Author Topic: miscellaNEouS files  (Read 4651 times)

forgotusername

• View Profile
miscellaNEouS files
« on: November 05, 2023, 06:21:31 PM »
I've ended up with a rather large selection of random NES files that I haven't released anywhere, generally obtained from hack testing and whatnot. Since I've never really found a place to put these, I figured making a miscellaneous thread here could be a good way to distribute them.

To start, here are three hacks obtained from some quite obscure multicarts. Down Deep (a Dig Dug hack) was unplayable within the multicart itself, while Route-16 Moto (hack of Route-16 Turbo) was on a plug & play thing that I couldn't get to emulate properly (it's somewhere on Clusterrr's website...) Dungeon Escape was playable on the multicart iirc, though it's a very obscure game variant regardless.

forgotusername

• View Profile
Re: miscellaNEouS files
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 07:06:23 PM »
I have a massive folder of NROM and MMC3 conversions (that's mappers 0 and 4 in iNES header-speak), which are generally bootleg in origin. I'm not sure how much interest people have in mapper conversions these days (I mainly use them for the purposes of rom hacking), though I may as well publish them here. The folders are as follows:

*MMC3 conversions - CoolX-Lite: a set of very elaborate conversions, designed for a customizable multicart developed in Ukraine. while most are pure MMC3, some are based on the "CoolX" mapper itself, which i don't think exists in the iNES 2.0 database yet. there was a giant github page for these which seems to have been taken down, so this moreso serves as a mirror for them. about 100 games in here.
*MMC3 conversions - multicart rips: conversions which i've ripped from various multicarts and plug & plays; many of these are CNROM (or CNROM-like) games. quality control greatly varies with these, some work perfectly while others do not (for example, buggy popper crashes at level 4). 113 games here.
*NROM conversions - misc: anything NROM-based. a few of these are likely available elsewhere, though they can be difficult to find. some of these (including everything in the "plug & play" folder) are my own conversions, with some being created as a "basis" for my previous rom hacks. around 50 games here.

I skipped the other directories I have, as those files can generally be found elsewhere (GoodNES, romhacking.net, clusterrr's website, etc).

Y2K05

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 09:38:53 PM »
I'm interested in mapper conversions, as it can make the ROMs more accessible, such as Virtual Console imports, so converting to a common mapper is definitely appreciated. Thank you!

forgotusername

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 01:34:30 PM »
No problem. :)

Y2K05

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 11:19:06 PM »
I remember asking before about some tool that converts from bootleg mapper to common one, but from what I've heard it has to be done manually & with expertise in ROM hacking

I don't know what mapper is used by Donkey Kong Country 4 from Hummer Team, but from what I recall, it was not a common mapper.

forgotusername

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 05:29:30 PM »
Recently, I did a large study on "educational computer" Famiclones. As part of this research, I ripped many ROMs from various educational computer systems and cartridges.

Many years ago, I attempted to rip some of the educational computer games as standalone ROMs; though I dubbed almost all of them "bad roms", as they would display glitchy graphics in every emulator. As it turns out, however, I simply...didn't understand how the coding of the games worked. On almost every educational computer device, the internal programs read all graphic data off of the PRG rather than using an additional CHR chip. In my older extracts, I had unknowingly copied decoded graphic data to the games as separate CHR data, which FCEUX places as additional (often incomplete) code in its hex editor. With this in mind, I was now able to extract the ROMs without issue.

It is still rather obtuse to run some of these via single-rom extracts, given the multitude of different inputs required between programs. Most games use a Subor keyboard and either a "3x8-bit mouse" or a "24-bit mouse". Fully 24-bit mouse-based games also work with standard NES controllers, but often have an issue where the cursor will dart to the top-left corner of the screen; I'm unsure what causes this, though it's an issue with the educational bootlegs in general rather than these extracts. Additionally, many ROMs have a second program (or more) built into them; in some cases I was able to separate both games from the file, while in others I could not. Some games also had to be physically decoded to run as separate extracts.

There are around 175 ROMs here total, including variations. These are mostly English and Spanish-language programs, with a handful of Russian ones; Chinese programs are much more difficult to rip (mainly as they use ~224k of data just for the font), though I did rip a few for testing. As a side note, I retained all documentation for this process, but I didn't include it here (as it's kind of a giant mess...); I can provide it if that's something people want.

forgotusername

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 06:34:16 PM »
As further torture a bonus, here is a set of NROM conversions of most of the Action 52 games. Additionally, I have a custom sprite hack of sorts here that requires a bit of explanation.

A couple attempts of Action 52 rips have been done before; though generally, they run on the native Action 52 "mapper 228", due to each game using one extra sprite bank for text screens (menus, score counters, etc). As with the aforementioned educational computer programs, Action 52 often combines two or three games into one file; however, the Action 52 code is quite well documented by this point, so decoding every game was trivial. However, due to how resourceful the Action 52 code is - with enough hacking - 46 of the 52 games can run as standard mapper 0 files, without the need for the extra sprite bank. Absolutely no visible sprites have been removed in these conversions; with the sole exception of the copyright notice on Ooze, which was removed for space. I also ripped a "prototype" copy of French Baker, and a modified ROM of Ooze starting on an unused "Level 8".

Now comes the more intriguing part. In 2011, a crappy little reproduction cart called "Cheetahmen: The Creation" was released. This literally $200 USD cartridge is a badly cut-up copy of an otherwise-undumped Action 52 prototype build, which featured a different game at slot #52. However, half of this ROM is some other scrapped Action 52 game, which is not accessible through the Cheetahmen: The Creation cart whatsoever. Of course, since it is from that overpriced abomination, the graphic data for this unused game is not present; though you can get a general idea of how the game plays with some junk data in its place.

