Author Topic: Twin Eagles Group rom hacks  (Read 19676 times)

Barver

• View Profile
Twin Eagles Group rom hacks
« on: June 08, 2011, 12:07:12 AM »
I finally got into contact with the head of TEG today, Mr. Byte. I asked some basics that have been on my mind. First of all, I knew I'd seen that Sonic sprite for Sonic the Hedgehog 2 somewhere before...

He confirmed it's a hack of Sparkster. He promised to send me the ROM, including all the other games on the site that no rom links are up for. But he's very busy so it's gonna have to wait till Friday(or I'm guessing Thursday my time, not sure). So I'll have them emailed to me then and I'll post them up here so we can finally check them out  :clap:

I asked a bit more about TEG, not too much but I got some interesting info. Most interestingly is that all of TEG's hacks were distributed on cartridge with their consent! In his own words...

Quote:

all the hacked games were burned on eproms and sold in cartridges here in peru to resellers . as i know , in other countries, like paraguay, some people dumped the rom back to pc and so they released it .
basically , some people X from some country Y paid us an ammount Z to do that kind of work. then we sent them the "master" and they produced the cartridges and distributed to many countries , including back to Peru
 another way was that we directly did the job and sold ourself directly to resellers . that was for Futbol Peruano series in Playstation, for example .
[/quote]

He also said that Sonic 2 actually was distributed on cartridge. I'm assuming the same goes for the majority of their hacks. And all this time I thought it was piraters doing it without their knowledge. That explains why there's cartridges of hacks like 101 Dalmations and Bananas en Pijamas which aren't available on their site to download.

Anyway, look forward to Friday(or Thursday =p), I'll be sharing all the ROMs then!

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »
Well, this sucks. I got the ROM set, but out of everything Sonic 2 is missing :( Apparently it was lost long ago and he doesn't think he can find a copy of it.

For what it's worth, here's the set of what was provided:
http://200.48.13.74:8080/mobile/rom/ROMS_CONSOLAS.ZIP

Hoping he can lead me to someone else who might have it. There's also some other things on the site not included, like Man in the iron Mask or those Saint Seiya games. 101 Dalmations doesn't work in ZSNES either, not sure if more games are like that.

Edit: He found an old ILBM file(Amiga format apparently) of the VRAM from Sonic 2. Which means I might be able to recreate the hack. Possibly... :)
I put all the sprites into a Sparkster rom now. First time ever doing SNES palette editing, much more painful than Genesis :x

http://www.2shared.com/file/MQt_0D8C/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_hack_.html

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 01:52:16 AM by Barver »

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 03:57:57 AM »
Ask him if he had a contact with a Taiwanese company to release Sonic 4 please. And if he had any old emails from them or files that he could provide.

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 04:23:10 AM »
I can ask, but it's doubtful since I've yet to ever see a single SNES pirate original or hack come from Taiwan, unless generic pirates/multis count. Going by what he said it's most likely he sold them to distributors in Peru and they found their way across the world from there.

Also, here's some shots for anyone curious but can't be arsed to download the rom =p

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 04:32:19 AM by Barver »

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 06:13:49 AM »
Why wouldn't they be? =p

You might want to read what I wrote just a couple posts up. I even provided a ROM link. I even said the shots are for people who can't be arsed to DL the rom  :lol:  Wish I could find an original cartridge though, since it might have a titlescreen or more. Plus I noticed some animations aren't done perfectly, like when you're hanging Sonic's shoes don't display properly. Perhaps there was a further version that got onto cart.

Besides Sonic, anyone tried Sextris?  :whistle:  I actually can't figure out what the heck is going on, I barely get three rows down before the level says I finished and then it quickly flashes a nudie pic. wtf :P
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 06:29:30 AM by Barver »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 12:06:38 PM »
Barver
Jun 11 2011, 04:23:10 AM
I can ask, but it's doubtful since I've yet to ever see a single SNES pirate original or hack come from Taiwan, unless generic pirates/multis count. Going by what he said it's most likely he sold them to distributors in Peru and they found their way across the world from there.[/quote]I'm still curious about the apparently Taiwanese-developed games from "DVS Electronics" that have only surfaced in American-style SNES carts-- e.g., the two Pokemon platformers, KOF 2000, etc. How has nobody found a Super Famicom cart for any of these yet?

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 12:34:57 PM »
codeman38
Jun 11 2011, 12:06:38 PM
I'm still curious about the apparently Taiwanese-developed games from "DVS Electronics" that have only surfaced in American-style SNES carts-- e.g., the two Pokemon platformers, KOF 2000, etc. How has nobody found a Super Famicom cart for any of these yet?[/quote]I'm likely wrong on this, but I'm guessing that those games were only released in places where the American SNES was common. There might be Super Famicom carts of them, but I doubt it.

Mind you, from what I've noticed SNES pirates in general are more common in the Americas than anywhere else. The only SFC/PAL SNES pirates I've seen are a few multicarts, Hong Kong '97 (if that counts) and a PAL release of Earthbound.

Edit: Apparently, I haven't been paying attention because one of the Sonic the Hedeghog carts is designed for either a Super Famicom or PAL SNES. I'm guessing the latter, seeing as the box says it's for the SNES.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 01:17:49 PM by Awesome Panda »

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 03:31:54 PM »
I feel stupid for not reading your whole message :d

Well that's very cool you recreated the ROM.

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 07:40:10 PM »
I think all SNES pirates are usually American carts because that's what South America used. The games were likely developed in Taiwan, but they sold distributed them to South America since they saw it as a more viable market that would buy them or something. That's always been my guess.

I'll definitely ask him when he's online again though, he's yet to even see I put Sonic 2 back together :D

ThunderBlastMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 09:43:11 PM »
I look foward to finding the cartridge. good job Barver contacting TEG. please let us know if you find a cartridge scan or picture and i think this is the sequel to the sonic speedy gonzales hack. and if anyone wants to see a video about this hack it s over here.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfLK_pWeR34
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 09:56:54 PM by ThunderBlastMan »

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »
Yes, it can be assumed it's the sequel to the Speedy hack =p They also called it Sonic the Hedgehog 2, which shows they didn't consider the Speedy hack as Sonic 4 like the people I guess they "sold" the game to decided to name it.

I've been wanting to make a video myself but damned if I can figure out how to get ZSNES to just do it.

ThunderBlastMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 10:33:09 PM »
Barver
Jun 11 2011, 10:05:33 PM
I've been wanting to make a video myself but damned if I can figure out how to get ZSNES to just do it.[/quote]I use Hypercam 2 and the same emulator as you. does it lag. Because in my video the sound is a little off in a later point of the video but anyway it is a good resource for me.
Also do you think there might be a title screen or did he just give you sprites. The only way to find the original version is by cartridge which might be hard to find due to how they were only provided in peru.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 02:49:33 PM by ThunderBlastMan »

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 08:00:27 PM »
I guess you didn't read all my posts since I said i wonder myself if there is a titlescreen =p I have no idea, Mr.Byte himself doesn't remember either since it's been so long.

ThunderBlastMan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 05:12:21 PM »
But do you think it is possible another member may have it. i emailed them in march but i emailed on my forgotten email address so i hope i hear from mr byte or someone else who may have a clue. Also do you have a sprite sheet of the sonic sprites? can you give them to me.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 05:13:41 PM by ThunderBlastMan »

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »
I have the sprite sheet and was going to share it, but am waiting for Mr.Byte to come on again to ask to make sure it's OK. :) Haven't seen him sign onto MSN again ever since he gave me those sprites.

He told me he already contacted other old members of the team and they lost the ROM the to the game.