Author Topic: Gun-Force  (Read 8335 times)

iniche

• View Profile
Gun-Force
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:05:06 PM »
Here's a strange Contra clone available on a 16 bit pirated game system. it the system Super Game 7-in-1. It's a controller, looks like Xbox. The company is Timetop, which I suspect is the same Timetop that made the line of unlicensed clone-harvested Gameking handheld systems.

Here's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fsj_rebF4g

EDIT: I just read that he might dump his cart's ROM.

Barver

• View Profile
Gun-Force
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 10:08:58 PM »
Hmm, is this supposed to be using extra hardware? Going by comments it does, but if that affects something in graphics or sound or anything, I'm not seeing it in this game :P

It's interesting how many pirate originals are turning up on these clones now though. Some that possibly aren't on carts anywhere.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 10:09:54 PM by Barver »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Gun-Force
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:16:11 PM »
Looks like another variation on this thing, as seen in the what's this thread. Nice to see videos of the games though. & interesting that it has a difficulty switch on the actual console. thats something that pretty much hasnt been done since the Atari 2600 isnt it?

also the title screen music in Stoneage is from Zelda: Triforce of the Gods by Waixing. hmm. maybe theres a connection, or maybe they just stole it..
hmm, a couple of the other games have music from Zelda too. and the other stuff seems to be running on the same sound engine. either way its all NES music - it sounds like its sampled rather than playing on actual NES/clone sound hardware but that might just be the way the video was recorded. if it is actual NES music i'd guess its running on a VT03, if its sampled its probably a VT168 or something by Sunplus.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:25:33 PM by taizou »

iniche

• View Profile
Gun-Force
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:39:33 PM »
Looking at the Contra clone's Game over/intermission screen, I somehow feel it's the same company (at least this game) as Commando/Super X Man. Then again, this is Timetop...

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Gun-Force
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 04:58:32 AM »
The music is certainly different to most of these games I've seen, and judging by the graphics I think this runs on the VT03. The graphics in Stoneage are from the Flintstones game on the Mega Drive, I think. In the Risker games, the palm trees on the title screen look like they were copied from Sonic the Hedgehog and the level looks a lot like World 1-3 from Adventure Island. Also, what's Buster Bunny doing on Adventure's title screen?

Brn89

• View Profile
Gun-Force
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 08:48:03 AM »
The game looks alright, but I cannot figure out what system it's for. It has 16-bit graphics but 8-bit sound :huh:
>>mindsConnected<<
The next-generation tech forum.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gun-Force
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 12:27:54 PM »
Like I said, I think it's OneBus VT03, which is essentially modified Famicom hardware. Basically, it's capable of better graphics than a real Famicom.

iniche

• View Profile
Gun-Force
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 04:02:27 PM »
It is its own system. It's some 16-bit clone kind of thing.

My biggest concern is the video guy saying he'll dump the ROM himself... what emulator will run it?

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gun-Force
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 04:30:04 PM »
Well if its VT03 or VT168, EmuVT will run it.. if its Sunplus or something else, i dunno. the rom might provide some clues though.

iniche

• View Profile
Gun-Force
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 07:38:02 PM »
What is that? Some kind of unlicensed system?

And who designed the EmuVT?

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gun-Force
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 07:42:50 PM »
EmuVT was designed by JungleTac if I remember correctly.

VT03, VT168, etc are proprietary system formats based off the Famicom (The former is, at least. Not entirely sure on the VT168) made for clone systems.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Gun-Force
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 10:50:09 PM »
Hm, there were some discussions recently in the "What's This" thread about some consoles with these same Timetop games. Except that these have even more of them (36 and 87, respectively). (Edit: ...And now I see that taizou mentioned this above. My brain is in need of sleep.)

Now that I've seen those 7 games in action, I'm curious about the other ones!
Dude, the in-game music in Stone Age is from Waixing's Digital Dragon. (Y'know, the one that's a port of VFame's Digimon 3?)

Between that and the Zelda thing, there has got to be some sort of connection between Waixing and Timetop. Hm.
The title screen of Adventure is totally a ripoff of Kirby's Adventure, between the stars and, well, the word "Adventure".
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:44:36 PM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gun-Force
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 11:52:18 PM »
ooh. yeah, I could accept one Waixing tune as a fluke of random music-stealage, but two from different games... there must be some sort of connection there. Waixing seem to outsource a lot, maybe some of their games were either developed by Timetop, or both Waixing and Timetop used the same external developer?
codeman38
May 27 2011, 10:50:09 PM
The title screen of Adventure is totally a ripoff of Kirby's Adventure, between the stars and, well, the word "Adventure".[/quote]Yeah, and Adventure itself is a ripoff of Don't Pull from the 3 Wonders arcade game by Capcom, which was already a pretty blatant clone of Pengo. and Don't Pull was also cloned by Chuanpu as Smart Mouse, and by Jungletac as... something. Dunno why it's such a popular target.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:16:09 AM by taizou »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Gun-Force
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 12:33:20 AM »
Another really weird thing: in "Risker", the music seems to be constantly increasing in pitch/speed. I'm seriously curious as to why. Is it just a 2A03 that's slowly being overclocked? (The VT168 is basically an overclocked dual-core 2A03, so it's possible. Edit: No, I was misremembering-- according to VRTech, it's an overclocked dual-core 6502, and doesn't appear to have the NES sound generator included. But then there's Highway Racing on VT168, which has the very-obviously-NES fanfare in it. So who knows.) Or is the NES music actually a sample that's being played at variable speed?

Seriously, this thing is just bizarre.

Edit: Ah, that's what happened-- I'm getting my VRTech chips mixed up. The VT168 doesn't include the NES sound generator, but the way-too-similarly-named VT16 does contain that sound hardware... and can be overclocked to 5 MHz. Which would explain NES-style music playing much faster than on an NES.
Incidentally, this is most definitely the same Timetop that made the Game King. One of the handhelds discussed in the "What's This" thread is listed on their web site... with a screenshot that obviously does not belong to that console at all.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:29:43 AM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gun-Force
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 05:10:33 AM »
codeman38
May 28 2011, 12:33:20 AM
Another really weird thing: in "Risker", the music seems to be constantly increasing in pitch/speed. I'm seriously curious as to why. Is it just a 2A03 that's slowly being overclocked? (The VT168 is basically an overclocked dual-core 2A03, so it's possible. Edit: No, I was misremembering-- according to VRTech, it's an overclocked dual-core 6502, and doesn't appear to have the NES sound generator included. But then there's Highway Racing on VT168, which has the very-obviously-NES fanfare in it. So who knows.) Or is the NES music actually a sample that's being played at variable speed?

Seriously, this thing is just bizarre.[/quote]I figured that first thing would be an error with the video recording device and not the console itself, because it'd be really weird if it was caused by the latter. It doesn't happen with the other games (as far as I can tell) and seeing as Risker is the first game on there, I doubt the whole VTxx(x) thing has anything to do with it.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Highway Racing game used a PCM sample or something like that, which might explain why the tune plays slower than usual. (They probably recorded it off a PAL Famiclone or something)

BTW, what are the other games anyway?