Author Topic: Pac-man championship NES  (Read 3855 times)

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
Pac-man championship NES
« on: January 06, 2021, 10:34:19 PM »
Has anyone figured out a mapper for Pac-man championship to have the full audio? Or can hack a custom mapper? I was able to get it on a board but does not have the full audio. I know you need a famicom or modded nes for the audio. That i do have but I just think its a nice addition to the pac-man hacks.

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
Re: Pac-man championship NES
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 08:31:49 PM »
Can mapper 5 help with the extra audio?

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 04:18:34 AM »
Assuming you are talking about "Pac-Man: Championship Edition" from the Namco Museum Archives/Namcot Collection, the correct mapper is 19.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 04:32:12 AM by NewRisingSun »

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 12:24:04 AM »
Yes i am talking about the pac-man archives is it as easy as just putting it on a mapper 19? Because i can only get the full music to play on a famicom N8 on the famicom slot of the AVS NES. So is there a way to make a custom mapper or a custom board for the full music to play on real hardware?

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 06:19:17 AM »
Why do you want a custom mapper? The game is written for the Namco 163 ASIC, which has expansion audio. You can only get expansion audio on a 60-pin console, not on a 72 pin console. That is true for any kind of expansion audio. Making a custom mapper won't change that, because the problem is the 72 pin cartridge connector having no direct audio pins into the console, not the mapper.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 06:34:58 AM by NewRisingSun »

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 01:57:54 PM »
Ok i understand now thank you for explaining i was thinking it was the other way around. So my best bet is getting the famicom board that is mapper 19 Namco 163 ASIC. Thanks i am still learning getting these games made :)

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 03:47:02 PM »
Oh, so you are looking for a donor board. Why did you not say so more clearly before. ;)
Because Pac-Man Championship uses battery-backed PRG-RAM for saving high scores, your best choice of games for donor boards are:
  • King of Kings
  • Digital Devil Story II: Megami Tensei
  • Sangokushi: Chuugen no Hasha
  • Sangokushi II: Haou no Tairiku
  • (Juvei Quest)
"Juvei Quest" may be a bad choice for a donor board, because that game never used expansion audio, so the Namco 163 ASIC's audio out may not be connected.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 03:48:59 PM by NewRisingSun »

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 04:15:53 PM »
Awsome man thanks i will hunt these titles down and find out the cheapest and hopefully get pac-man made with full audio.

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 12:52:47 AM »
So i got Sangokushi: Chuugen no Hasha today but the board was a SOROM and there is no 163 chip on the pcb board. Will this still work or do i have to get one of those games that have the 163 chip on the board?

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 07:01:23 AM »
You have the wrong Sangokushi game. There are four licensed Sangokushi games on the Famicom:

Sangokushi (no subtitle) from Koei ->SOROM:

Sangokushi II (no subtitle) from Koei ->EWROM

Sangokushi: Chuugen no Hasha from Namco ->N163:

Sangokushi II: Haou no Tairiku from Namco ->N163:

Neither SOROM nor EWROM cannot be used for N163 expansion audio. Only the last two cartridges are suitable, and of course only in their original non-bootleg versions. Also, be aware that Namco usually uses chip-on-board (i.e. black glob) ROMs.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 08:34:50 AM by NewRisingSun »

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 09:46:42 AM »
Ok thanks do you have a link or pic's of Sangokushi II: Haou no Tairiku pcb board or mapper? So i know what the legit board is supposed to look like. I dont know all the good sites.

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 11:26:36 AM »
Also you think Youkai Douchuuki donor could work? if i add battery save?  http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=1820

NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 11:40:33 AM »
Ok thanks do you have a link or pic's of Sangokushi II: Haou no Tairiku pcb board or mapper? So i know what the legit board is supposed to look like. I dont know all the good sites.
Here. All pics come from NesCartDB, which you seem to have found yourself already? Youkai Douchuuki needs to be added WRAM at $6000-$7FFF in addition to the battery, which I assume to be a difficult modification.

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 11:54:55 AM »
Ok so i am on the right track then thank you man this is hard to get done for a newbie 😁