Author Topic: PS1/2 pirates  (Read 2398 times)

guyzis

PS1/2 pirates
« on: May 01, 2020, 10:16:03 AM »

Why there aren't many Playstation bootlegs out there?

Mainly the PS1 and PS2, mainly because of their popularity here many games good fake pirated versions, but so far no ones made from 0. The only things I know of that are "new" here are those PT-BR redubs which simply take the dialog from something (like a Saint Seiya anime) and putting it onto something related (such as the Saint Seiya game). Or perhaps project Bomba Patch, which was a patch which added real life players and clubs from Brazil circa 200X. Bomba Patch still exists and well, those guys behind these more recent versions aren't the same guys who made it back then.

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: PS1/2 pirates
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 08:38:30 PM »
Here is my thought process:

PS1/PS2 (I am just going to refer to both as PS#) are CD based systems. That means that they have much larger games than cartridges, and are made on a medium that is a lot easier to produce than cartridges. When you consider that it would take much more time to make a PS# bootleg from the ground up than a Famicom/Mega Drive/Gameboy bootleg from the ground up, it makes a lot of sense that PS# bootlegs are pretty uncommon. It also makes sense that there are many pirate games for it, since CDs are much more available to print games on than cartridges, which saves on manufacturing costs

FMecha

• View Profile
Re: PS1/2 pirates
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 09:56:18 AM »
(Long time lurker, just signed up)

Apparently in Russia, pirate originals on the PS1 exist. rgdb.info lists some of them (along with bootlegs of licensed retail games). This video (mainly about NES bootlegs) also deals with it a little bit.

redump.org also mentions that there's undumped games from Japan and Taiwan even. Additionally, there's homebrew games bundled with third-party controllers, namely Photo Hunter and Pokemon Crazy Hit (only disc 2 is dumped).