Pirate Discussion > Super Famicom/SNES

SNES in bootleg-y territories

(1/2) > >>

Chonk-Man:
one thing that I would like to know (witch might be stupid in the long run)
was the SNES/SFC released in places like Taiwan and Russia or any other places were pirate games are commonly made?

I know this might be a really stupid question.

guyzis:
Woa, new avatar! I googled it up and nah, it wasn't. If the games were produced there, must've been 'cuz of 'sum fake SNES, like the Dendy.

Chonk-Man:
Ah, that makes sense
I have been searching for something like that but i can't find one
if there is it might not have been documented

(also my avatar is from "Super Bros. 8")

guyzis:
Makes sense. And yeah, i already know where your avatar's from. I googled up "In what countries was the SNES released?" and found it.

KingPepe:
Officially, the SNES did officially get released in Russia (by Steepler Ltd.), South Korea (by Hyundai) and Brazil (by Playtonic).

Taiwan and the rest of South America must've gotten the SNES/SFC albeit unofficially, as SNES bootleg games and hacks were developed and even released in those areas. Taiwanese clones of the SNES did exist pre-2001 but they seem to be really rare. (I'm aware there was a Micro Genius SNES clone.) The biggest issue might've been the CIC was in both the SFC and the SNES and it took until around I believe 1996 or 1997 to even clone it. (As SNES bootlegs seem to have emerged during this time. However, I could be very wrong on this.) On top of this, the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis was much easier to clone earlier on so it was the go-to 16-bit console of choice. Even by the time the SNES could be cloned, the market for SMD/Genesis games in those areas was already falling out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version