Author Topic: Ei-How Yang, Shin-Shin etc etc  (Read 3275 times)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Ei-How Yang, Shin-Shin etc etc
« on: August 20, 2010, 12:43:30 AM »
im just trying to make some sense of the whole EHY/Shin-Shin/etc business, because. hell.

heres what I kinda think I know, feel free to correct me if im wrong:
  • Ei-How Yang (ex-Sachen, but mainly a Gameboy programmer there) programmed Contra Spirits, Toy Story, Super Donkey Kong, Pocahontas, Mickey Mania. this is basically the only named person we know of working for this company/companies.
  • Someone else (or multiple people) programmed SDK2, EWJ2, Chu Da D, Panda Prince, Bao Qing Tian, The Dragon.
  • IMO the graphics person is the same across *at least* Mickey Mania 7, SDK2, EWJ2, Panda Prince based on the way the graphics are ripped. Bao Qing Tian and The Dragon could be the same person too, because leftovers from the Dragon appear in both BQT and Panda Prince. I'm unsure about EHY's other games and Chu Da D.
  • All of these games share fonts all over the damn place. Could point to a common graphics artist for all of them.
  • Chu Da D and The Dragon share music and sound effects. Chu Da D especially sounds just like a Sachen game, so I'd guess its was an ex-Sachen person. BQT sounds like the same person too, as does Contra Spirits.
  • some other games sound completely different though, like SDK2, Mickey Mania and Toy Story, despite the latter using Contra Spirits' level clear music; my guess would be that the actual musician was different for Toy Story, but EHY himself took the track from Contra.
  • They probably both used the same sound engine though, even if they used it differently.
What I don't know is if all these people were actually working for the same company; EHY might have had his own team, and the other people had their separate team, and occasionally they'd share resources/staff because they were all based around the same part of Taiwan (like Gamtec and Chuanpu) and a bunch of them probably knew each other from working together at Sachen. Or they might have all been working for the same developer, and its only EHY and the other programmer's differing styles that make the games seem so different.

the other problem I have is what this company/team/whatever was actually called (either the one that didn't employ Yang, or the one that employed everyone, depending on which of my theories is true.. unless its neither of course :D). i'd quite like to add them to the wiki but its kinda hard to start a wiki article on something you don't have a name for. I could call it Shin-Shin but i'm 99% sure that's only a publisher/distributor. Same goes for pretty much every other company named in any of these games. The only one I can't account for is Tony Tech, credited in The Dragon. So I guess that could be it.. or it could just be another distributor. I dunno.

and, of course, all that's without even getting started on Sachen's GBC games or Yong (bastard) Yong.
oh yeah, and I have the credits for Bao Qing Tian:
製作人員 Production staff
總監 Director
楊文光 Yang Wenguang
企劃 Planning
楊文光 Yang Wenguang
程式 Program
吳振宏 Wu Zhenhong
美術 Art
王念珍 Wang Nianzhen
劉瑞慈 Liu Ruici
音樂 Music
王樂禮 Wang Yueli
測試 Test
羅政 Luo Zheng
can't guarantee theyre right, I OCRd them from screenshots of SpaceNinja's ending video. and I guess they arent much use without other games to compare them against. but theyre there if anyone wants them.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:49:08 AM by taizou »