Author Topic: D-CAT8 8bit Game Console  (Read 12582 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
D-CAT8 8bit Game Console
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 11:48:04 PM »
taizou
Aug 16 2010, 11:32:20 PM
56. Snowball - a Sokoban clone with a snowman pushing snowballs into holes. I'd like to say they took some inspiration from Snowman Legend on the Gamate but I know no one apart from me has ever played it. I think its a hack of another Sokoban clone but I can't remember its name - its not Porter, and the background music is Frere Jacques. any ideas?[/quote]"Box World", a.k.a. "Boxes World", by none other than Waixing!

Quote:

58. Pizza Boy - guy on a scooter, you have to pick up pizzas from a shop and deliver them to people around a town with constantly shifting obstacles. i'm sure i've played a better take on this same idea somewhere before.[/quote]Sounds like a hack of the real Famicom game "Pizza Pop".

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
D-CAT8 8bit Game Console
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 12:00:22 AM »
codeman38
Aug 16 2010, 11:48:04 PM
"Box World", a.k.a. "Boxes World", by none other than Waixing![/quote]damn that waixing! they get everywhere.
Quote:

Sounds like a hack of the real Famicom game "Pizza Pop".[/quote]
nah, its a top-down single screen game, nothing as good as Pizza Pop.

actually im gonna do another 10, damnit. this page is half unmodified stuff anyway.
61 - Druaga - unmodified
62 - Mine - some Minesweeper clone. im sure I've seen this before somewhere. the title screen has a checked background very much reminiscent of Dr.Mario with a slider to change the number of mines, the game itself is designed to look like an old windows app, and you get three chances to click on mines without losing the game. no music. ring any bells?
63 - Sea-Maid - another one with decent music! thats pretty much all I can say, because, like Duck, the graphics appear in the wrong place so youre pretty much playing blind, which isnt great. but unlike Duck this isnt a widely available dumped game, so i can't play it anywhere else either. damn you, D-Cat people. I think you have to dive down and collect things anyway. it probably isnt as much fun to play as it is to complain about not being able to play it.
64 - Bugs - a Battle City clone with insects that suffers from the same problem as Sea Maid. grr. It only seems to affect vertically scrolling games, so I guess its something to do with mirroring being set wrong or something?
65 - Hit Mouse - a Whack a Mole type thing. With decent music. I think it might be related to the one on that 2-in-1 Street Dance/Hit Mouse cart, but the version of FCEU I have doesnt emulate the Mouse part so I can't check. ah well.
66 - Dark Castle - Looks like an Atari 2600 game or something, apart from the title screen. I guess it might be a hack of one of those Intellivision ports. You're in this maze, or something, and the walls are constantly shifting, and there are balls bouncing around that make a noise when you touch them. theres a dragon chasing you, but at some indeterminate point you become stronger than the dragon (maybe by touching enough balls :D) and it starts running away from you, then you can come up behind it and defeat it somehow, and it changes colour. except sometimes you die anyway.  i have absolutely no idea whats going on in this game, as you can perhaps tell. edit!i just found out it is actually a hack of a shitty port of an Intellivision game, "Thunder Castle". it looks like the real thing isnt such a bitch to play though.
67 - Bomber Man - unmodified
68 - Galaxian - unmodified
69 - Dig Bug - well im sure you can guess what that was supposed to say. Unmodified again
70 - Battle City - unmodified. whoever put this thing together was totally on a Namco kick around this page.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:10:39 AM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
D-CAT8 8bit Game Console
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 12:16:46 AM »
Ooh, I found a Word doc from the manufacturer (via DealExtreme) showing a rather low-res screenshot for each game. This might help me with identification as well. :-)

http://rapidshare.com/files/278504806/GameList.doc

A few observations:
  • IQ Champion is definitely a hack of something from the Intellivision plug-n-play (which actually runs on NES hardware) - I just can't remember what its title is. ::looks:: Ah, that's it: Buzz Bombers.
  • I don't think I ever have seen Magic Block on anything before; I'd definitely recognize that interface design.
  • Interesting. #49 in this listing is Space Shuttle Exploration, which is another ABAB game-- and I haven't seen anything beyond its title screen even still!
  • #53 in this listing is Aether Cruiser (a Waixing original), not Football. Also weird.
  • OK, Pizzaboy is definitely not Pizza Pop. I think that, too, may be a Waixing original; I swear I've seen it on one of those Waixing famiclones.

