Author Topic: Request: GBS ripping for VFame music  (Read 3186 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Request: GBS ripping for VFame music
« on: June 04, 2011, 11:19:55 PM »
Anyone here have any experience at all with GBS ripping, or at least any pointers on how to learn it? I'd really love to see a good GBS collection of Vast Fame's music, because... well, it rules. :) Right now the only GBS rips that exist for their games are for Soul Falchion and both versions of Rockman DX3, which doesn't even begin to cover the dumped subset of their games, much less the ones that are copy-protected and might still have a salvageable sound engine.

The last time I tried finding the sound engine in a GB game using a debugger, I got completely in over my head. And this was in a game with a sound test. I imagine it's probably even worse when there isn't one.

I'm guessing the fact that all of their games use the sound engine from Rockman World 5 is probably helpful in that respect somehow, for a start...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:20:57 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 04:34:10 AM »
I'd say your best bet is to ask Gil Galad, seeing as he has plenty of experience with ripping music from games. I could probably do NSF rips with a bit of practice, but I have next to no experience of hacking Game Boy games, and I imagine that the compression that GB games have wouldn't help much.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 11:26:35 AM »
I just posted on Gil Galad's forum-- that way, anyone there with experience in GB stuff might be able to help.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 11:43:39 AM »
Well I was just looking at a manual for GBS ripping. As far as I can tell, the hard part is actually trying to find the data. Naturally, this is more difficult for Game Boy Color titles due to their size, and given that (as far as I can tell) the bits of code from page 0 associated with the music are scattered across the beginning of the ROM, I'll probably never manage it. Might be possible to include all of it out of laziness/lack of skill, but I'm not entirely sure on that.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 12:51:36 PM »
It's possible to leave all of page 0 in, as far as I understand (in fact, there are some rips where that had to be done because the code was so scattered)-- it's just not recommended whenever it's possible to strip anything out.