Author Topic: Anyone have the Song/Sound of the Pipa (GS-01) ROM?  (Read 1827 times)

APM

• View Profile
Anyone have the Song/Sound of the Pipa (GS-01) ROM?
« on: November 30, 2021, 09:55:20 PM »
Hello people. I'm posting this in hopes that anyone here has a ROM of Gowin's first published game, Song of the Pipa (or Sound of the Pipa). While I imagine it's as generic and bland as Gowin's other games, I'm not really interested in playing it as much as I am interested in seeing what the hell this game exactly is about. I remember reading that it was dumped months ago, and I faintly remember a link for the ROM being posted on here at the time. However, by the time I found out about it, the link didn't work, and recently, it looks like the link I'm talking about has completely vanished. Furthermore, extensively searching for the ROM on Google with the game's name, filename, and even hashes that I found on another site hasn't turned up any results for the ROM file itself. It's been probably a couple of months since the last time I searched for this game, but I imagine the situation still hasn't changed. That's why I'm turning to this forum and hoping that any visitors here happen to have a copy and don't mind sharing it here. Many thanks in advance. :)

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: Anyone have the Song/Sound of the Pipa (GS-01) ROM?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 10:45:36 PM »
Here's the ROM which I got from one of those MAME archives (they also have magic lamp). To play it use Taizou's hhugboy and turn off using the bootstrap ROM because that makes it not work. Then use the unlicensed compatibility mode for Pokemon Diamond/Jade. The game is pretty similar to Tetris, I wrote up a description of it on the wiki. It's probably the oldest unlicensed gameboy game, though maybe Sachen made one earlier. As far as it being bland, I would say that it is more of just simple than anything. Most unlicensed GB stuff made in the early 90s was not very complex, though a lot of them had their own little charm

APM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 11:00:35 PM »
Here's the ROM which I got from one of those MAME archives (they also have magic lamp). To play it use Taizou's hhugboy and turn off using the bootstrap ROM because that makes it not work. Then use the unlicensed compatibility mode for Pokemon Diamond/Jade. The game is pretty similar to Tetris, I wrote up a description of it on the wiki. It's probably the oldest unlicensed gameboy game, though maybe Sachen made one earlier. As far as it being bland, I would say that it is more of just simple than anything. Most unlicensed GB stuff made in the early 90s was not very complex, though a lot of them had their own little charm

Thank you very much! I'll go try it out for myself for a bit, especially now that I know that it's based on a game that I like lol. Also, didn't even know there was a wiki page for the game, although it looks like it was created within the month of November, so I probably wouldn't have known during the times I tried searching for this game. :P

APM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 11:07:25 PM »
Quick update: Holy hell the music is MUCH worse than I was imagining lol.

Otherwise the graphics looks decent, and the AMind intro is surprisingly good for an unlicensed game. Haven't gotten to gameplay yet, but if I feel like it I might describe it in another post.

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 11:26:45 PM »
Also, I think it is named after this, but I didn't put that on the wiki because I never confirmed that