Edit: A few more observations, because there were fewer than I expected I'd have:
  • I know I've seen "Mine" before - possibly on one of those educational computer clones?
  • Yep, "Hit Mouse" is exactly the same one on the DDR-knockoff cart.
  • Battle City under its real name? That's unusual.
  • Wow, there are an awful lot of duplicates of legit games with hacked variants. Arabian and Pinball are all there in their regular form too. (Edit: Originally wrote Road Fighter, but I was getting that mixed up with Zippy Race. Doesn't everyone?)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:35:36 AM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
D-CAT8 8bit Game Console
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 12:34:30 AM »
ah, nice catch! i cant believe i missed that, i actually bought it from dealextreme (before they sold out). there are a few other differences between that list and my console - #2 is Space War I instead of Battle Formula, #64 is Mad Xmas instead of (the very appropriately named) Bugs.

codeman38

Interesting. #49 in this listing is Space Shuttle Exploration, which is another ABAB game-- and I haven't seen anything beyond its title screen even still![/quote]well that is interesting! why did they have to replace it with broken Duck D:

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
D-CAT8 8bit Game Console
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 06:35:21 AM »
I'm pretty sure the Minesweeper game is on some educational computer Famiclones.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
D-CAT8 8bit Game Console
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 01:19:14 PM »
Yeah, it probably is. that'd explain the sort of faux-windows look. I can't find the exact one though - there are a few different famicom minesweeper clones out there.

heres the next 20:

71 - Ice Climber - broken ):
72 - Dada - aforementioned popeye hack. the music sort of starts out reasonably but just descends into random bleeping. Doesnt look too bad, anyway. and Popeye is now a bear.
73 - Antarctic Adventure - is awesome, and unmodified
74 - F-1 Race - unmodified
75 - Galaga - okay all of these are unmodified unless I say otherwise
76 - Baseball
77 - Warpman
78 - Super Arabian
79 - Star Force
80 - Road Fighter
81 - Raid on Bungeling (bay)
82 - Ninja Kun - somewhat broken, but still playable
83 - Millipede
84 - Magic (Magic Place) - strange and terrible maze game. with bad music. youre some kind of ... blob, and you collect stars.
85 - High Jump - graphics hack of the High Jump game from Track & Field. just loops after you finish it.your score and the world record never change.
86 - Shooting - hack of Skeet Shooting from Track & Field, same deal as above
87 - 100m Dush - yep. This one seems to be harder than the real thing, maybe to account for the ubiquitous turbo buttons on famiclones?
88 - Gomoku Narabe
89 - Formation Z - glitchy backgrounds, but playable
90 - Field Combat - kinda broken too

only 10 more to go. ooh the excitement. or not.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:21:57 PM by taizou »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
D-CAT8 8bit Game Console
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 01:42:35 PM »
Is Magic a hack of that Convection game you see on some Famiclones? (I know it's a port of an Intellivision game but I can't remember what it's called)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
D-CAT8 8bit Game Console
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 01:57:37 PM »
Might be, actually. it seems quite similar. there are no warps in Magic though, its just one continuous maze.
final 10!
91 - Two Cards - Basic memory game.
92 - Devil World - unmodified
93 - Chack'n Pop - unmodified
94 - The Farmer - youre at the bottom (more of a cowboy than a farmer really), sheep and wolves come from the top, you have to "collect" the sheep and avoid the wolves
95 - Rural Goblin - a sort of whack-a-mole game. except you have no control over where you whack, you just have to press A each time a.. thing pops up. Unless its a flower, then don't.
96 - Devil Rider - crap top-down motorbike game with crap music.
97 - Pinball - unmodified
98 - Five Days - five days, five directions to shoot, five seconds of bad music on a loop
99 - Devildom Doom - maze game, seems to control slightly better than others on here. you just have to shoot stuff, and things. no music.
100 - Cub Adventure - and finally! another one of those "collect all the shit in a maze" games. youre actually a snowman, but one of the enemies looks like a polar bear cub. so its his game really. bloody snowman  trying to steal the limelight. Same music as Rural Goblin and a few others probably.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 06:25:41 PM by taizou »

SpaceNinja

• Administrator
    • View Profile
D-CAT8 8bit Game Console
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 02:49:40 AM »
So many broken games.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
D-CAT8 8bit Game Console
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 02:02:41 AM »
I just found a YouTube recording of the Vangard GameCore, in three parts, for those who want to see at least some of this thing's games in action (alas, the guy got bored before finishing off the whole thing, it seems):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMCfXfLOjDA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxO0sSJDIeQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP2cE-4BU-Q

Edit: And oh gah, I just realized where I've heard the music in Jungle Adventure. It's a really bad remake of a tune from Boogerman! Here, compare for yourself, with this Boogerman speedrun. It sounds very much like it might've even been hacked from Rex Soft's port of Boogerman.

