Author Topic: Conte Enegy (2nd) - Corrupted or just messed up?  (Read 1944 times)

Ninjinister

• View Profile
Conte Enegy (2nd) - Corrupted or just messed up?
« on: September 02, 2020, 01:00:18 AM »
Alright, so recently I started going through the Inventor catalog, and for some reason, when I get to the second Conte Enegy (the Championship Lode Runner hack), I get colors like the attached image. I actually have the ROM from three different places 'cause I'm dumb and kept forgetting I had it, and they all do the same. Every other game I've played of theirs looks "fine", and I've tried 4 different emulators (VirtuaNES, NintendulaterNRS, FCEU, and NESTopia). I also swear I have seen this one (again, specifically the CLR hack) with "normal" colors reflecting the other Conte Enegy game. So is there something wrong with the ROMs or my settings, or is it supposed to look like that?

Blue Erazor

• New Gold K Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Conte Enegy (2nd) - Corrupted or just messed up?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 04:37:02 AM »
My guess is that game is actually a VT01 ROM, designed for a lesser known famiclone hardware with less colours than regular. So it's not wrong, or corrupted, it's literally how it's supposed to look due to Inventor editing the palette for the game to make it fit better on VT01 hardware.
basically some english guy who likes bootlegs and hacks, what you see is what you get.

Ninjinister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 05:29:56 AM »
Wow, really? I'll admit, despite playing bootleg stuff for over 20 years now, I still don't know the inner workings of the hardwareses. That seems like a pretty peculiar task, considering none of the games I've ever played on an NES emulator has been like this before.

It looks like hot garb but at least Conde got a nifty "alternate costume" out of it!

Blue Erazor

• New Gold K Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 05:31:54 AM »
Yeah, Conte here looks like when someone else picks the same character as you in a fighting game ;D 
basically some english guy who likes bootlegs and hacks, what you see is what you get.

Ninjinister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 06:03:17 AM »
Exactly! Thanks for your input.