Author Topic: Hacks  (Read 2699 times)

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hacks
« on: June 17, 2011, 02:15:02 PM »
Ok so, what should we do with pirate hacks? I know hacks of pirates stick with the original game's article (except AVBSGF although that is one hell of a hack) but what should we do with pirates that are hacked off of licensed games? Should they have a whole page to them or what?

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Hacks
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 02:33:31 PM »
There's definitely a few hacks noteworthy enough to stay on there, namely Super Contra II and Super 3D Noah's Ark. The problem is where to put the rest of the games. I suppose you could summarise pirate arcade games in an article, but I can't think of enough stuff to note there.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Hacks
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 03:17:25 PM »
I think if someone can write a decent article about a hack (like, say, if it has a reasonable amount of changes, or some history behind it like 1990 Tank, or it was really popular, or its interesting for some other reason), then it can have one. I don't particularly want this wiki to end up like Wikipedia where perfectly good articles get deleted because someone decides it's not notable enough.

but if it's just a title/main character sprite hack where you can't say much more about it than one sentence and a screenshot, it could probably go in an overview article along with similar hacks. so we could have an article for Twin Eagles hacks (except Sonic 4), one for Inventor hacks, one for those Pokemon "colour" platformers, etc.

Azathoth

• View Profile
Hacks
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 09:56:13 AM »
I don't see a problem in having individual pages for hacks as long as they are "legitimate" pirates; ie released commercially and not a homebrew fan project. While I'm sure there exist hacks that I couldn't say more than a sentence about others may have a much deeper knowledge of the history or work that went into creating them.

Also, there's a lot of hacks that are either undumped or undocumented; I would hate to squelch discussion on them simply because they don't have a wealth of documentation about them.