Pirate Discussion > Hacker Center

Donkey Kong Country 4 hack

(1/2) > >>

Awesome Panda:
Because I was bored and I tend to procrascinate a lot during exams, I figured I might as well see what I can do with the DKC4 ROM. A little bit, from what I've done:

*Changed some of the colour palettes
*Altered some of the music to sound a bit more accurate to the original soundtrack
*Changed the font, because I felt like it
*Removed the "4" from the name because it looked stupid

Not exactly DKC4: VT03 edition, but whatever.

In case you're wondering why I didn't bother editing the text, it's because I can't actually find it in the ROM. It doesn't arrange the letters in ASCII fashion, nor can I find it by looking at the PPU itself. I find this kind of odd, given that (as far as I'm aware) most Hummer games do the former.

Download

codeman38:
The reason you couldn't find the text is because it's RLE-compressed. This despite the fact that there are no strings of more than 2 of the same character, so this makes the text larger. :rolleyes:

Edit: If you're curious, the credits are at 0x2AF6D. 0x21 = "A", 0x22 = "B", etc. 0x02 appears to be the RLE marker.

Awesome Panda:
Well actually looking at the data, I'm pretty sure the reason I couldn't find it is because the alphabet starts at 20 for some crazy reason. Getting over that, it's definitely easier to edit the text than with that Korean 105-in-1.

codeman38:
WindHex32 is wonderful for finding this sort of ASCII-but-off-by-X text, incidentally; it has a "Relative Search" function built just for that. This is how I've managed to find hidden text in a number of bootleg games.

Awesome Panda:
It might, but knowing what 64-bit computers are like I doubt it'd work on my computer.

Oh, apparently it does. :P Mind you, it could be useful for editing the music as well given that the values for those normally lie between 10 and 40 from what I noticed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version