World - feature near-identical opcodes and code structure. There is a fan-made Addams Family MMC3 port by "infidelity" which included documentation, so I used that as reference for Rainbow Islands/Parasol Stars; alongside some code from a bootleg Cool World conversion.

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2024, 04:51:12 AM »
Dragon Ball Z 5 - CHR ROM Optimized by me (Reduced to 256 kilobytes). ROM mapper is still the same.
I also saw a lot of unused empty space in the PRG ROM (more than 20000 bytes) to reduce the PRG size to 128 kilobytes, but for this it's necessary to disassemble the game in order to rebuild the ROM.

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2024, 09:14:07 AM »
The game already runs as mapper 4 submapper 4. I made a small change to the IRQ code to run it as regular MMC3. I only checked the initial screens, however.

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2024, 10:03:30 AM »
The game already runs as mapper 4 submapper 4. I made a small change to the IRQ code to run it as regular MMC3. I only checked the initial screens, however.
Ha, it was unexpected) :)
I also have some work on San Guo Zhi - Chi Bi Zhi Zhan by Asder, which I wanted to make more closer to the arcade original, optimizing the CHR data along the way. This game has already been ported by Sharpnull to the MMC3 mapper (see attachment).
But I have problems with text output (it's better to convert it to a standard output type) and in some places (in cutscenes with text) the graphics banks don't want to change, only with banks located nearby.

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2024, 01:42:38 PM »
Deerstalking from Nice Code Software - MMC3 port by Sharpnull:

forgotusername

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2024, 12:45:49 AM »
I don't believe I've run into Sharpnull before (first I've heard of the name), but I found that he created more elaborate decodes of the Digital EZ-LG games; I've attached them here, as they should probably supersede my attempt posted here previously.

forgotusername

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2024, 01:51:29 AM »
Here are five of the "Super" hacks seen on some early 90s multicarts - Super Donkey Kong 3, Super Galaxian, Super Pac-Man, Super Pooyan, and Super Star Soldier. These are pretty simple hacks conceptually; Super Pac-Man greatly increases Pac-Man's speed (similar to the arcade "speed-up chip" hack), while the other three just increase the player's bullet speed/power. Some multicarts also feature a "Super Star Force", though I haven't included it here for the simple reason that I can't figure out what it actually changes (outside of some nasty title screen coloring...)

Normally, these games are built into the original versions in code (i.e. unhacked Pac-Man runs on the same file as Super Pac-Man); I wasn't able to rip them for the longest time because of this. However, I came across a couple multicarts which run the "Super" games separately from the originals, allowing them to be extracted.

TheBestNiceCoder

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2024, 10:23:26 AM »
I still like the nasty colors

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2024, 07:39:56 AM »
Posted here in case anyone doesn't have a rom of this game:

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2024, 02:03:26 AM »
Puzzle game from Asder educational Famicom cartridge:

forgotusername

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2024, 09:45:10 AM »
Thank you, I was unable to rip Puzzle and Xin Ji Zhan Jiang previously (outside of some of the hacked variants).

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2024, 01:15:25 PM »
It would be great to see these games in a separate form and without binding to the keyboard:

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2024, 02:09:01 PM »
Mini collection of The Cheetahmen games (standalone The Cheetahmen on 228 and MMC1 mapper also included):