Author Topic: Over-dumps  (Read 206 times)

瓜瓜龍

• View Profile
Over-dumps
« on: March 16, 2020, 09:30:34 PM »
I was going through my games and noticed I have a copy of the Chinese Pokemon Jade Telefang hack. I couldn't seem to get my BennVenn device to get the ROM size right, so I went ahead and made an over-dump of the game. I'll attach an IPS patch for it. Use Lunar IPS to patch it over the original version of Telefang Speed.

PS: Does anyone here know any good places to learn about cracking the copy protection of unlicensed games?

Edit: Use the Diamond/Jade Unlicensed Compatibility Mode on hhugboy to run this.

All credit for making these ROMs work on emulators goes to people who figured out how to get around these games copy protection in the first place (like Taizou). I do not know much about how Gameboy ROMs work and really just put games in dumping machines and hope they work.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 01:13:30 PM by 瓜瓜龍 »

瓜瓜龍

• View Profile
Re: Over-dumps
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 05:09:56 PM »
I went ahead and tried some overdumps on some of my other games and got Sintax's Pokemon Emerald ROM to work. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I am testing these ROMs with Taizou's hhugboy. These probably won't work on most emulators, but they should run on that one (provided you are using the right unlicensed compatibility mode)

瓜瓜龍

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 05:55:42 PM »
And here is an overdump of the orgiginal KOF R2 (I am pretty sure the only ROMs for this are the ones that say "King of Fighters 2003")

Use BBD mode on hhugboy

瓜瓜龍

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 06:27:08 PM »
Here's a weird one. SKOB's Dragonball Final Bout. It only kinda works. It crashes if you try to fight, and you need to load a save state to even get the games to start. I am going to go ahead and release this, but I'd advise against spreading it due to its shortcomings

Load it up on hhugboy, and then load the save state file that I'll include on this post (click on File and then Directories while in hhugboy to see where to put the save state file)

Edit: I managed to get a save state for character select which will be final bout.st0, but the background on the stages does not work

Another Edit: You can see the background on the stages if you go into video and turn off "WIN". Unfortunately you will not be able to see your health and the time limit
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:42:49 AM by 瓜瓜龍 »

guyzis

• Shenzhen Nanjing fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Bootleg Games Chat
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 11:06:30 PM »
WOAH! Congratulations! I wasn't expecting GBC final bout. Gotta remove the undumped tag from the wiki!
Sorry for bad english, it's not my mother language!

瓜瓜龍

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 12:42:36 AM »
Thanks. It was pretty fortunate that Final Bout was built on the KOF R2 engine since that meant that it was compatible with KOF R2's save states in some situations. After messing around a bit more with save states, and observing the controls of the game, I have come to the conclusion that the KOF R2 engine is probably built on a modified version of Takara's Beast Wars game for the Gameboy Color. They both have a power meter which is charged by holding A and B, and if you load a Beast Wars save state for when the game is at its title screen on Final Bout, the title screen keeps some of its function. You can also use a Beast Wars save state from the character select menu to start a match in Final Bout. A couple of games on hhug seem to be using a different version of this. "Dragon Ball Z 3 2002 Fighting" and "Quan Ba Tian Xia" both give screens telling the player that they need a Gameboy Color to play the game. Also, the power meter in those games does not charge if you hold A and B.