Author Topic: Games In the Wrong Game Shell  (Read 1885 times)

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Games In the Wrong Game Shell
« on: December 15, 2020, 11:05:14 AM »
Sometimes these old unlicensed games come in the wrong game cartridge shells. Usually they are put in generic grey game shells. One of the few examples of games being misplaced into a different type of shell was Gowin's Stone Age being found in Waixing shells, but that nowadays is just accepted as a proper Waixing release, and not some manufacturing error. Recently on Xianyu (which is a subsection of taobao) I saw a lising for what appears to be the Li Cheng version of Hitek's 仙劍奇緣 in a Gowin shell. Has anyone else here seen games misplaced into Gowin/Vast Fame/Sintax/SKOB shells?

yy小龙虾

• Vast Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Games In the Wrong Game Shell
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 10:40:18 PM »
This is not common. It's likely to occur during production (if it is not done by the seller). I once bought an BBD's GB game Digimon Adventure 6 with a Chinese cover, but the text was in English; Another time I bought a GB KOF 97 in an early Gowin gray shell.

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 11:02:03 PM »
Now that you mention it, I once found a copy of Garou: Mark of the Wolves with a Chinese cover, but it used the English version's title screen Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves. I always assumed it was just a pirate cart, but it seems to have BBD's copy protection, so it probably was just a swapped circuit board

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 11:06:16 PM »
Was there anything interesting about the KOF 97? I remember once finding a cartridge of it with a "GYY Unlock Team" intro, but I don't believe that game ever had any sort of copy protection

yy小龙虾

• Vast Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 11:18:39 PM »
My kof97 cart also shows GYY before entering the game, it may be the original version of bootleg kof97.

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 11:24:19 PM »
I guess that is possible. The thing is that many older ROM files of Gowin's monochrome games also open with the GYY intro, but they definitely did not make those