Author Topic: Dongda & Batong keyboard clones  (Read 2183 times)

MLX

• View Profile
Dongda & Batong keyboard clones
« on: January 09, 2020, 05:11:06 PM »
Today it just struck me that the Batong BT-986 II has the same termination number as the Pyramid PEC-586 from Dongda Electronics. Digging further reminded me that that there exists a Batong BT-686 which has not been confirmed so far to be Famicom compatible. The final word is that it actually is, the Famicom slot is hidden in the right slot, at the very front of this space so it's usually not visible in photos. This region also houses two small cartridges. The first attached photo shows the compartment housing the included software cartridges. These are strikingly similar to the ones found in the Dong Da Pyramid PEC-9388 (Sonic REC-9388 in Russia). The second attachement presents two Chinese PEC-9388 cartridges. The shape matches for the most part but the cover area seems smaller, it may or may not have been moulded using a different die. But the ID matches and the asymmetrical design is quite unique on its own to suggest there may have been something going on with these two companies.

This video shows two Batong-Sunsonic consoles. The first, whose exact model cannot be identified, has the two extra slots and a floppy disk drive. The second, identical to the first on a first glance, lacks the drive and the extra slots. The plastic shell used is the same so they covered it with some soft plastic bearing the brand and model number - Sunsonic 686.

I couldn't find many others *86 consoles but the JT-486 exists as well (the Chinese PEC-586 is also shown in this tweet).

(Chinese names of both companies: Batong - 八通, Dongda - 深圳东达电器有限公司研制)

The Sunsonic PEC-686 photo is courtesy of prince tomato, the PEC-9388 cartridges photo is from MO5.com. The last one shows the internal software.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 05:31:09 PM by MLX »

hallyvorc

• View Profile
Re: Dongda & Batong keyboard clones
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 05:58:36 PM »
I think other *86 consoles are not so hard to find. Since Subor released SB-286/386, such kind of naming had become fashionable in China mainland because ignorant mass could easily confuse them with Intel's 286/386/486 CPUs.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 06:01:29 PM by hallyvorc »

MLX

• View Profile
Re: Dongda & Batong keyboard clones
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 06:06:38 PM »
Thanks! I never look at the Chinese mainland market so I often misses those!
I find it amusing, there are many companies involved but no overlapping numbers so far?!, oh I just saw SB-486… Nevermind. Still curious on the Batong internal software that may be related to Dongda however.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 06:08:20 PM by MLX »