Author Topic: Need help finding a DKC2 bootleg that is not Super Donkey Kong 2  (Read 3465 times)

Gretgor

• View Profile
Need help finding a DKC2 bootleg that is not Super Donkey Kong 2
« on: February 12, 2019, 07:37:13 PM »
First of all, greetings to all of you! I'm new to the forums, yay!

Second, I've recently been thinking of a game I played as a kid in my Famiclone (my first console) that I now realize was a DKC2 bootleg. It was not the Super Donkey Kong 2 most people are familiar with, it was very different. It actually featured Dixie, but instead of both Kongs being on screen at the same time, they'd just "transform" into each other when you pressed select. It also had tons of worlds and levels, even some of those balloon levels and quite a few very hard water levels. It also had some bosses that were rather hard to fight given the clunky controls, but I digress.

I searched far and wide on the Internet, even in the second page of Google, and found nothing. The Bootleg Games Wiki does not list it either. I wonder if it is just a very, very rare game that never got dumped. If it's any help, I'm from Brazil, so it may be that this bootleg only existed here? I dunno.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:39:05 PM by Gretgor »

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Need help finding a DKC2 bootleg that is not Super Donkey Kong 2
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 10:09:14 AM »
Honestly, that's new to me, I haven't heard anything like that. You wouldn't happen to remember what the cart looked liked?

Y2K05

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 06:00:58 PM »
This is definitely a game i'd like to see resurface. What was the name of your Famiclone?

Gretgor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 06:38:38 PM »
Honestly, that's new to me, I haven't heard anything like that. You wouldn't happen to remember what the cart looked liked?

If I remember correctly, it was basically a regular yellow cartridge, with a very clear picture of Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong, each on one side of the Donkey Kong logo, with "Diddy's Kong Quest" written under it. I'm not sure I remember exactly, but that is what I can remember.

I don't remember there being any sticker on the back of the cartridge, however.

This is definitely a game i'd like to see resurface. What was the name of your Famiclone?

It was one of a few dozen Famiclone models that were around back in my day in Brazil. It was called "Mega Power", and was manufactured by a company called "NEO" or something. It was black, came with a blue light gun and two joysticks that were shaped and styled after Mega Drive/Genesis joysticks. The DKC2 cartridge was not included in the console, however. It was bought in retail for cheap.

I was eventually gifted a used Sega Master System by my cousins, and my parents gave my Famiclone away, alongside all of its cartridges. I don't know who has it presently, unfortunately. That was more than twenty years ago, so chances are it is gathering dust in someone's basement by now.

EDIT: I found a picture of the console in a Greek website!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:42:05 PM by Gretgor »

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 08:50:33 AM »
I'm assuming it's not this cart but I'd imagine the art looks similar to the picture in the bottom right here?:

Gretgor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 10:04:08 PM »
I'm assuming it's not this cart but I'd imagine the art looks similar to the picture in the bottom right here?:

I'm not sure, it's been too long, but I'm pretty sure that "Donkey Kong" was written in full rather than abbreviated.