Author Topic: Bootleg Toys  (Read 23357 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bootleg Toys
« on: April 13, 2011, 11:38:09 PM »
Just setting up a thread to discuss strange bootleg toys... because sometimes they're just as bizarre as bootleg video games.

Here's two to start that I just found tonight while YouTube-surfing:

Super Change Tomas. A video review of a toy that's a cross between Transformers, Super Sentai... and Thomas the Tank Engine. Yes. Really. And here's a Japanese blog post with even more pictures of this bizarre mutation.

And from there, I somehow stumbled upon Bear of the Interest, which is, I suppose, what happens when Winnie the Pooh gets crossed with a Teletubby. The box has some hilarious Engrish on it. ("High Class Weapon"?!) And apparently, in further incongruity, it plays what sounds like a couple-seconds loop of a Smile.DK song Aqua's "Lollipop".
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:17:59 PM by codeman38 »

Barver

• View Profile
Bootleg Toys
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 01:22:43 AM »
Man that stuff is fucked up :o

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Bootleg Toys
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:32:26 AM »
codeman38
Apr 13 2011, 11:38:09 PM
Super Change Tomas. A video review of a toy that's a cross between Transformers, Super Sentai... and Thomas the Tank Engine. Yes. Really. And here's a Japanese blog post with even more pictures of this bizarre mutation.[/quote]Reminds me of that Covertor Train Ashens did a video of recently. Also managed to find another one that's apparently from a Japanese company. Seriously, why are these companies obsessed with combining Transformers and Thomas the Tank Engine? Also among that page is Batman riding a horse because Harry Potter stole his Batmobile and gave it a chavvy paint job as well as a cross between Transformers and the Titanic. Here's the latter in more detail. :D

A couple I remember from watching Brydo's video of weird toys would be the Supper Rangers and that mutant cross between Winnie the Pooh and an arachnid, neither of which I can find a picture of ATM. :\

Oh, and apparently Bruceploitation isn't just prevalent in films and pirated games. Looking on Google Images I found this topic showing a series of Super Powers toys.

Also, it might be worth pointing out that these POS are easy to find in places like Poundland (or whatever the equivalent is elsewhere) and the Mediterranean. Pokémon/Yu-Gi-Oh/etc bootleg cards tend to be very common in Cyprus from what I've noticed.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bootleg Toys
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:23:56 AM »
Cheetahmen
Apr 14 2011, 05:32:26 AM
Also, it might be worth pointing out that these POS are easy to find in places like Poundland (or whatever the equivalent is elsewhere) and the Mediterranean. Pokémon/Yu-Gi-Oh/etc bootleg cards tend to be very common in Cyprus from what I've noticed.[/quote]Oh, yeah. I've seen this stuff all over the place at dollar stores here in the States. Usually with utterly nonsensical Engrish on the packaging, to boot.

They're pretty common at flea markets, too-- I know I've seen bootleg Yu-Gi-Oh cards and some sort of obviously fake Spider-Man (I think it was the one that was spelled "Spidar-Men", but it might've been another one) at my local flea market.
Cheetahmen
Apr 14 2011, 05:32:26 AM
Reminds me of that Covertor Train Ashens did a video of recently.[/quote]Wow, how did I miss that? I need to just subscribe to Ashens' channel already. :)
Oh, yeah, another thing: as I hinted at above with Bear of the Interest, bootleg toy makers love their Eurodance.

There are a bunch of toy phones-- including the infamous "Benign Girl" line-- that play the first line of Smile.DK's "Butterfly" in a loop. And then there's the Spiderman knockoff version.

There's a whole line of toys that plays the refrain from "Kiss Kiss" by the Vengaboys. Over. And over. And over. Like this dog. And this Mini Cooper.

And then there's these Pooh toys reviewed by Mike Mozart. One of them plays "Around the World" by Aqua; the other is "My World" by Sophie. And then there's a Lightning McQueen knockoff that plays 2 Unlimited.

Speaking of Cars, Mike did a video on Cars knockoffs too. One of 'em has the same Sophie sound chip from the Pooh toy. The other one is a strange mutant Lightning McQueen with wheels going around larger wheels, that plays... "The Lonely Goatherd" from The Sound Of Music. What.