Edit #2: That is so Sachen's sound driver in Magic Block. Wow. I think I've seen that font used in their games too. How have I not seen this game in existence before?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:24:30 AM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
D-CAT8 8bit Game Console
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 07:16:46 AM »
codeman38
Aug 24 2010, 02:02:41 AM
I just found a YouTube recording of the Vangard GameCore, in three parts, for those who want to see at least some of this thing's games in action (alas, the guy got bored before finishing off the whole thing, it seems):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMCfXfLOjDA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxO0sSJDIeQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP2cE-4BU-Q

Edit: And oh gah, I just realized where I've heard the music in Jungle Adventure. It's a really bad remake of a tune from Boogerman! Here, compare for yourself, with this Boogerman speedrun. It sounds very much like it might've even been hacked from Rex Soft's port of Boogerman.

Edit #2: That is so Sachen's sound driver in Magic Block. Wow. I think I've seen that font used in their games too. How have I not seen this game in existence before?[/quote]I think he stopped making videos of this because the GameCore kept breaking, which might explain why some of the games on there don't work. (either that or the multicart runs on an emulator which doesn't fully support it or something) Also, a game that mixes Panda Prince and Boogerman II by Rex Soft? There's a link I wouldn't have thought making. As far as I'm aware, there isn't a Sachen game called Magic Block. There is a Tetris knockoff by them called Magic Cube, but that's a different game which (I think) uses a different sound engine.

spartan2

• View Profile
D-CAT8 8bit Game Console
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 09:44:45 PM »
taizou
Aug 16 2010, 11:32:20 PM
codeman38
Aug 16 2010, 11:24:01 PM
Those cheeky bastards![/quote]i know!

here's another 10 btw. with even more blatant cheekiness at no. 53:

51. Checker - Checkers, or draughts, if you like. this looks like it was intended for something else, maybe an educational clone - theres a "home" option on the title menu that just resets back to the same menu. Seems to work pretty well, but the music sucks.
52. Beast - or "Animal Contest" on the title screen. terrible excuse for a game. you press A to release a random animal from your tent thing, then the computer does the same, and both animals are taken by whoever is judged to have the "better" animal. You both start out with 18, the game ends if one person loses all their animals, but that will never ever happen. (that said, I let it sit there playing itself with the autofire button taped down, just to see what happened - the computer eventually won, but it still progressed to the next stage, which is a different colour. totally worth the wait) And to top it off it has the same shite music as Checker.
53. Football - exactly the same as no.5. for fuck's sake. 99 unique games and one repeat!
54. 1942 - unmodified
55. Sudden Strike - another fairly simple original. not too bad i suppose, compared to some of the crap on these things. you have a tank, you have to shoot trucks in a sort of pseudo-3d landscape, theres a little radar showing you where they are. thats about it.
56. Snowball - a Sokoban clone with a snowman pushing snowballs into holes. I'd like to say they took some inspiration from Snowman Legend on the Gamate but I know no one apart from me has ever played it. I think its a hack of another Sokoban clone but I can't remember its name - its not Porter, and the background music is Frere Jacques. any ideas?
57. Seaport Guarl - yep, Guarl. thats what the title screen says. this one also has kinda decent music, and also involves a tank - its top-down, and you do indeed have to guard a seaport. and another seaport, and another, and etc.
58. Pizza Boy - guy on a scooter, you have to pick up pizzas from a shop and deliver them to people around a town with constantly shifting obstacles. i'm sure i've played a better take on this same idea somewhere before.
59. Bump - no idea. you're a ...rabbit (probably), you're in water, and you have to knock these green things into whirlpools in the corner of the screen. plus it has rotational controls for some reason. i guess it's a bit like pool, if you controlled the ball, and it was a rabbit. yes.
60. Beach Ball - okay this is the last one for now, or i'm going to go insane. you control a bubble (not a beachball), it can absorb smaller objects than itself, and you get bigger if you absorb enough of them. and avoid the spikes! thats it. [/quote]Can you please help me beat stage 15 of the snowball game. ur # 56

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
D-CAT8 8bit Game Console
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 10:14:45 PM »
oh, hell, I have no idea. I don't think I ever played it that far. sorry!

spartan2

• View Profile
D-CAT8 8bit Game Console
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 10:31:56 PM »
ahhh man. . . i have a big bet on if i can beat all these level and i got em all but stage 15 i have spent so much time on it. . . . can you try it????

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
D-CAT8 8bit Game Console
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 11:13:07 PM »
hmm. well I just tried it, without much success.. i'm pretty crap at sokoban though. but if anyone else wants to try it it's on that DreamGear that cah4e3 dumped too.