Author Topic: Successful Sup 400-in-1 complete dump? Runs in EmuVT 1.36  (Read 4265 times)

The_YongGrand

• View Profile
Successful Sup 400-in-1 complete dump? Runs in EmuVT 1.36
« on: January 26, 2023, 10:11:47 AM »
Hello,

I had recently dumped the Sup 400-in-1 handheld ROM from the NOR flash and it runs in the EmuVT 1.36, using the combination of MCP23017s and a Raspberry Pi. The process is pretty slow and it took a whole day to do it. This carrier board is extracted using a ChipQuik and then inserted into a SOP to DIP adapter.

The schematic for the ROM board is obtained from somewhere (see attachments) that has the possibly correct address lines at the A22 and A23. The other schematic for the ROM board has a /WE instead of the A22.

Most of the games run fine except some of them. The ones that don't run well often has empty screen and glitching up. I'm not sure if the dumping process has not been good in between.

Curiously, I examined some parts of the program code through its debugger. I'm not sure where are the LCD initialization routines during the startup. I checked through the VT-03, VT-16, VT-18 and even the VT-168 datasheets for the TFT-specific registers but couldn't find any hint on these.

I'm not sure if this is another version of VT that I've never heard of, or I may be looking at a wrong place. The romdump is attached - maybe the BGC experts can have a look inside? :)

There are also attempts of dumping by some people in another forum too: https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=979648&st=480, however the romdump link is no longer available.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 09:35:50 AM by The_YongGrand »

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
Re: Successful Sup 400-in-1 complete dump? Runs in EmuVT 1.36
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 09:57:46 AM »
The ROM dump is missing the last two bytes (should be 24 F1). Apart from that, set the NES 2.0 mapper number to 270, and specify both 8 KiB of PRG RAM and 8 KiB of CHR RAM to get all games working. We have had a different 400-in-1 ROM dump already that differs in the LCD initialization code and a few other spots.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 10:02:03 AM by NewRisingSun »

The_YongGrand

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 11:12:15 AM »
The ROM dump is missing the last two bytes (should be 24 F1). Apart from that, set the NES 2.0 mapper number to 270, and specify both 8 KiB of PRG RAM and 8 KiB of CHR RAM to get all games working. We have had a different 400-in-1 ROM dump already that differs in the LCD initialization code and a few other spots.

Thanks for the analysis! :D

I have manually added these last two bytes, and the NES 2.0 mapper through the NintendulatorNRS (latest) with the specified PRG and CHR RAM.

(check image in attachment)

However, the game doesn't start (only blank screen) - this dump currently works on EmuVT 1.36 without much problems, except for some of the games mentioned earlier that are glitching up. I'm not sure if there need to add the PRG and CHR ROM KiB as well too - there's an error of "iNES ROM image is shorter than specified in its header!" when I restarted the rom.

Meanwhile, I'm dissecting some parts of the startup code - hunting for the TFT init routines could be impossible here as I don't even know which registers are they writing when they start up. I'm thinking of not trying to hunt these, instead, just keep these startup routines and just modify the program after the startup routines.

The only thing I found out was there's a button scanning routine (that checks from $4016) - when the A and X (?) is pressed together once it's powered on, it brings the user to the "Device Test" menu with the name "Aaronix" at the bottom right of the screen. Else if these buttons aren't pressed, it goes directly to the language select menu (Mandarin or English).

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 11:45:58 AM »
Eh, you need to specify the correct PRG ROM size (16384 KiB). Right now, you are specifying 0 KiB, so nothing is loaded. ;)

Also, console type must be VT02.

The_YongGrand

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 09:31:13 PM »
Eh, you need to specify the correct PRG ROM size (16384 KiB). Right now, you are specifying 0 KiB, so nothing is loaded. ;)

Also, console type must be VT02.

Hi, thanks for the help.

Added this PRG ROM size too - 16384KiB and the VT02 option, however the ROM doesn't load. Still the message "iNES ROM image is shorter than specified in its header!".

I'm not sure what to put on the CHR ROM too - I've searched around the forums and outside and couldn't find a suitable number for this particular ROM.

And if I put 16384KiB onto the CHR ROM, the NintendulatorNRS stopped responding and closed afterwards.

The NintendulatorNRS version is 0.985.

Meanwhile I'm searching around for any sample VT02 games online and see how its NES headers are defined. :D

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 03:53:07 AM »
 ::)

I have attached the properly-headered ROM file.

The_YongGrand

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 09:34:37 AM »
Thanks for the help again! These games that didn't work earlier are working now. :D

In the meantime, I'll try to dissect the startup and the menu some more. Also, to figure out the address decoding too.  :)

lkslodzkzn

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 10:03:41 AM »
Hello, i have problem with opening attached.dump from previous post in emuvt i have only black screen can anyone help or upload working dump file, thanks and regards.

NakamangaHikari

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2023, 02:17:42 AM »
I tested the rom using the NintendulatorNRS emulator and it works fine