Author Topic: Unlicensed Nightmare Fuel  (Read 5884 times)

Ray of Lightning

• View Profile
Unlicensed Nightmare Fuel
« on: August 30, 2012, 03:51:05 AM »
The idea is simple enough. What with all the bad graphics and ear-splitting music, something out there in the Unlicensed World must've given you the creeps, at the very least.

For me, it's the Game Over screen in Aladdin 2, made by my arch-enemy Waixing before they became Waixing, this steaming turd, nooo, steaming melting turd of a game is a prime example of badly redrawn graphics and maddening beepy music. But when this Game Over screen came up, it was like a punch to the gut -- the soul gut. It was unexpected and kept me still for a few moments, it was...troubling and had staying power.  O_o

I named him Lord JaFuq!   :yay:

So what about you? What absolutely disturbs you in the wonderful world of unlicensed gaming?

Attachments:

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 06:07:11 AM »
I'd have to agree with you on that game over screen. Mind you, the whole game looks as though it was created by someone who played through the game once and tried to recreate it from memory.

The Lion King 5 is worse though. :unsure:

Ray of Lightning

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 12:33:59 PM »
Awesome Panda
Aug 30 2012, 06:07:11 AM
I'd have to agree with you on that game over screen. Mind you, the whole game looks as though it was created by someone who played through the game once and tried to recreate it from memory.

The Lion King 5 is worse though. :unsure:[/quote]This is very, VERY true. Simba suicide... *shudders*

I'd post a picture but...well, there's a limit and some people here might not want their childhoods destroyed in an instant. x3

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 01:44:39 AM »
The Game Over ambulance in Fighting Hero (NES). When I first saw it, I got a headache after that. Btw I consider that a bad end because I'm crazy as hell. :P

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 09:05:47 AM »
For me, it's the intro and accompanying music in Waixing's Bio Hazard.  That, and the mine level theme from DKC4; that sound engine isn't the best for upbeat music, but for mellow/eerie music it works really well (I'm not even being sarcastic.)

Rocman X

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 11:55:16 AM »
Hi, there. I'm Rocman X, and I'm new. Why am I called that and have a Rocman X avatar and signature? Because I am Rocman XZ!
That's my favorite pirated game by any developer.  :thumb:
What gave me nightmares was pretty much all of Crazybus's music. It's like, drbxkjsysiolv;zebguiovyps[ps'e4by\a[0ieg,pb70.  I also
never get to that horrific Game Over screen that you posted in Aladdin II, as I'm always able to get enough gems to buy new lives.
The Game Over Screen shouldn't say "Game Over", it should say "Give up, street rat!"
Did I say Rockman XZ? That was a typo. I meant Rocman X.
I actually think Happy Biqi by Waixing is okay, and seriously better than Shin-Shin's version of Earthworm Jim 2, but worse than Super Game's version, aside from the missing end levels.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:49:21 PM by Rocman X »

NintariousFamicreep

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 03:24:30 PM »
The Game Over screen from Felix the Cat is horrid.

Mitchykins

• View Profile
Re: Unlicensed Nightmare Fuel
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 12:37:32 AM »
Kinda hate to bump an ancient thread, but I was discussing something similar on discord about the the spookiness scariness of Waixing and Mars games, there's just something about their craft that has the creeps. Just about the majority of their games have pretty bad music that has stuck in my head and kept me up the last few nights, and I could go on forever about them, but I think I'd be better off just listing some select examples.
Super Contra 7 is definitely known for it's pretty bad music, but there's just something scary about all the boss music in that game, especially the weird carousal robot boss's music, all the boss music definitely has that old sci-fi horror movie vibe to it which is a vibrant contrast to Contra's usual rather upbeat rock tunes. Sci-fi horror soundtrack arranged through NES's soundchip is definitely haunting and unnerving, in fact I'd probably have to admit many of the boss designs and even some of the jagged animations give me the creeps.
Pokemon Gold for NES also generally has some pretty creepy tunes, the title track, while based off an old piano composition; just sounds haunting and cursed, even if it's not really intended to be creepy. Then of course there's the battle theme which feels more in place in a horror game than a pokemon game.
Then of course is Darkseed, the original game is spooky enough and gave me nightmares a good decade ago when I discovered it on youtube, but the NES bootleg definitely has it's share of scariness to it, there's the one song in the game that definitely gives a creepy and mysterious vibe, and then of course there's the creepiness of the graphics and their attempt to recapture the source material, looking creepy at the same time.

I could probably go on about more things in other Waixing/Mars/pre-Waixing games that give me the creeps like badly digitized sprites, uncannily creepy animations, etc, but I'd probably end up repeating myself quite a bit, and many might just sound lame.

guyzis

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 06:02:45 PM »
It's been 2 years since the JY Company logo gives me the creeps, eugh.

jo19sh92

• I ♥ Cats
    • View Profile
    • Procatinator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 12:22:23 AM »
The idea is simple enough. What with all the bad graphics and ear-splitting music, something out there in the Unlicensed World must've given you the creeps, at the very least.

For me, it's the Game Over screen in Aladdin 2, made by my arch-enemy Waixing before they became Waixing, this steaming turd, nooo, steaming melting turd of a game is a prime example of badly redrawn graphics and maddening beepy music. But when this Game Over screen came up, it was like a punch to the gut -- the soul gut. It was unexpected and kept me still for a few moments, it was...troubling and had staying power.  O_o

I named him Lord JaFuq!   :yay:

So what about you? What absolutely disturbs you in the wonderful world of unlicensed gaming?

Attachments:

I can honestly say, when I first played one of the Lion King bootlegs, the ending screen of Simba hanging himself unnerved me for a decent while.
Cats are the only thing I care about more than myself.

guyzis

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 03:36:56 PM »
Do you want something creepy? Just look at the horrible imagery of the intro of Terrifying 9/11 on gbc. Google it up.