Author Topic: Soul Edge VS Samurai Spirits for SNES, MD  (Read 6953 times)

Azathoth

• View Profile
Soul Edge VS Samurai Spirits for SNES, MD
« on: July 06, 2011, 03:25:21 PM »
Edit...link to both games in dumps section of the forum

Hi guys;

Arrived today was Soul Edge VS Samurai Spirits for both SNES and Mega Drive. Since there's already some discussion about the Sega port (which basically boils down to one post on this forum out of all the internets) I figure I'd touch on the Super Nintendo port.

This is actually the rumored Samurai Spirits II port. Other than the title screen, it's a pretty straight up port of SSII for MD with an additional Soul Blade character added in (Seung Nina (sp?) and Cham Cham removed. Most of the music is either already used in unlicensed games or ported from the MD version, nothing ripped straight out of Final Fight 2 like KoF 2000 did. All the sound effects are ripped straight from Street Fighter II, just like X-Men VS Street Fighter, Street Fighter Alpha, and King of Fighters 2000. I also noticed the title screen song used by XMvsSF was in here as a regular background song.

The game uses the same jerky fighting engine that's been used in all the SNES fighters. My cart had an incredibly elementary done label from Dream House Games. And the title screen lists...... DVS Electronics.

I'll be dumping this as soon as I get a chance. I'll try and post some screenshots and stuff until then. If y'all need any more information about it just let me know.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:08:57 AM by Azathoth »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 05:27:35 PM »
ooh cool. whats the Mega Drive version like? i've seen a few screenshots but thats about it.

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 07:10:26 PM »
The good news is that I've successfully dumped both, the bad news is that both have to be cracked before they work. The SNES one has a protection scheme similar to all the other DVS titles, or at least the error messages are the same. Mega Drive version is strange, it almost acts like the cart shifts country protection schemes (amongst other odd things) soon after booting up.

The Mega Drive one is fairly interesting. The game engine is a slight bit tighter than Samurai Spirits II, but not by much, it does not play as good as KoF '98 or anything made after. No new sprites, they're all taken from either SSII or Soul Blade. The backgrounds are actually really nice, they're either original or ripped from sources I can't identify, one or two of them have some minimal animation. The presentation is actually probably one of the best looking of all the unlicensed fighters for Mega Drive / Genesis, too bad the gameplay doesn't match.

About the proper name, here's the odd thing. The screenshot for the MD version title screen is on that post Barver made a while back, but my game cart has the title as "Samurai Shodown VS Soul Edge", mainly because the majority of the label is taken from Samurai Shodown Anthology for PS2/PSP/Wii. The SNES cart has "Samurai Shodown VS Soul Blade", yet the actual titlescreen is "Soul Edge VS Samurai" with no reference to Final Samurai V or anything like the Sega version has.

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 07:34:17 PM »
Cartridge pictures would be cool :D I didn't think the Samurai Shodown II port for SNES would turn up anytime soon. Makes you wonder now if there still is a Soul Edge Vs. Samurai Spirits port out there.

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 08:08:36 PM »
Barver
Jul 6 2011, 07:34:17 PM
I didn't think the Samurai Shodown II port for SNES would turn up anytime soon. Makes you wonder now if there still is a Soul Edge Vs. Samurai Spirits port out there.[/quote]After playing it, I'd say that someone just saw this and assumed it was Samurai Spirits II. Unless you saw the cart or title screen you wouldn't know any different, especially since the Mega Drive port of SSII already had one character from Soul Edge in it.

I think this also furthers the connection between the DVS produced fighters and the two without an apparent DVS connection (SFEX & XMvsSF).

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 02:21:38 AM »
Pics.

2nd pic with the 16 characters on the select screen is from the Genesis version. It came in a Tec Toy shell?

Attachments:

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 04:16:16 AM »
Expert artwork on that titlescreen :D

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 07:26:25 AM »
Funny how they call it Soul Blade on the cart and Soul Edge in the actual game. (Well, it might be Soul Enge with the typo covered up by the VS text)

Denymetanol

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 07:43:42 PM »
Maybe a future PS4 xbox720 game from SNK-Playmore and Namco? ;-P

Thanks for share these "creatures" ;-)

pichichi010

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 06:54:26 PM »
I think dforce3000 already cracked both roms
Sould blade and samurai vs idkwho.

I need assistance dumping dbz fb snes. Azarhoth if i ship it to you can you dump it? I can pay for returning shipping?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 07:11:51 PM by pichichi010 »

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 01:23:17 AM »
D4S cracked the dump I sent him after I found out it had a copy protection routine on the cart. The Mega Drive version was cracked by Eke-Eke, and he updated his versions of Gens to support both the patched and unpatched versions. You can find both of them in the ROM dumps section of the forum.

Sure, I'd be glad to help with DB:FB, just send me a PM or text message. You can probably rest assured it will have a copy protection routine on it that will need to be patched.