Author Topic: Supervision: handheld of the less fortunate  (Read 20119 times)

MLX

• View Profile
Re: Supervision: handheld of the less fortunate
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 10:39:35 AM »
I see it's not mentionned anywhere on the site but the SuperVision was released by Tiger Electronics in Taiwan as well. (Taike, not the Tiger we know in America, they seem to have copied Tiger's old logo).

Photo credit: Blip - Retro gaming blogger in Taiwan.

Mr. Sound-About

• Never let dreams die!
    • View Profile
    • Super Fighter Team
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 06:01:26 AM »
All righty then! The page for the single-game cartridge version of Cross High actually has some content on it now, but don't get excited 'cuz it's just some screenshots and a note about the (non-)ending.

While preparing this stuff, I've been listening to the soundtrack of the far superior Motocross Maniacs for the Game Boy: the game Cross High poorly ripped off. Irony? Or just common sense? Maybe a little bit of both.

www.diskman.com/presents/supervision
Check out Diskman Presents : full of geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 07:42:34 PM »
Hello, I'd like to say thanks for setting up this website as it's good to have a site that documents all of the games, hardware specs and such. I was always curious why several of the games have a copyright date of 1991 when the system wasn't released until 1992 though. I'm also suspicious that Bon Treasure and GTC were just pseudonyms for Watara to try and make it look like there were more companies developing games for it,  though I haven't seen any confirmation of that. ???
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 07:44:05 PM by Awesome Panda »

Mr. Sound-About

• Never let dreams die!
    • View Profile
    • Super Fighter Team
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 08:20:07 AM »
Recent site updates...

• November 30, 2019:
The game instructions archive on the scans page was updated to include Italian language instructions for 2-in-1: Block Buster / Cross High, Delta Hero, Space Fighter, and Super Block. Not exciting enough for ya? Well, keep your eyes peeled 'cuz I've got a few blister pack insert scans coming along shortly.

• December 5, 2019:
Surprise!! I'm back with more blister pack inserts, as promised. So... it's not really a surprise. Anyway! You get 2-in-1: Block Buster / Cross High, and Soccer Champion. Soccer Champion's instructions have also been added, in English and Italian. Urrà! Soccer Champion had proven a tough one to find complete. And 2-in-1: Block Buster / Cross High, I noticed, was imported by a firm named Cammarota S.R.L., instead of the more familiar Watary Italia. Curious!

guyzis

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2019, 08:42:37 AM »
Wait, Italian? So that means the games were released world-wide?

Mr. Sound-About

• Never let dreams die!
    • View Profile
    • Super Fighter Team
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2019, 04:37:43 AM »
the games were released world-wide?

Yes. Isn't that awful? :o

guyzis

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2019, 09:57:27 AM »
I'm 100% sure that aside from that there will be other languages as well. Since MLX said these were released in Taiwan, i do expect Chinese in both forms, too.

Mr. Sound-About

• Never let dreams die!
    • View Profile
    • Super Fighter Team
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2019, 02:13:57 AM »
I'm 100% sure that aside from that there will be other languages as well. Since MLX said these were released in Taiwan, i do expect Chinese in both forms, too.

Well, certainly. Look no further than my website for the proof: I have scans of game instructions in English, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish... and yes, even in Chinese.

guyzis

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2019, 10:43:09 AM »
Woah! Maybe there's other languages as well. Like, portuguese.

Mr. Sound-About

• Never let dreams die!
    • View Profile
    • Super Fighter Team
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2020, 05:03:48 AM »
Today's update:

Merry 2020, guys 'n' gals! Our first update of the year is, like the two updates that preceded it, all about scans. For one, I busted Block Buster out of its tight, repressive blister pack to get scans of the insert + English & Italian language instructions. And, two-hoo! There's scans of the Golden Free Trade Supervision box and instructions, from down Mexico way. Fab stuff, amirite?

Mr. Sound-About

• Never let dreams die!
    • View Profile
    • Super Fighter Team
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2020, 04:12:53 AM »
Today's update...

The other night I thought to myself, “I should get pictures of all the Crystball levels.” Then I laughed. Then I paused for a moment, raising an eyebrow. Then, I actually went and got all the pictures!! What is wrong with me?! (Wait, don't answer that.) Playing through Crystball again after all these years... sucked. But, I was able to notice and document some quirky details about the game's behavior. These stunning revelations are now available for you to overlook.

On the scanning front, Mark Canon (aka “stupus”) was kind enough to send in the following: blue boxes for 14 games, Galaxy Fighter and Journey to the West cartridge labels, and the official Goldnation price list and order form. W0w! Thanks, Mark!

Finally! Two more pages of Dixons ads were added to the existing PDF. Apparently the updated file had been sitting here for quite some time, waiting to be uploaded. Sorry, eh!

Mr. Sound-About

• Never let dreams die!
    • View Profile
    • Super Fighter Team
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2020, 05:14:42 AM »
Today's update:

A rather interesting update around here, for a change: I've acquired and scanned sets of instructions for Crystball and Hero Kid from the Travellmate era, aka the earliest known issue of what soon became (unfortunately) known as the Supervision.

The Crystball set is especially interesting as it includes text in the game description that doesn't seem to appear in any of the later prints. Specifically, this gem of a line appears: “The animals may disturb you in the game, you can kill them with Crystball ans you will be scored, too.” (Terrible English and misspelling of the word “and” are faithfully reproduced from the source material.) Delightful. So make a beeline for the scans page and have a laugh.

https://www.diskman.com/presents/supervision/scans.htm

guyzis

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2020, 06:22:56 AM »
Is this even official!? Bad english in a licensed product!?

Ankos

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2020, 11:03:43 AM »
Poor translations in licensed games were once pretty common. On NES there were countless examples of odd grammar or misspellings (Bimmy and Jimmy), but a more recent example would be the Megaman Battle Network series' notably spotty translation. For a Supervision to have an iffy translation is not that surprising. Keep in mind, almost all the games for it were made by smaller companies than the ones out in Japan. They likely did not view spending more on translation as a worthwhile investment

Ninjinister

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2020, 05:12:18 AM »
Whatchoo doin' there, Momotarō?