Author Topic: Question about PocketNES extracts  (Read 1089 times)

forgotusername

• View Profile
Question about PocketNES extracts
« on: August 15, 2023, 02:33:01 PM »
This is a random thing I've known about for a while, which I've never really found an answer to. On Maxzhou88's website (a former Super Game developer for those unaware), there is a Game Boy Advance 30-in-1 "test" multicart featuring mainly PocketNES conversions. In this multicart is one (1) otherwise-undumped game; a hack of the Famiclone Astrosmash port titled "Defend Homestead". I'm rather intrigued by this hack, mainly as it appears to be quite early compared to the numerous other hacks of the game; making it possibly the "first" hacked Intellivision-NES game.

I have seen in some ROM sets that it is possible to extract and convert PocketNES games back into standard NES roms; however, I cannot find any documentation on how this is done. The games in the 30-in-1 appear to be somewhat compressed or something; as a test, I attempted to separate the Lode Runner PRG from the multicart, and it appears to be ~800 bytes shorter than the actual NES rom (going by the start and end points of the game). Does anyone know how PocketNES games can be extracted like this, and/or how to circumvent the compression? 30-in-1 rom attached.