Edit: Yet another one with the Sophie sound chip: Creepy Mutant Flashing Nemo.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:29:20 AM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Bootleg Toys
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 11:36:21 AM »
codeman38

There are a bunch of toy phones-- including the infamous "Benign Girl" line-- that play the first line of Smile.DK's "Butterfly" in a loop. And then there's the Spiderman knockoff version.[/quote]
Funnily enough, one of my mates had some odd wand or something that also played a loop of Butterfly, except it was the whole chorus and it played at a reasonable speed. Also, why is it that the stolen music is slightly faster than normal with these toys?
Edit: Just found this bootleg toy of Mario and Yoshi, or rather demon-eyed Yoshi and Stewie Griffin's mutant brother. :P
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:45:40 AM by Awesome Panda »

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Bootleg Toys
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 05:29:33 PM »
codeman38
Apr 13 2011, 11:38:09 PM
Super Change Tomas. A video review of a toy that's a cross between Transformers, Super Sentai... and Thomas the Tank Engine. Yes. Really. And here's a Japanese blog post with even more pictures of this bizarre mutation.
[/quote]...I really want that now.

D-Pad Doc

• Formerly Neomysterion Prime
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
Bootleg Toys
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »
Super Change Tomas is a pretty awesome blend between something kiddie with something that's 110% awesome! That Bear of the Interest thing seems pretty odd to me. That "Creepy Mutant Flashing Nemo" could give little ones odd nightmares if they play with him so much. o_O

I absolutely want a Super Change Tomas one day...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:25:14 PM by Neomysterion Prime »

^ Link to my game collection (may be slightly out of date).

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Bootleg Toys
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 05:31:28 PM »
Found a generic Barbie ripoff earlier while looking around inside a "pound" store (by which I mean that a lot of items weren't actually being sold for a pound).

Spoiler: click to toggle

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Bootleg Toys
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 05:55:45 PM »
Vague Shat :D that's amazing.

Brn89

• View Profile
Bootleg Toys
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 09:37:23 AM »
Haha, interesting :D This thread has given me an idea to do another video of bootleg toys! D:
>>mindsConnected<<
The next-generation tech forum.

Barver

• View Profile
Bootleg Toys
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 10:57:08 PM »
One of the bootleggers must have known his employers don't understand English and decided to have a little fun :D Though he's probably not perfect either since he likely meant to say "shit" :P

PlayerSecelt

• View Profile
Bootleg Toys
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 07:10:32 AM »
I have some photos of some Chinese Lego Toys, one of them says "Fully exert your inaqination" (I didn't take a pic of that one :() and one of them has some text which reads "Toy" and something under it, but the Toy font is stolen from the Toy Story logo!

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bootleg Toys
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 12:01:11 PM »
Barver
Apr 25 2011, 10:57:08 PM
One of the bootleggers must have known his employers don't understand English and decided to have a little fun :D Though he's probably not perfect either since he likely meant to say "shit" :P[/quote]Actually, I'm thinking it was what happened when someone who couldn't tell the difference between "a" and "o" tried to transcribe "Vogue Shot".

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Bootleg Toys
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 01:08:07 PM »
codeman38
Apr 26 2011, 12:01:11 PM
Barver
Apr 25 2011, 10:57:08 PM
One of the bootleggers must have known his employers don't understand English and decided to have a little fun :D Though he's probably not perfect either since he likely meant to say "shit" :P[/quote]Actually, I'm thinking it was what happened when someone who couldn't tell the difference between "a" and "o" tried to transcribe "Vogue Shot".[/quote]Hence why if you're going to make something in English, best to hire someone who knows the bloody language.

That said, "vague shit" would be a more accurate description. :P

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bootleg Toys
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 01:17:34 PM »
I just realized that the song Bear of the Interest plays isn't Smile.DK, it's Aqua's "Lollipop". (To be fair, the sound quality was so terrible that I couldn't decipher the lyrics at all, and they're both Scandinavian bubblegum-dance groups, so yeah...)

(For the even more curious, the line repeated over and over and over appears to be "I wish that I were a bubble gum, chewing on me, baby, all day long.")

Edit: What caused me to realize this, incidentally? Yep, yet another bootleg toy. Specifically, this egg-laying chicken which has the very same sound chip (of course!).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:24:21 PM by codeman38 »