Author Topic: New version of Press Start font  (Read 3226 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New version of Press Start font
« on: June 13, 2011, 10:34:34 PM »
For anyone who's at all into old-school video game typography, I've posted an all-new, completely revamped version of the "Press Start" font (the one based on the font from all those old arcade games) on my fonts page.

The main reason I'm bringing this up is for the benefit of the international crowd here. Unlike the earlier version of the font, which just supported Latin-1, this new version of the font includes support for all major Eastern European languages. And yes, this includes Cyrillic.

Feel free to make any critiques here, too-- if any kerning looks off, any characters look just plain wrong, or whatever. I'll gladly incorporate them into the next version.

Edit: Oops, just realized this probably would fit better into the "Big Old Arcade" forum...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:41:25 PM by codeman38 »

PlayerSecelt

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 01:22:54 PM »
Oh, that looks really good! The PressStart font has even got the Croatian "š đ č ć ž" letters!

Ninja-Kun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 01:29:34 PM »
Haven't realized of this topic until now. Thanks Codeman! :)

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 01:39:59 PM »
Forgot to comment on this until now. (I have a habit of doing such a thing, especially on Youtube :P ) I was gonna make a NES-style font myself, but I haven't got a clue how to make Truetype fonts. :\

PlayerSecelt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:57:55 AM »
Oh, I know that there are some programs for making custom TT fonts, Google might help you.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 04:49:46 PM »
I used FontForge to create this and most of my other fonts. It's a program that was originally designed for Linux and definitely feels like it, but there are ways to get it running on Windows and Mac OS as well. (I'm running it in OS X on a MacBook, myself.)

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
I hope so. Being a Windows 7 user, I'd imagine that trying to run a Linux program would be a complete pain in the arse. If anything, probably best to go with one designed for Windows IMO.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 05:00:33 PM by Awesome Panda »