Author Topic: "Phanton Zona" - a mystery that has haunted me for years  (Read 1460 times)

Zobekka

• View Profile
"Phanton Zona" - a mystery that has haunted me for years
« on: April 30, 2020, 06:51:14 PM »
I used to visit Spain a lot, and there were quite a few markets around. And one thing that stuck with me regarding those markets - they very often had bootleg games. Mostly Game Boy series games, and so they were the usual suspects - Pokémon Chaos Black, etc. One day, a game stood out to me. It had this odd, gender-ambiguous individual making a strange face and the words "PHANTON ZONA" in big letters. I wasn't able to investigate further, because I was but a young'un (this must have been about 2009) and rejected everything but official games anyway.

It seems "Phanton Zona" stuck with me, because I still remember it now. A little bit of research led me to this. Exactly the game cover I had seen that day, but in Japanese (with a Japanese logo instead of the big letters).

It seems like this just might be a simple "unofficial translation" but that's not guaranteed in my view - what I've seen of the game in question suggests it's very Japanese text-heavy. Would a bootleg translator go to that much effort? If so, it's really strange to leave an obvious typo on the cover. Is it even the same game, or does it just use the same cover??

Does anyone know anything about this particular release? Has anyone seen "Phanton Zona" elsewhere?