I previously released the unaltered, unused game ROM on The Cutting Room Floor, though I have also mirrored it here. In addition, I have created a simple hack called "Here & Hare" with custom graphics; which almost certainly looks nothing like the game was supposed to, though it makes it much more playable.

Y2K05

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2023, 08:37:56 PM »
Excellent work again, thank you!

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2023, 09:25:49 AM »
Recently, I did a large study on "educational computer" Famiclones. As part of this research, I ripped many ROMs from various educational computer systems and cartridges.
(...)
"xue si dian nao (dr. pc jr., unknown input).nes" needs the PS/2 keyboard that the Doctor PC Junior takes. If you want to run it in its native environment, place the attached DRPCJR.BIN into the BIOS subfolder of your NintendulatorNRS folder. Run any normal NROM game, like Super Mario Bros., in NintendulatorNRS, then select Game->Machine Type->Bung->Doctor PC Jr. (*) At the Doctor PC Junior boot screen, insert the attached GAMES.IMA 1.44M disk image via "File->Load 3.5" disk...". Select file TTOK for the typing tutor. Set Scroll Lock so that all keyboard keys register instead of being interpreted as emulator control keys. You will also find the native form of the FC7005 "cartridge".

(*) This treatment as a "plug-through device" may seem awkward but is technically correct, since the Doctor PC Jr. has a cartridge slot, and its BIOS sits between the cartridge slot and the CPU. It only seems awkward because while NintendulatorNRS must have something in its "cartridge slot", a real Doctor PC Jr. will run its BIOS with an empty cartridge slot.

forgotusername

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2023, 12:39:06 PM »
I see the files on the disk are just custom-headered NES ROMs... the old "Development Page" states that the other programs can't be run on standard NES architecture; is that truly the case, or the result of less information on the NES hardware existing circa 2001? Other disc images seem to use proper computer-like data (with .bin/.dat/.cmd files and whatnot), I assume those can't be compiled into a .nes file?

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2023, 01:06:21 PM »
There are three execution environments on the Doctor PC Jr.:
  • BIOS only: run a "custom-headered NES ROM" from a floppy disk.
  • SM-DOS: boot the SM-DOS system disk and run software from DOS-like files.
  • MCC-DOS: boot the SM-DOS system disk, then run a Terminate-and-stay-resident program that loads the 256 KiB Hanzi font into CHR RAM from the system disk.
Each piece of software runs in one of the three environments. TTOK runs as BIOS-only, as do pirated commercial NES games. Most Chinese software runs under MCC-DOS, while the BASIC interpreter only needs SM-DOS.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 01:08:04 PM by NewRisingSun »

forgotusername

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2024, 04:04:30 PM »
Here is an attempt at ripping and decoding the games from the "Digital EZ-LG" 15-in-1. The games are encrypted in a somewhat simple way: each game requires bytes #800C-800D to be replaced with the bytes located at #8008-8009. Some of these extracts (particularly Space War) have issues, though the majority of them work fine.

As a side note, there is notable text data in four of the games' code: Perfect Puzzle, Quick Brain, Car Racing, and Cricket. Perfect Puzzle and Quick Brain both begin with what seems to be text for a 3-in-1 menu, with the third game being Car Racing. However, the Car Racing code instead begins with "(C)RAMA..RACE!!!", with Cricket similarly reading "(C)RAMA.CRICKET". Presumably, Rama is the name of the games' developers; they are likely also the creators of two other NES bootlegs, BugTris and Block Puzzle (or perhaps Rama is a 2000s offshoot of that developer).

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2024, 03:44:52 PM »
Ha! Your Action 52 conversions reminded me of my conversions (some) that I made a long time ago, I attached my collection under the post. Also I had Ninja Assault hack with fixed stage 4.
I'm also pleased with the fact that FDS conversions are still being done. By the way, Boogerman II previously ported Sharpnull. And in games from Ei-Ho Yang, anti-piracy protection is sewn in (I hope you've removed it all, the integrity of the CHR ROM is also checked there).

forgotusername

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2024, 01:06:12 AM »
I didn't touch much of anything in the "CoolX" mapper hacks in terms of coding, but I would assume anti-piracy measures were disabled. The github page had what seemed to be full decompilations of the ROMs (albeit still in PRG/CHR-like formats, not outright source code); which I unfortunately didn't back up.

I see in your "Streemerz" rip that there's a visible health bar; is that an unused function, or was it custom coded? (I assume the heart graphics themselves are new)

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2024, 08:45:47 AM »
I didn't touch much of anything in the "CoolX" mapper hacks in terms of coding, but I would assume anti-piracy measures were disabled. The github page had what seemed to be full decompilations of the ROMs (albeit still in PRG/CHR-like formats, not outright source code); which I unfortunately didn't back up.

I see in your "Streemerz" rip that there's a visible health bar; is that an unused function, or was it custom coded? (I assume the heart graphics themselves are new)
Are you talking about a complete decompilation of all Action 52 games? Is there a link?
Maybe there are still saves on the web archive?
With regard to Streemerz, all games were supposed to have a life bar and a score counter, since the games were made on the principle of a conveyor and have an identical design. But in a number of games, some functions are disabled, and in some cases it was possible to turn platformers into flying games like Micro Mike (I did that once with Haunted Hills) or vice versa. The heart icon is taken from the first Chip and Dale.